Hobby king esc's any good? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Hobby king esc's any good?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:34 AM
dogwood59
dogwood59

Default Hobby king esc's any good?

Need a 40 amp for pz corsair upgrade!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:10 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I have 3 different ESC's from them and never had a problem so far, when you order get the programming card to it makes it so easy to program the ESC.

John
Old 08-09-2010, 03:27 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

use the "plush" turnigy's......i have 40,60,and 80amps in use with no problems. don't buy the cheapest esc's or you'll be sorry ya wasted the $$.

TURNIGY Plush 40amp Speed Controller
$23.10
79g

also buy them when in stock,backorders are a long wait.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:37 AM
dogwood59
dogwood59

Yeah i was looking at those but theyre out of stock! thought id try the hobby king one but wanted to get some feedback first!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:55 AM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

IMHO, I would not use the HobbyKing SS series. Haven't heard much good about them.

The Tunigy Plush are rebranded Hobbywing ESC's. They are my favorite 'budget' ESC. The programming card is a must... saves lengthy stick programming.

Exceed RC Volcano are also rebranded Hobbywing ESC's. You can purchase them in the USA from Hobbypartz for nearly the same price as HK:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-40...oller-esc.html
Old 08-09-2010, 04:00 AM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

dogwood59,

HobbyPartz.com warehouse is in California... practically right on your doorstep!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
IMHO, I would not use the HobbyKing SS series. Haven't heard much good about them.

The Tunigy Plush are rebranded Hobbywing ESC's. They are my favorite 'budget' ESC. The programming card is a must... saves lengthy stick programming.

Exceed RC Volcano are also rebranded Hobbywing ESC's. You can purchase them in the USA from Hobbypartz for nearly the same price as HK:

Great Advise here from Philipa i use the turnigy ESC too and love them, never ever any proplems with them, and i push them hard too Take care, Chellie
Old 08-09-2010, 06:56 AM
motoguy

Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post

Wow! Thanks for that info, and the link! After looking there, you are right...it seems to be nearly HK / HC pricing, but should only have a few days ship delay, and a tracking number to boot! Now I need to "convert" my HK "wish list" to HobbyPartz compatibles.

Again, thanks for the info. Are there any brands / models of hobbyparts servos, motors, or batteries to avoid? Can I safely just pick the item that "should" work ok, and expect it to do so? Lastly, is the USB ESC programming "box" from hobbypartz any better / worse than the "card" from HK / HC?
Old 08-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Insomniac

I use the Turnigy Sentry 40A and it's great. Moniters all your cells during flight, works with the programming card, doesn't get hot (though I am only using it at about 30A peak). Good switching mode BEC as well. Reccomended!

I've also used their cheaper towerpro ESCs a couple of times... I don't think they work with the programming card, and I'm not convinced that their quality is up to the Turnigy's, based on reviews. However in use they've proven just fine (even when used right at their rated current).

The last one I've used was a little Mystery brand 12A controller... I only flew with it once as I replaced it with a bigger ESC so I could use a bigger prop, as the plane lacked power. The ESC functioned fine however. It was more confusing (for me) to program than the towerpro ones (which have accurate programming instructions for the most part... only a couple of minor errors in the instructions and it's pretty easy to figure out what they're supposed to say).

The Turnigys are of course the easiest with the cheap little programming card they sell. If you buy a Turnigy, buy the card, it's absolutely worth the $6 or so they charge for it.

EDIT: This looks almost identical to the turnigy programming card, I'm guessing it's the same thing but rebranded: http://www.hobbypartz.com/exbrescprdef.html
Old 08-09-2010, 11:39 AM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by motoguy View Post
Again, thanks for the info. Are there any brands / models of hobbyparts servos, motors, or batteries to avoid? Can I safely just pick the item that "should" work ok, and expect it to do so? Lastly, is the USB ESC programming "box" from hobbypartz any better / worse than the "card" from HK / HC?
The T-Pro SG series of servo's are identical to the HXT's sold by HK (ie SG90 = HXT900). Quality is the same. They are a great budget servo.

Blue Series lipos are like most of the generic brands you find at HK. I have used a few and they work just fine.

You want this programming card for the HobbyWing ESC's:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/exbrescprdef.html

The other Hobbywing programming cards shown are for cars or the Platinum line of ESC's and cannot be used for the ExceedRC Volcano ESC's.

As for motors, I haven't used any yet so I cannot comment. I primarily use the Infinite Series from OKHobby.com

Last edited by philipa_240sx; 08-09-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:32 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I'm having good luck with a Mystery brand 40A ESC from HobbyKing. Also sold as Turnigy blue label for half the price.

40A, switch mode bec. It's temp rases about 20-30 degrees when flying at ~30A for six minutes with 4 parzone servos.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:32 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Those Mystery/HK Blue label ESC's are actually sold under a few other well known makes.

I use the Infinite version of the same ESC from OKHobby.

http://okhobby.com/category.php?id_category=83

They sell program cards as well.

http://okhobby.com/category.php?id_category=93

Only thing they lack is programmable LVC. It's set to 3V/cell for lipo and isn't adjustable... unlike the Hobbywing Pentium/Turnigy Plush ESC's which have 2.6V/2.85V/3.1V settings.

Personally I like higher LVC's of 3.1-3.2V.

