Radian - a new plane from Parkzone - Page 54 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Radian - a new plane from Parkzone

Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM
doug773

Default Loved your video!

I've ordered both the cam and a flight stabilization device from HK, the later for only $17!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 AM
katuzo

Default Just Won a PK Radian today!

I've been going down to the field and been talking to Ed, aka AEAJR, about flying, and he told me that the club (LISF), gives away a free brand new Radian every year, so I entered the contest, and have been taking lessons from Ed. I can't believe it but today when the raffle was picked, the Lord blessed me, andI WON! This is such a great plane, and it's the one I've been learning on. It' so easy to fly, I can't wait till I get my bird up in the air and start soaring like the rest of you. Thank you, Ed and LISF.
Richie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Learn to fly - win a plane display  R.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	170216  
Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Richie,

Congratulations. We look forward to having you fly with us!
Old 08-11-2013, 07:35 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Congrats Katuzo, and welcome to WF! The Radian is one sweet plane. It has to be for all the experienced folks to enjoy it too. Enjoy!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:05 AM
Bperdue

Default Radian glider

I got a radian glider last week and love it! I found this forum and I can see where it will help me avoid many mistakes. The only problem I've had is the canopy flying off and I see the advise on this thread...thank you!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:18 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Do any of you Radian Pilots fly in electric sailplane contests of any kind?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:27 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I have been enjoying the ALES contest format. Lots of fun.

ALES group launch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Xo_w7hNbs&feature=relmfu

RCA highlight reel from Polecat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzfnWMQdCGc
Old 06-05-2014, 12:01 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

The 2 clubs I'm in have a monthly contest. They are timed climb instead of altitude limited. No formal prizes or anything. Just for fun.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:35 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Just for fun? I like just for fun!
Old 06-15-2014, 12:03 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Kinda breezy today, 10+ mph but my Radian and I decided it was a good day to go flying. Grabbed the Radian box, with everything I need inside, and headed to the field. On the second launch I added a ballast rod so it would penetrate better.

Over the next 90 minutes I went through 2 batteries. Didn't find any thermal lift but I found some good wave lift that gave me a nice ride.

Did a number of landings on an ALES landing tape. Did pretty well.

Love this grab and go e-glider.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:53 AM
Vivaxms
Biggles

Default Grab and go Radian

I know just how you feel AEAJR. I love my radian and try to keep her in my car at all times, just in case...
To give you an idea of the thermalling characteristics of this aircraftI can tell you a story from last Summer here in Adelaide, South Australia.
As the Radian is electric it means that I can fly in the Parklands in the centre of the city (I put a camera in the canopy a couple of times and got some great views of the city). One Saturday afternoon after a top temp of 40 degrees Celsius I launched my Radian and cut the throttle after a vertical 10 second run (about 200 feet). There was so much thermal activity around that it took me an hour to get her down. Finally she landed and I opted to pack her away in the car and get out the E-Flite Cub.
I had just assembled the Cub when I noticed 2 police officers heading straight for me. When they arrived they asked if I had been flying my aircraft and I confirmed that. They then told me that they had received a call from Air Traffic Control at Adelaide Airport saying that someone was flying above the legal height of 400 feet. I pointed to the miniscule J3 and said that this machine would not go near that height. They seemed to agree and walked off. I didn't mention the Radian hiding in the back of my car.
In the Summer in Adelaide one battery can fly you all day.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:14 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by Vivaxms View Post
I know just how you feel AEAJR. I love my radian and try to keep her in my car at all times, just in case...
snip...

In the Summer in Adelaide one battery can fly you all day.
I usually get an hour or more out of a battery if conditions are favorable.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:15 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Hello all you Radian pilots? Loving your Radian? I know I love mine.

If you are like me you have been spending time tuning and adjusting to make it fly the best it can. Now what are you going to do with it?

Let's see how good it flies. Let's see how good you fly. Let's see how well you can thermal your Radian and how well you can land it.

