2 words: Parkzone VAPOR! - Page 15 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

2 words: Parkzone VAPOR!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 PM
swimmer

Default J3 Replacement motor....

Flew my Vapor with the J3 replacement motor at our Thursday indoor flight gathering. All I can say is if I'd known the J3 would make as much difference as it does I would have replaced the Vapor motor a long time ago. Very fast level flight, inside/outside loops one after the other and unlimited vertical gaining speed as it ascends. Wow..!!!!.... If you have to replace your motor go with the J3. It makes the Vapor a whole new airplane.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:23 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

After nearly a year of relatively uneventful flying, I suddenly can't stop breaking the tail off my Vapor. I've bought three already this summer!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:10 AM
swimmer

Calm enough to fly my Vapor with the J3 replacement motor outside tonight. This motor toys with the airframe. With the gentle southerly breeze the Vapor flew just like a kite. With minimum throttle and a little down elevator added from time to time the Vapor sat basically in one spot lazily floating from side to side. What a good time.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:22 PM
electricrc68

swimmer, does the vapor go the same speed as a champ with a j3 motor?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:01 PM
swimmer

Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
swimmer, does the vapor go the same speed as a champ with a j3 motor?
Can't answer that as I don't have a champ.

What it does do is at least 1/3 increase in level flight speed. After flying my Vapor on and off for the past 3 years the difference with the J3 motor is like day and night.

Allan
Old 07-04-2011, 04:57 AM
electricrc68

okay thanks. i was just wondering since im going to be getting an ember 2 for the backyard and wanted the j-3 motor in it when i got better
Old 08-06-2011, 04:04 AM
barnburner13

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Ruh roh, that sounds like a brick problem with the speed controller. I'd call Horizon and see what they suggest there. Alternately you could plug in a new motor and see if that changes anything.

Hold everything! Is the engine responding to throttle but running in short bursts of a second or so? I had that happening and it was a battery getting old. Changing to a newer battery fixed the whole thing.

If you're using the stock charger, it charges your battery in fifteen minutes. A real charger wouldn't charge the stock battery in less than an hour, so they are calibrated on the "nearly incinerate" setting from the factory. This won't actually set your batteries on fire but it will very significantly shorten their lives.

If you take the case apart, you will see a potentiometer, whose setting dial is glued in place, with a red line on it. If you call its present position 12 o'clock, turn it counterclockwise to the 9 o'clock position and you'll be very close to where it ought to be. You will break the glue in the process but there's plenty of friction to hold the new setting. It will save your batteries! It will also take an hour to charge them now.

If you don't get good results from that THEN I'd call Horizon. I'll bet you don't have to!

Thanks for this advice, it really seems to make my batteries last longer. Before it seemed batteries were going bad pretty quickly

Noah
Old 08-13-2011, 09:59 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Something's gone wrong with my vapor. Put it into a dive and it will not pull out. It just wants to tuck under and dive straight into the dirt. Has it somehow gotten tail heavy?
Old 08-13-2011, 11:21 AM
zzlentz

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Something's gone wrong with my vapor. Put it into a dive and it will not pull out. It just wants to tuck under and dive straight into the dirt. Has it somehow gotten tail heavy?
Check the rudder.It sometimes spins around and sticks.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:14 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Nope; it ain't that.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 PM
zzlentz

Does it dive tail or head first?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

If it's a high speed dive you're seeing one of the nasty habits of the Vapor that makes it so valuable in learning to fly. The airframe is flexible. In a dive it tucks under and steepens the dive. She'll arch her back like a hostile polecat. I believe if you move the wing forward you'll see better response. If that isn't enough, move the push rod to a different hole on the control horn to give you better elevator response.

Yes the Vapor is not exactly a stiff airframe. If you take her up to about 100', pull back the throttle and jam the stick into the upper right hand corner you'll see her go into the coolest inverted flat spin you ever saw. That airframe will be all stressed out and doing its best pretzel imitation. With plenty of altitude you have to neutralize the control, the airframe will kind of go "sproing!" back straight, then give up elevator to pull out, flipping the Vapor right side up, apply throttle and say "Whew! That was fun!"

The Vapor is so easy to fly that many people ridicule Vapor owners, but its unique flying characteristics make it a very entertaining plane to own and fly. I'll put up with the ridicule I sometimes get with a smile. Apparently I know something they don't. The Vapor is just plain fun!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:59 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I dunno. My Vapor has transformed from the sweetest, gentlest flier in my fleet into an unholy beast that I can barely fly.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Two questions: what's changed? Where's the CG now? and can you pose some photos? Sorry my counter is broken.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Dimeflyer

Check that your elevator is not sticking in fast monuvers or that your bat is not moving when you use it to lose elevation !
I have a night vaper that does what you describe and it is my loos bat holder
that changes the cg on me if I get to hard on the sticks !!
George