Plastic Blades? No Thanks! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Plastic Blades? No Thanks!

Old 10-18-2006, 06:26 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Default Plastic Blades? No Thanks!

Pardon me while I "rant".

I think I said something yesterday about not crashing since I took the training gear off. Somehow I knew I cursed myself! I went down to the garage this morning, right after my coffee, to fly my CP Pro. I guess because the caffeine hadn't hit yet I must have thought I was on my G3 Sim and not the real CP Pro. Anyway, I hit the throttle and of course the CP explodes off the floor and immediately banks hard right. Realizing what I had just done, I cut the throttle and watched it hit the floor. @#%&*!!!!

First thing I notice is the tail rotor hanging from the broken boom. I know there are people here that praise plastic blades. Y'all can have 'em! I took mine off the wreckage and promptly chopped them up with some tin-snips and tossed the pieces in the trash. Never again! I might add this is the second time I've cut a tail boom with those things so you would think I should know better! Whats worse is I just ordered another set (in black this time - thought they would look better). Oh well. I'll find something to do with them but I sure am not flying them anymore. Back to the wooden ones, that is once I get this mess back together. The tail boom replacement isn't going well this time. I think I'm going to have to swap all the parts over to my spare frame. At least I'm getting good at tearing this thing down and rebuilding it.

While I'm at it, let's talk about sims, shall we? Personally, I think they are a great learning tool, provided you can stay focused on learning and not goof off. I found it too easy to "get brave" and do things on the sim I would NEVER try on the real heli. Problem with that is I got on the real heli this morning and proceeded to fly in the same stupid reckless manner I would do while goofing off on the sim. Unfortunately, my real CP doesn't have that nice little "reset" button.

Well, back to the garage to rebuild my CP again.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Quattro

I feel for ya man. I couldn't deal with the plastics because of both flex and weight. I know the price might be hard to swallow initially, but the carbon's are the cat's meow. There is no comparison between them and woodies....they're remarkably tough, balanced out of the bag, and super stiff. They only minor issue (not really an issue) is that they pretty much disappear at speed.....you might want to add some tape to the tips.

Sorry about your crash....unfortunately I can tear a CP down and have it rebuilt in a flash, blindfolded, after flying (and crashing) them since the first CP's hit the market.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Radio Flyer 2

Default Ooopsy

Sorry to hear about mishap, but I will remember not to get plastic blades. What flight sim are you using since I think I should use one befor flying cp which will be my next bird after I get on my CX. It should be here Friday 10/20/ 06. Do you have any knowlege about CX?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:33 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I feel for ya man. I couldn't deal with the plastics because of both flex and weight. I know the price might be hard to swallow initially, but the carbon's are the cat's meow. There is no comparison between them and woodies....they're remarkably tough, balanced out of the bag, and super stiff. They only minor issue (not really an issue) is that they pretty much disappear at speed.....you might want to add some tape to the tips.

Sorry about your crash....unfortunately I can tear a CP down and have it rebuilt in a flash, blindfolded, after flying (and crashing) them since the first CP's hit the market.
I have a set of carbons. I've been saving them for after I quit breaking the wooden ones (I have a bunch). WHY I had those @#%&*! plastics on there, I don't know.

Originally Posted by Radio Flyer 2 View Post
Sorry to hear about mishap, but I will remember not to get plastic blades. What flight sim are you using since I think I should use one befor flying cp which will be my next bird after I get on my CX. It should be here Friday 10/20/ 06. Do you have any knowlege about CX?
I have a CX. Still fly it sometimes. Seems too easy now though. For a sim, I have G3. There is a download for a "Bladelike CP" (do a search on this site) that you can use on G3. It's about as close as I've seen anyone get to a real CP but it's still not there. Something that someone pointed out on another forum made a lot of sense to me regarding sim helis. If you think about it, the sim heli is perfectly trimmed and set up and is going to fly like it. It's a mathematical equation. 1+1 is always going to equal 2, period. The real heli can only get so close but it's doubtful could ever be perfect. Therefore, the two will never fly the same.

