Spektrum DX6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Spektrum DX6

Old 09-07-2006, 03:12 PM
ShokWaveRider

Default Spektrum DX6

Again folks, I am new so please bear with me. I could not find a dedicated radio section so I am posting this here.

I read the reviews on this forum for this unit.

It seems like a good choice for my level of flying and current interests. (I cannot see more than 2000ft away anyway )

Anyway my real question(s) is/are:

A lot of folk say ONLY for use with Park Flyers or Backyard Flyers (Same in my books).

What is the reason for this? Please remember range is NOT and issue.

I reviewed the RX and it is capable of driving large servos if needed, so it is a little expensive and you have to use it (AR6000), as no other RX works. But again not a show stopper for +/- $20.

Is there any ELECTRONIC or ELECTRIC reason why the system cannot be used in for example:

1) A full size 60 size Helicopter? (Electric Equivalent)

2) A 60 Size RC Aerobatic Aircraft? (Electric Equivalent)

3) A 30 or 40 size heli for that matter? (Electric Equivalent)

4) I understand the servos will have to be capable of driving all the control surfaces, but other than that, are there ANY Reasons one cannot us the DX6 TX and RX with any combination providing RANGE IS NOT AN ISSUE?

5) Has anyone actually used this radio as an all rounder?

I do not need the complex programming of a Futaba 9C. I had complex computer radios in my younger years some 10 -15 years ago before I gave up RC for a while and never used all the features.

I am however getting back into it in my retirement and do not want to overkill on the radio.

I mainly flew helis but certainly not aerobatic, simply for fun. I will want to go with the largest ELECTRIC Heli that I can get my hands on eventually and want a readio that will cope, both mechanically and electrically.

All help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

SWR
Old 09-07-2006, 06:23 PM
adhoc
(inactive)

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
A lot of folk say ONLY for use with Park Flyers or Backyard Flyers (Same in my books).

As I understand it, the general reason is that Spektrum is being conservative; they don't want to get blamed if somebody specks their plane and loses/crashes it. By emphasizing parkflyers, they target towards folks who don't have as much room to fly, and so are pretty unlikely to find the range limits. Also, I think there is a potential issue with big hunks of metal (e.g. nitro engine) blocking the signal if the angles are just right. Less chance of that with smaller foamy electrics, so they emphasize those.

All that being said, there is no particular reason you couldn't use a DX6 as a general radio. I think folks I've read here at WattFlyer have successfully used it in many different type and size RC craft and at much greater range than the official Spektrum suppported range. (Hopefully we'll hear directly from some of them here!)

I personally love my DX6, but then I really do only fly parkflyers/foamies, and keep them relatively close in, so I'm the ideal target market for the DX6...
Old 09-07-2006, 06:25 PM
jipp

the main reason is because the bigger planes have more metal and that _could_ interfear with your signal.

chris.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:40 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I have 2 DX6's and love them dearly! I have not found any literature anywhere that specifically states why they say for parkflyer use only...

As others have said here it is probably a range issue. I have a 62" wingspan C-130 that can get quite a ways out and I have not had any problems with it. I have had my slow stick so high I could barely see it, just a speck in the sky and no problems.

It is a wonderful radio and it sounds like it would be well suited for your use.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:22 PM
jipp

I got the metal issue from a thread from the ENgineer of the DX6 on rc universe. you can do a search there for all the details. well a guy who interviewed him. shrugs so just hear say i guess. bUt it make sence since bigger planes would have a heck of a lot more metal up front that could interfear.

chris.

I went with a optic 6.

servosity said it was latest batch and they got the issue they had fix.

im hoping they come out with a dx6 type module for it. if not ill get a DX6 when it has just as many options as the optic 6.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:21 PM
ShokWaveRider

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I have 2 DX6's and love them dearly! I have not found any literature anywhere that specifically states why they say for parkflyer use only...

As others have said here it is probably a range issue. I have a 62" wingspan C-130 that can get quite a ways out and I have not had any problems with it. I have had my slow stick so high I could barely see it, just a speck in the sky and no problems.

