Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! - Page 180 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Old 07-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome Griff! Got any extra props coming too?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 AM
rleeharris

Well folks, let me introduce myself... go-by Bob, retired USAF (21yrs and just retired 1 Jan 12), 4 kids and a beautiful wife, disabled (must walk with a cane/walker due to severe nerve/spine problems--6 surgeries and counting, ugh!) and looking for a new hobby. I also suffer from insomnia as you might be able to tell (0317 CST). I also love woodworking, motorcycles, and golf--all of which, I'm having trouble doing physically. Hence, my new-found interest in RC piloting.

I've always wanted to get into RC flying and decided to finally make the leap. After some advice from the guys at HobbyTown USA here in San Antonio, I just purchased a HobbyZone Super Cub as my first plane--includes everything to fly except skill! It's still in the box as I'm too scared to open it!!! Well, sort of. Just nervous.

Can't wait to take my time and learn from you all. I soak new info in like a sponge and I'm naturally curious... was an investigator for 11 years). Your forum appears to be chock full of info and the dialogue seems respectful... that's wonderful to see. I am a member of Tacoma World forum as well and although great, it can be a bit on the confrontational side.

OK, enough about me... I'll let you know after I take the Cub up for it's first flight and pop my RC cherry, provided I don't fly into a tree, car, the ground, or passer-by!

Thanks, and glad to be here!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:26 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Bob,

Welcome to WF and thank you for your great service to our country!

A plethera of info here from alot of very experienced modelers and pilots. Sometimes I think its a crash course in Electrical Engineering but I tend to make things more complicated than they need to be. Fun learning though.

Good choice on the HZ Super Cub. It was my first plane and I still have it, albeit , modified to the hilt. Did you get the 2.4 version? Anyhoo, it goes together easily. I think they even include a video. Many threads and youtubes on the Super Cub, an iconic trainer.

Knowing what I know now my checklist for this addiction would include:

Phase 1
1). Get AMA card- mandatory
2). Join a local RC Flying club- There's clubs in SA.
3). Get a simulator- Check ebay or sites like this for used ones

Phase 2
1). You're already thinking about second plane
2). Get good Radio that you can grow with- Spektrum,JR, Futaba, etc.
3). Get best battery charger you can afford EG. I-charger

Just have fun !

-Hawk
Old 07-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome Bob! Be sure to read all of Ed's sticky threads in the beginners forum to help you along.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 PM
rleeharris

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Bob,

Welcome to WF and thank you for your great service to our country!

A plethera of info here from alot of very experienced modelers and pilots. Sometimes I think its a crash course in Electrical Engineering but I tend to make things more complicated than they need to be. Fun learning though.

Good choice on the HZ Super Cub. It was my first plane and I still have it, albeit , modified to the hilt. Did you get the 2.4 version? Anyhoo, it goes together easily. I think they even include a video. Many threads and youtubes on the Super Cub, an iconic trainer.

Knowing what I know now my checklist for this addiction would include:

Phase 1
1). Get AMA card- mandatory
2). Join a local RC Flying club- There's clubs in SA.
3). Get a simulator- Check ebay or sites like this for used ones

Phase 2
1). You're already thinking about second plane
2). Get good Radio that you can grow with- Spektrum,JR, Futaba, etc.
3). Get best battery charger you can afford EG. I-charger

Just have fun !

-Hawk
Well, Hawk, it seems like I've made my first rookie mistake already: Not picking a super-cool name like "Hawk!" "Bob" just doesn't inspire piloting confidence or ability. J/K! Anyway, thanks for the timely tips and advice. I will certainly look into all of these things. The HZ plane I purchased is the 2.4, with a Spektrum 4-channel radio; yes, it does include a video. I'm also going to apply for my AMA card and will be going out to my first club meeting this coming Saturday. I had a personal invite so that was nice.

I purchased this plane last Wednesday and it is still sitting unopened on my workshop table. I have never felt so nervous about starting a new hobby until now--even riding motorcycles (learned when I was 7!) was easier. I guess it's because the only other experience I had with an EC plane (if you can call it that) was with my son's Air Hogs plane he got for Christmas a couple years back... and I dove that thing into the ground each and every time I launched it. He looked at me as only a disappointed kid child can. Ugh. I know we are talking apples and oranges here, but I have a fear I will shortly become the worst RC pilot in history. And my youngest son will look at me as if I am hopeless in this endeavor.