Any of you guys within a car ride of Mays Landing/Atlantic City NJ? If you are, why not pop a ALES/CAM unit into you glider and come play some ALES games.
http://www.soaringcircuits.com/

The South Jersey Silent Flyers are hosting an Eastern Soaring League ALES contest near Atlantic City Aug 30 and 31, Labor Day Weekend.

I have flown a bunch of ALES contests with my Radian and I won a couple of times with it too.

Oh sure, you might not win, but you might have a lot of fun and meet some great people. You might get some great tips on flying your Radian too. And heaven forbid, you might meet some great people who love flying e-gliders. I'll be there having lots of fun.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2224145

You prepared it, you tuned it, you learned to fly it, now come and play. Put that great flying to use.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:51 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Another great opportunity to enjoy your Radian and learn more about flying from experienced pilots. If you are within a a few hours of Long Island, NY, come on down to our ALES contest April 25 and 26.

If you are new at this you can fly Novice. Novice pilots fly FREE.

Give it a try. Discussion thread is here:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75166
Old 01-20-2015, 07:14 AM
pattern14
Super Contributor

Default after some time.....

It's been a couple of years since I bothered with my radian, as my weather conditions were always too rough for a plane like this. I managed to repair the tree damaged cartwheeled wings, although the fuse and everything else is beyound repair ( more gorilla glue than z foam ). I was always impressed by the wings on this plane, and underwhelmed by the rest, so it is worthwhile buiding another fair weather glider out of it. It means it won't get flown much, but it is pointless trying to persevere in 30-40 knot winds which abound over summer and spring ( I live in the direct blast of the roaring forties trade winds) Autumn is about the only time things settle, but is too cold for proper thermals. I'm thinking about making a v-tailed pusher out of it, as the potential is there.

I'll try and post a pic with a flight trial sometimes in the next few months
Old 04-04-2015, 03:49 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Another great opportunity to enjoy your Radian and learn more about flying from experienced pilots. If you are within a a few hours of Long Island, NY, come on down to our ALES contest April 25 and 26.

If you are new at this you can fly Novice. Novice pilots fly FREE.

Give it a try. Discussion thread is here:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75166
Any of you guys want to fly in an ALES contest at my field? We have 14 pilots registered so far. Should be fun!
Old 05-03-2015, 02:10 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

I put brakes on mine and I can now fly in confined spaces. It was damn hard getting it down sometimes.
I agree with pattern14 a couple of posts up. As it gets older the fuse gets more rubbery. I had to put some carbon strips in mine.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:52 AM
Born Too Loose
Born too Loose

Bits of foam testify to a severe stall spin problem, augured in from 300'. :[ I suspect my cg is too far aft, am I right?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:06 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Born Too Loose View Post
Bits of foam testify to a severe stall spin problem, augured in from 300'. :[ I suspect my cg is too far aft, am I right?
Hard to say just from that, but it is a possibility. Excessively aft CG will often make it impossible to recover from a spin.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:48 PM
Born Too Loose
Born too Loose

Every thing else is fairly stock. Running 0 degree declination, Did stuff some carbon 1x3 mm in the fuse for stiffening, static cg check indicates a couple mm behind spar, adding 1300 mah all the way aft. Lost orientation briefly on climbout and plane did a stall/backflip, next was a stall/spin from 350 to dirt. Flies beautifully, nothing seems twitchy, dive check, then WHAM! I'm on my 3rd fuselage in 6 mos! eeeekkk
Old 05-18-2015, 09:09 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Are you checking CG without battery THEN stuffing the battery all the way back? That would guarantee the CG so far back that you are lucky to be able to fly it at all.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:25 AM
Born Too Loose
Born too Loose

Nah, battery installed, canopy and rubber band retainer in place, but measured cg is at 74 to 75mm, I think I'm going back to factory cg for awhile, after gluing the bits back together. ;] Incidentally, is CL over the main spar?