It is a wonderful radio and it sounds like it would be well suited for your use.
Thanks you for this GREAT feedback, good luck with your models.

SWR
Old 09-08-2006, 02:22 PM
ShokWaveRider

Originally Posted by jipp View Post
I got the metal issue from a thread from the ENgineer of the DX6 on rc universe. you can do a search there for all the details. well a guy who interviewed him. shrugs so just hear say i guess. bUt it make sence since bigger planes would have a heck of a lot more metal up front that could interfear.

chris.

I went with a optic 6.

servosity said it was latest batch and they got the issue they had fix.

im hoping they come out with a dx6 type module for it. if not ill get a DX6 when it has just as many options as the optic 6.
Thanks, for $200 you can't beatthe DX6 if range is not an issue.

SWR
Old 09-08-2006, 02:41 PM
ragbag
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Again folks, I am new so please bear with me. I could not find a dedicated radio section so I am posting this here.

I read the reviews on this forum for this unit.

It seems like a good choice for my level of flying and current interests. (I cannot see more than 2000ft away anyway )

Anyway my real question(s) is/are:

I reviewed the RX and it is capable of driving large servos if needed, so it is a little expensive and you have to use it (AR6000), as no other RX works. But again not a show stopper for +/- $20.

Is there any ELECTRONIC or ELECTRIC reason why the system cannot be used in for example:

1) A full size 60 size Helicopter? (Electric Equivalent)

2) A 60 Size RC Aerobatic Aircraft? (Electric Equivalent)

3) A 30 or 40 size heli for that matter? (Electric Equivalent)

4) I understand the servos will have to be capable of driving all the control surfaces, but other than that, are there ANY Reasons one cannot us the DX6 TX and RX with any combination providing RANGE IS NOT AN ISSUE?

5) Has anyone actually used this radio as an all rounder?

I do not need the complex programming of a Futaba 9C. I had complex computer radios in my younger years some 10 -15 years ago before I gave up RC for a while and never used all the features.

I am however getting back into it in my retirement and do not want to overkill on the radio.

I mainly flew helis but certainly not aerobatic, simply for fun. I will want to go with the largest ELECTRIC Heli that I can get my hands on eventually and want a readio that will cope, both mechanically and electrically.

All help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

SWR
The heli's that I have watched seem to be park flyers anyway, no matter what size. They never get that far away like a winged plane. I'm sure somewhere, sometime someone does get out a ways, but most fly in close.

Go for it.
IMHO.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:49 PM
ShokWaveRider

Has anyone done the Power Supply Upgrade to the TX unit to get more up time? 3X the battery life on the 600ma stock battery.

You can replace the Regulator with quite a few different options. A Super high efficiency regulator is available from CD Technologies for about $10. It is rated at 0.5a which is OK as the unit only draws 280ma (0.28a) with the inefficient stock regulator (Regular LM7803). The TX itself draws about 130ma or so (0.13a).

Design Engineerings unit is 1.25 amps which is a little larger and perhaps Overkill, but the same price and a good investment.

The Part Number from CD Technologies is 7803SR.

SWR
Old 09-08-2006, 09:54 PM
rclark
Oh boy, here we go again!

No but, the first thing I do when I get a new radio is swap out the 600mah battery for a 2600 (or so) size AA pack. Then every couple years swap it out for a fresh TX pack. Weight isn't in issue in a Tx .... Anyway that's what I do to make sure I have enough flight time at the field....

As for using the radio for big stuff .... I don't think you'll find anyone here that says "it'll work just fine in your heli" when the manufacturer doesn't even recommend it ..... Has worked fine for me in an Easy Star (specked out), Wright Flyer, GWS Zero, and now a 48" DLG, but as you can see that's small stuff .....

Last edited by rclark; 09-08-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:26 PM
radralph
My first Build

truerc has a 2000 lipo for the Dx6 for $30.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:43 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

I did the first printed review on the DX6 (for RCGroups) and had a bit of interaction with Horizon and the Spektrum team.

After my pleading with them that the "Parkflyer' designation was not needed by my un-scientific testing was not even warranted.

