Another newb seeking advice - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Another newb seeking advice

Old 07-09-2009, 01:01 AM
2400rdr

Default Another newb seeking advice

I've flown planes in the past, and have been flying helicopters recently. For some reason, the idea of a powered glider has taken hold of me, but just like the helicopters, it seems like there's a lot to know before you can make a choice. I'm interested in a hotliner/warmliner type of plane- I'd like to be able to do mild aerobatics, fast passes and working of thermals if the opportunity presents itself (lot of hot summer days in North Florida). Being able to do 40G power dive pullouts is not a requirement for this glider Also, I'd like to find something that will take a power system that'll use this pile of 3S 2200mah batteries that I already have for the helis. Ailerons, rudder and elevator preferred (or ruddervator or whatever you call the mixing of rudder and elevator in a V tail), and flaps might be nice, but I think my DX7 might be able to do flap/ aileron mixing. Not quite sure on that. I've been looking at some of the planes from R2Hobbies- anyone know anything about them? One last thing- I'm doing entry level stuff, so a megabuck full carbon model is not really necessary. I've got batteries and a receiver, maybe servos, and would like to keep the investment down to $350.00 or so to start. Any suggestions? Thanks- Rick
Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 AM
xlr8rr

Hi Rick. By the sounds of it you might do well with a Multiplex Easyglider PRO. I have one and its a blast. I also was into electric choppers..T-Rex and use my 3 cell 2200mah batteries from them in the Easyglider. If you have not flown a glider before then this one is forgiving enough and will deliver the awesome feeling of a well designed glider doing as it should. Useing the 3 cell 2200mah batteries I think I come in at only 100grams over the recomended spec. I found I had too much wing flex with the heavier setup so fixed this with two strips of 1 inch fiberglass reinforced tape that runs the full length of the underside of the wing. The DX-7 you have will be able to control the full functions of this plane including spoilers and flaps function. I would recommend the use of nothing less than a AR6200 reciever as these gliders can travel large distances. Also I used HS-81 servos on each aileron. The recommended multiplex are to light in my opinion.
I am a easyglider fan and this is my sole opinion. Ive not heard of anyone who isnt very happy with their easyglider PRO. Especially for the price.
Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:33 AM
Suncoaster
Dave Walker

Hi Rick You mentioned a warm liner/hot liner type model in that case you could not go far wrong with a multiplex blizzard as an introduction to electric gliders. While I have and like the multiplex easyglider pro you would not class it as a warm liner. I have seen a couple of the blizzards fly and they would suit your stated requirements. Certainly your 3s2200 mah batteries should fit in the blizzard as the ones I saw had 3s2200 packs from Hobby City fitted in them. And finally it would be well within your budget.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 AM
xlr8rr

I totally agree with suncoaster. The Blizzard will rocket you around at a million miles an hour and keep you on your toes for 15 min. The Easyglider Pro will provide a relaxing flight with longer durations easilly over 1 hour. Both are excellent gliders for their intended purpose and are very good introductions. And if you cant make up your mind which one to get then get both.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:27 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I have an Easy Glider Electric ( not the pro) with a brushless motor. Great little thermal duration sailplane, but certainly not a warmliner or a hot liner.

So we have $350 for airframe, motor and ESC

Blizzard is a good choice as a warm liner if you like foam.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUTV3&P=ML

Great Planes Siren is another low cost warmliner in wood and glass
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHPD0&P=7

GEM - TD/warmliner
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=5428

Nike 2
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1303

Whistler 48" pocket rocket
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=5113

Any will thermal but that is secondary to their design.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:29 PM
scrooks

I would try the "Scorpion" from Esprit Models. They are in Florida, "your home state" and these just came in on a shipment this past week. Perfect for what your looking for IMO
Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
You said you've been flying helis but you didn't say you' e been flying fixed wing Models. If that's the case I'd suggest foam for your first attempt.
If you want to laze around, catch thermals, and do very mild aerobatics then go with the easy glider. If you want to go towards hotliners then get the blizzard. Um, yes, you can catch thermals with the Blizzard, but they'd have to be boomers.

Of course if you have the bread you could get both and be happy either way.
RobII
Old 07-10-2009, 04:46 PM
winghobby
Winghobby.com

The Multiplex Easyglider Pro (i think they've done away with the older versions), and Blizzard are nice models to fly, but if you're looking for a less foamy one, you can go for the great planes siren, which is a hotliner, and should fall within your 350 budget.

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1065.html
Old 08-02-2012, 01:23 AM
soemer

Hi all,
I fly electric sport planes, and I inherited a powered sailplane model. It had a brushed motor and very old electronics, so I decided to upgrade it to more modern equipment. I have no idea what the model is, so I can't find any information on it.

I took a picture of it so that maybe someone could help me identify the model. One of the things I need to know is the suggested CG. Everything I installed is MUCH lighter than what came in the aircraft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailplane-1-small.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	161712