Hawk, thanks again for the advice, and I'd love to hear about the mods you did to your Super Cub sometime. ~ Bob
Old 07-16-2012, 02:03 PM
rleeharris

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Welcome Bob! Be sure to read all of Ed's sticky threads in the beginners forum to help you along.
Already started reading them a couple nights ago... great info. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:14 PM
domiluk
lowflyer

Bob. I'M new at electric myself I do fly glow engines planes but like you i don't get around vary good .Back and leg trouble enough about me take some advice you have great RC club down in S. A. get intuch with them they have trainers that will be glad to help . And that will be alot cheaper then replaceing planes.Good Luck.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:19 PM
mythic beast
Neub

Default welcome fellow neub's

First off, yes Bob, spare prop in the mix too. Anxiously awaiting the arrival, sometime today, of the big brown truck!

I've completed reading the "Everything you ever..."thread, twice. A big thanks to AEAJR.

I chose the Easy Star II because I want to, eventually, turn it into a DIY drone and it will easily accommodate the extra electronics. Anybody here at WF ever done a drone? (Probably a stupid question)

I haven't even made a single flight and I'm already thinking about the next plane. Probably another foamie and slow for the 11 and 9 year old grand kids to learn with. I'm drilling all the forums for ideas, an overwhelming number of choices, should be fun!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:52 PM
SARG5
SARG5

Hello RLEEHARRIS
SARG5 here. Retired Army 28 years. Retired KANSAS HIGHWAY PATROL 27 years.
I flew for the KHP for 10 years.
BUT, THE OLD BUT.
RC is a new beast. Lots of fun.
I would suggest everything that these fine folks are telling you. Then.
For me . I had a VERY HIGH TIME PILOT FOR THE KANSAS NATIONAL GUARD. Choppers and Fixed wing. Even flew the Gov. aircraft . Take me by the hand to lead me in the right direction. This is what he told me. I have never looked back.
MULTIPLEX EasyStar. Or the Bixler. Which is a knock off of the EasyStar.
Now the EasyStar ll is the way to go. Then up grade it .
Take a look at www.headsuprc.com They are out of Fl. Jeff. the owner is great to help you along.
I live out here in North Central Kansas. Have my own flying field out in my pasture.
YES. AMA you just need to join for information.
Then stay with these folks. They all are great. They will lead you through.
What happned to the old back. TO MANY PUCHES out ??
AGAIN
THANK YOU FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY
SEEING AND FLYING THE COUNTRY WE DEFEND
Old 07-17-2012, 07:14 PM
SARG5
SARG5

Ok. gang. Here goes another project.
I have a kit built Sig KAVALIER w/56 in wing. that was built up in about 1980's ?
I now want to convert it with mod. over to Elect.
Anyone out there have knowledge of this mod??
Thank you
SARG5
Old 07-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

If you go to Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) I'm sure you will get lots of help. I think this thread is just for new members to say Hi and to be welcomed.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Mr.GFC

Default What a relief

What a relief it is to find a website for RC Electric that isn't full of ads from hobbyking. As this is my first post on this site, I'd like to thank it's developer for NOT turning it into another RCGroups type site. (I'm not knocking their site, mind you) It's just nice to find a site that's devoted to it's users and not selling or promoting with banners.

So let me introduce myself. I'm Mr. GFC. I'm a disabled American, living abroad in Lima, Peru.
I've just recently gotten back into the sport/hobby this past year, after a 20 year absence. And OMG what a difference there is in what's available. I can't believe the how much the radio systems have advanced, although it was expected... just not as much.

For radio's, I've gone with the Spektrum DX8.
Planes... at the moment I'm flying slope fighters and electric.

I've decided at the moment, not to get back into glows, because of the mess they create, and the fact that you really need to have your own vehicle to cart them around. I go to the site here in Lima by taxi for less than $8.00 round trip.