One thing about the CP. There are various threads in several forums about setting them up. Out of the box they fly so-so. If you spend time making all the adjustments as close to perfect as you can get them, it makes a huge difference in how it will fly. I was amazed at the difference.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:43 PM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Also take FSOne that has the real blade cp and cx in it.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Quattro

As a footnote: If anyone really wants to try plastics, The 3D-X400 plastics for the Shogun and it's other labels, can be found for $6 per pair. Trim them down to the correct length and "voila".

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...roducts_id=516

Admins: hope the link is OK, apologies if it's not
Old 10-18-2006, 09:06 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by debhicks View Post
Also take FSOne that has the real blade cp and cx in it.
That's the one originally wanted to get (mainly because of the CP and CX) but when I was at the hobby shop, well G3 was there and I couldn't remember which one and out came the credit card...

Really, I think they are both good though.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:02 PM
RUSH

Talking about the sim, one thing I find the sim very useful for is practicing getting out of crazy situations. What I do is look away from the screen and randomly flip the sticks around for a second or two, then look back and try to recover the heli. This helps with being able to quickly recognize the helis orientation and, of course, to help figure out how to get out of those situations we sometimes get into.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:01 AM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
Talking about the sim, one thing I find the sim very useful for is practicing getting out of crazy situations. What I do is look away from the screen and randomly flip the sticks around for a second or two, then look back and try to recover the heli. This helps with being able to quickly recognize the helis orientation and, of course, to help figure out how to get out of those situations we sometimes get into.
What I tend to do is get into crazy situations on the sim, without really thinking of how to get out of them. If I crash, no problem, just hit the little red button and PRESTO! Like the crash never happened. That's the problem I have with sims. I allow myself to get into bad situations because I know it isn't real. Then I get on the real heli and sort of forget where I am and do the same dumb things I do on the "virtual heli". That's sort of what happened this morning.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:24 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
never thought about that, thats really a good idea, I have FMS, No not the best sim but it teaches you something. I think the threedee heli is like a moded set up heli its touchy and will do rolls and loops and inverted and all.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:28 PM
GTX_SlotCar

Originally Posted by gsk11740 View Post
Pardon me while I "rant".

.... Whats worse is I just ordered another set (in black this time - thought they would look better). Oh well. I'll find something to do with them but I sure am not flying them anymore....
Hang on to them for a while. We've got a titanium tail boom coming out real soon. It should give those machetes (aka Plasti-blades) a tough time.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:57 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by GTX_SlotCar View Post
Hang on to them for a while. We've got a titanium tail boom coming out real soon. It should give those machetes (aka Plasti-blades) a tough time.
Cool! I may be waiting to put it back together anyway since,

1. I found out the Spektrum DX7 is coming out soon and,

2. I'm thinking about upgrading to the newer superskids (v3) and,

3. Radd is doing a "special" training session with me on this site and wants me to use the CX to start (not sure why the CX but I'm not questioning either - I'm sure the Master has his reasons ).

So I may not need the CP for a while and the poor thing really needs a rest anyway so I'll await the new tail boom.

Thanks!
Gary.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:44 PM
GTX_SlotCar

I can understand using the CX. I have a Lama2 and it was a very helpful tool (more than a flight sim.) for learning to fly. It pretty much centers itself when you release the cyclic control. Learn nose-in, tail-in, and all the way through pirouettes and FFF with the x-rotor. You don't really have to concentrate on the hover aspect. Then going to a conventional heli and learning to hover is much easier, and so is the climb from there. You're dancing with the stars in no time
Old 10-20-2006, 02:12 AM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Not sure we are using the CX now. Radd said to start with doing fast pirouettes and "don't burn out the tail motor". When I told him it didn't have a tail motor, well that may have changed the plans a bit. I'm waiting for his response but I have a feeling I'm going to be putting the CP back together tomorrow. I might be pinning the tail though instead of using CA. That stuff is nasty. I ruined the original frame trying to get it apart (yes I used CA dissolver - whatever it's called). Fortunately, I had an extra frame.

Man, this has been a long week!