The reason they stated to me - was that the equipment on larger aircraft "may" and I am careful to use the word <i>MAY<i/> cause the signal to be masked.

I assume there were talking about a large glow engine here. With the ultra short frequencies here I bought it.

Seeing the "new" 2.4GHz offering - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...18&postcount=1 I am not so sure that is the case. This new one is full range and has a sub 1" antenna. They are testing on Turbine, Gliders and Heli's with no issues.

I know of those who didn't take the Parkflyer warnings on the DX6 and have flown them on large (.60 glow and larger) airplanes with "zero" issues....

In the end all I can say is exactly what I said in my review - the technology is very sound - and I really could not have been more impressed.

I know that Spektrum is working on a full range system for all aircraft types, I bet we see that before any of the "big" boys has their product to release....

Mike

Last edited by rcers; 09-09-2006 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:45 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Looks like your wait is about over.....
http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/xtremelink.php

Mike
Old 09-09-2006, 12:27 AM
jipp

Mike. thanks for the URL. pretty cool.

chris.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:32 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jipp View Post
Mike. thanks for the URL. pretty cool.

chris.
No kidding.....

I just found out one of the "other" reasons that JR/Futaba/Hitec may be taking so long to market.

I appears that Spektrum has a patent on the 2.4GHz system to "fly RC airplanes". It appears you can't design your own TX but can do the module....getting around the patent.....

Very interesting...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=118
Old 09-09-2006, 12:36 AM
rclark

Cool! Thanks Mike! Should work for my Hitec Eclipse 7 as well as my son's Optic 6. Have two Spektrum radios too.... Aint technology great? .
Old 09-09-2006, 12:40 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Should work for my Hitec Eclipse 7 as well as my son's Optic 6. Have two Spektrum radios too.... Aint technology great?
Yep and truthfully that is the joy of module based systems....no need to replace your programming and software you know and love...

Mike
Old 09-09-2006, 01:02 AM
rclark

Actually that may also work to Hitec, Futaba, etc. advantange... Looking down the road, they could consentrate thier R/D efforts on whizbang 'features' for the radio side (compete on capability) , while other companies like extremelink supplies the whizbang RF technology to all radio vendors.... and then just maybe we have a 'standard' across the board .... Tired of your JR, try a Hitec? Just go buy a radio and it 'will' be compatible with all your current Rx's.... Wishful thinking? maybe? maybe not? .
Old 09-09-2006, 01:05 AM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Had it in a 6 ft. electric Eastbourne Monoplane with no issues. Now installing it in a .60 size Topflite P51 Mustang.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:12 AM
adhoc
(inactive)

Originally Posted by rclark View Post
Actually that may also work to Hitec, Futaba, etc. advantange... Looking down the road, they could consentrate thier R/D efforts on whizbang 'features' for the radio side (compete on capability) , while other companies like extremelink supplies the whizbang RF technology to all radio vendors.... and then just maybe we have a 'standard' across the board .... Tired of your JR, try a Hitec? Just go buy a radio and it 'will' be compatible with all your current Rx's.... Wishful thinking? maybe? maybe not? .
I think this is an excellent point. One of the things I liked about RC when I got into it was that much of the electronics were interchangeable. At first I found this mildly annoying... why couldn't I just buy a single black box and hook everything (motor, battery, servos) to it, to keep it simple? But after a while I decided it was a Good Thing that I could mix and match ESCs, receivers, batteries, motors, servos, etc. Sure, there are definitely some limitations and gotchas, but in general this stuff is fairly flexible. So doing the same thing with radios would just give us a bit more flexibility and choice...
Old 09-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Bigfoot21075

The new module looks GREAT! The RX portion is certainly small enough to fit my small Alpha p47. Wonder when it will be released and how much $$?
Old 09-12-2006, 03:26 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bigfoot21075 View Post
The new module looks GREAT! The RX portion is certainly small enough to fit my small Alpha p47. Wonder when it will be released and how much $$?
I think they said $199 and that includes the module and 1 8ch RX. He didn't comment on release date - that I have seen...

Mike