I've introduced my 9 year old son to the sport, even purchased a DX8 for him. He's doing pretty good on his trainer via buddy-boxing. He actually flies it most of the time.

Since I'm basically new to the sport/hobby again, I'll be asking a lot of newbie questions, because the electric aspect of the sport is totally new for me and I love building from scratch.

Thanks again for the great site.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Howdy Mr. GFC,

Yes we work hard to keep Wattflyer the most unique electric flight forum on the interwebs. Its success depends on members just like you, who want to learn, share, and enjoy Electric RC flying around the globe.

The ads here are worth looking at as I use them to keep abreast of any new offerings.

Welcome aboard,

NB
Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Buenas tardes GFC !

Like you , I returned to the hobby after a long absence of raising kids, coaching basketball, etc. Oh My, had things changed, especially with the advent of Electric flight and computerized radios. Lipo ? Huh? What's a Lipo?

One thing you'll find here is a group of people always willing to help. There's a plethera of collective knowledge and you'll soon discover who these folks are. Shared experiences and helping other succeed is a great thing as this promotes this great hobby.

I would start by looking at AERJR's blog on electric flight. It's the new electric flyer and modeler's manifesto. Almost a crash course in Electrical Engineering but even Mechanical guys like me can grasp it.

Best of luck on your re-indoctrination to the RC world and the ensuing addiction that follows.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome GFC!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Welcome!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:33 PM
jersy/hank
jersy/hank

welcome stick with electric you will love it!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Tsavah
Watt Waster

Default Old Wing Nuts and RC Hobbies

Originally Posted by rleeharris View Post
... go-by Bob, retired USAF (21yrs and just retired 1 Jan 12), ... I also suffer from insomnia ... I've always wanted to get into RC flying and decided to finally make the leap. ... Thanks, and glad to be here!
Hey Bob. Retired from USAF back in 1974. Hope your insomnia isn't caused by some of the medications, like mine, along with a few other problems. Got to keep an eye on those risky medications since the doctors often have no idea what problems they will cause and they don't seem to think they need to. Got back into RC myself more than a few years ago after first trying my skills back in 1977 for about a year. First plane was a Falcon 56, but was having trouble getting help as promised from the RC club. Crashed it not long after take off and decided I really didn't have the extra time and money. Back then few, if any, we doing electric motors. Things have changed and I am devoted to electric only these days.

That new model in the box will look nice, but ... it is rare for a new pilot to be able to fly without a few crashes for a month or so (10 hours). The brain has to get use to the idea an object will do exactly what your thumbs demand and your eyes can see. Best do the simple, one sheet, or scratch build trainer foamies you can build on the cheap. Not counting electronics, we are talking $10 worth of foam and glue. If you crash one of those, it can often be repaired, but if not, $10 is much easier on the wallet and budget. Lots of choices for trainers and when you get the feel of EPP foam, or even cheaper options, your building and flying skills will progress faster when you are less concerned with repairs or replacement. Many of the simple one foam sheet designs can be put together in 5 hours or less, with glue curing time being the longest delay. Many do the low temp hot glues to shorten the issue by leaps and bounds, but learning how to hot glue foam is a new skill of it's own. I prefer to take my time and use the foaming glues like Gorilla brand.

Even the foaming glues are a skill to learn how little is needed, or you have a very fat glue joint. But, why not dive in for a $10 or more investment and build a simple, cheap first plane? Lots of threads to pick from and you will get the hang of it quicker when you are less focused on cost of a crash. Some options to look into are the NutBall, Blu Baby, PBF (pizza box flyer), capricorn, or also called the flying W. Most folks like the top wing flyers with plenty of dihedral so the model will sort itself out almost automatically if there is enough altitude and you leave it alone for about a minute. The best advice I can give you about starting to pilot is to remember you need a stable glider with a small motor, cheap parts easy to replace, and a buddy to take over if needed. A month or two later you can go with confidence and get into less stable RC flyers. Look for simple "profile" trainer builds with a high main wing. All the electronics will be attached on the surface of the fuselage, so getting to stuff for a fix or change is no big deal.