Last edited by philipa_240sx; 08-09-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Blue Note

I have been using the Turnigy Plush 10amp ESCs for a while now. They work well and allow the motors to turn up well, but they seem to give out and start having problems such as intermittent connections and eventual failure. The last 2 I have used only lasted about 2 months each, and that's not with a lot of use. The low voltage cutoff also fails to work if your system is pulling low amps. I will move onto something else when I have run out of the ones I have on hand.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

I've got a pair of SS 70 amp controllers in my AC-47 Spooky.

They are more than needed (only 50 amp was needed for the motors) and with the cheap stuff its better that way. Havent had a problem after original parameter programming. They are working fine, about a year now.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03781.jpg
Views:	10901
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	135053  
Old 09-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I've used a few of these on some of my planes. Great price and free shipping.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11982

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6120

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4502
Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

i thought i ad this post to this thread as its hobby king related and about a turnigy esc. i installed 2 of the pictured esc's .1 went in the sig kobra using a 35-30-1100kv with 4cell4400mah zippies.

it the rv-4-40 kit from great planes that worries me ....why ya say?

i was search hobbykings site and started reading the reviews on this esc....i bought them when they first came out and all the reviews were awful.....crrrrraaaappppp![sorry about that]....the rv has a 50-55 -400kv with 6cell 4000mahzippy

so after reading of all the toasted esc reports i will now be cutting the red wire and adding my own rx battery. i know it the right thing for the rv-4 as it's using 6 standard servos. but should i also do the same for the kobra? i guess a little more weight want kill it ,but the whole point of using this esc was the built in 4amp bec............i'm actually glad i read all those reviews and that they seemed very real since 75% of them were negative.

how would you feel if you buy either cheap or expensive only to find out later its garbage? kinda like buying a toyota...lol...

check ou
Turnigy Brushless ESC 85A w/ 5A SBEC
$36.59
100+
90g
View product details
t the reviews on this esc and see what i installed in my birds.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:39 AM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Personally, I would not rely on the built in BEC on a 6 servo setup. Either use a separate RX battery like you suggest, or a lighter option is to add an external UBEC:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ubhvoulbe.html

I even use UBEC's with my 4ch foamies (48" WS).... just to be safe.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:43 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Ya ubec is the safe way to go. Jeff at HURC has them cheaper and will handle that many servos no problem.
A lot cheaper and fast shipping.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-3-Amp-/Detail
Old 09-16-2010, 02:52 AM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Yup, Jeff is great guy to deal with too.

Whatever UBEC you buy, be sure it will handle the input voltage.

Mine is also connected directly to the flight battery using a Y cable so there is no extra RX battery to haul around. Just a few extra grams for the UBEC and wiring.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Radbuster
Park Flyer

Default Programming question HK ESC

In a weak moment, I bought an ARF from Hobby King and am having trouble with the ESC. It's a HK brand, 15A or 20A (its buried in the fuse; I can see the brand). I can't set the throttle range, and get very low power. No instructions, of course, and the feedback points to the Super Simple ESC. Problem: my beep sequence is nothing like the SS. I get: beep, pause, 4 beeps, pause, low tone. I have a 2S lipo and I get that with the throttle on full or on idle! I put a 3S on it and got the same beep sequence.

I plan to dig it out and put in a quality one, but I wanted to see if I could save this one. Help is appreciated.

Last edited by Radbuster; 09-29-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:07 AM
Gary L. Sr.

Default Hobby King...

Originally Posted by dogwood59 View Post
Need a 40 amp for pz corsair upgrade!
Extreme Warning! My friend (Who is a Scale Master) and I ordered two (2) 500 helis from them and they both arrived with bent frames! Three months later now and they still refuse to do anything!
Please spread the word! They know we cannot reach them in Hong Kong
or where ever they are!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:32 AM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

I have had very good luck with the Turnigy Plush series up to 80amp. Anything over 4 servos I use a HV-UBEC.

Have an SS-100 that I have not tried yet but understand they get real hot when you program them.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:22 AM
Live2Fly

well yeah! they are pretty good quality. I got my easy star from hobby people, which is ran by hobby king.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:00 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

They are usually fine if you dont over stress them, or expect them to run continuously at the rated spec.

Originally Posted by Live2Fly View Post
I got my easy star from hobby people, which is ran by hobby king.
Um, not exactly. If you mean that Hobby People, is owned and operated by Hobby King, that is not correct. Hobby People is Global Hobbies with Mike Greenshields at the helm.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:45 PM
richgrow
richgrow

Default HobbyKing 40A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller

I've bought over 20 of This ESC and It's a Great ESC in All My Personal Planes I've Used it in. Here's the one I like Best for Up to the Thrust 40 Size PA Motors from Precision Aerobatics, E-flght 15 Motor and 3 Rim Fire 15 in 35-36-1200Kv. We've had No Problems from this Super ESC, Hobby King 40Amp "Blue Series" Brushless Speed Controller. One Things I Like it is it can Handle Surges 60 Amps for 10 Seconds !!! I Have Several Other Turnigy ESC's but Not Enough experience in Air Yet since I'm Just Starting to Build Bigger Electric Planes NOW. I've Built Tons of Real Gas 25% to 30% Size Planes so I'm Just Venturing into Bigger Electric Planes.
I'm Thinking with Bigger Standard Size Servos We Need Use Seperate UBEC OR SBEC like 10 Amp Castle??? Anyone have any advice or UBEC Or SBEC they Recommend???
richgrow
US ARMY Aviation Retired

Quick Reply: Hobby king esc's any good?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10968 seconds with 16 queries