I am forgetting the name of the many other high wing trainer designs, so you might want to search on the word "training", or a variation. After a bit you will notice there isn't much difference between the designs. You will be going back to the hobby shop for some of the less expensive electronics, or you will soon be like the rest of us and ordering as much as possible from Hobby King, or one of the other newer stores of theirs in the USA. Then you will have to wait the extra weeks wondering if your order has shipped or not from China. It is sad to realize just about everything we want is coming from China, but that is how it is and worse, the hobby shops get there stuff from China also, but charge double the price, or worse. The deal with China is expensive postage, long shipping delays, and checking cost to see if it really is a better deal for the same thing. Sometimes it is better to buy from one of the USA based Internet hobby suppliers. The stuff is still made in China, but they have it worked out so they only offer the better stuff at a really good price. Well, enough how to get started advice for now. Best of luck.

aka Buzz, or Buzzard (Depends on if I am flying too close, or digging out a crash to recycle from the field trash can)

Last edited by Tsavah; 07-23-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Spelling ...
Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Mr.GFC

Tsavah, Oh I know what you mean. Back when I flew before, my first real plane was an F4U-1A Corsair. Spent two years in the building with retracts and even pain-ball firing/dropping. First couple of times I flew it alone, I was scared shtless. But, I started settling down 5-6 flights into it. Lost it though on a landing when a gust caught the wingtip and flipped it. That's when I stopped.

This time around, thus fare, it's all electric, as I have to go by taxi to where we fly. Doing mostly slope fighters at the moment, but have been playing around with a few of the profile planes like the F-22 and the F-14 (with a sweeping wing) built from the foam-board I can get here locally by the engineering college.

The great thing about where I fly, we have about 900ft of open cliff line with Dynamic wind. There's a fairly steep cliff face that does allow us to fetch the planes when they do go down, but for the most part, it's been a blast. I have managed to catch the light post twice with the F-22 and planted it a 60' palm tree due to the back-rotor.

To say the least, it's been a learning experience, but with the planes all being scratch-built foamies, it hasn't been all that expensive. But now that I'm really starting to settle in, I'm looking at building a 2m Chandelle, Gulf Coaster, and a few others. I can't think of another city that I've been to that has the type of flying that we have here in Lima. Having moved here specifically because of the Paragliding... because of that sport (as well as my last job up there) , I've done a lot of traveling and have seen a lot of places to fly. So fare, Lima is the best. Both are available right here in the city, so I'm able to go every weekend with my son by taxi, for less than $7 round trip.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:30 AM
soemer

Hi,

I'm new here. I am reasonably new to radio control and electric flight. I used to be active in control line flying with nitro engines, but that was a long time ago. My brother-in-law got me started with electric radio planes, and I am having a lot of fun, although I'm just learning and havew so many questions that may seem simple to others.

I am guessing that you arte supposed to start a new thread with every question if you can't find one that deals with that topic? Is that about correct?

I inherited an old electric powered sailplane that I have no idea what it is or who made it. Is there a thread somewhere that I could post a picture in hopes that someone might be able to identify it?

Thanks

John
Old 07-30-2012, 05:18 AM
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

John, go to the "hi- performance and sailplane" section of the forum, and post your photo there. I'm sure we can help identify your vintage model.

Brad
Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome John!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 PM
jersy/hank
jersy/hank

welcome aboard have fun
Old 07-30-2012, 04:40 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

John,

As the addiction begins to take hold and it will, I'd recommend reading AERJR's sticky about electric flight. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31368

I found it very informative.

Once you get tired of the neck strain from sailplanes, you may feel the need for speed. Maybe not.

Have a blast !

-Hawk
Old 07-30-2012, 10:12 PM
soemer

Thanks for the welcome folks. I'm pretty new to this hobby, but I am up and flying several sprot electric planes. I am hoping someone can help me identify a vintage sailplane that I inherited and am getting ready to fly. I would like to post a picture of the plane and hope that someone might be able to identify it for me.

I also need to know the suggested CG as I am upgrading the entire electrics of this airplane. I realize somewhere between 25 and 30% of the cord, back from the leading edge is a good rule of thumb.

Quick Reply: Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10700 seconds with 13 queries