Bench power supply - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Bench power supply

Old 11-25-2008, 06:46 PM
htomnlinda

Default Bench power supply

I need a bench power supply for charging my Li Po's and misc 12 volt items.
What amperage should I get

Thanks Tom
Old 11-25-2008, 07:12 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

It depends what you want to charge. I'd go for at least 15A but I've no idea what you might need.

Steve
Old 11-25-2008, 07:30 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by htomnlinda View Post
I need a bench power supply for charging my Li Po's and misc 12 volt items.
What amperage should I get

Thanks Tom
Do you have your heart set on buying one?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:12 PM
crash_out
Misanthropic Member

You can always modify an old computer power supply. Since the Ramboy/Cosel power supply ...er...supply seems to be exhausted, it's one of the cheapest options. A modified PC power supply can easily supply 8 amps.
www.hobbycity.com has a few under the charger section, but none over 5 or 6 amps I think.
www.allelectronics.com has a few under the power supply section that can handle 5-24 amps.

Amperage rating depends on your intended use. I've never needed more than 5 amps, but I'm getting into some heavier duty projects that may require a bit more. The amount of current is going to be limited by your charger. Some chargers can only supply 100 watts of power, some can go upwards of 400. Using our old formula of watts=voltage * amperage, a 12vdc power supply rated at 5 amps can handle about 60 watts.

A buddy of mine doesn't use a bench power supply-he has a deep cycle marine battery that stays on trickle charge pretty much all the time, and runs his chargers off it.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Do you have a flat screen monitor with a power supply? They are usually 3 amps, so unless you are charging 3000+ mAh LiPo you should be able to use it on your charger if it's 12 volts DC.

P.S. My mistake: power supply, not voltage converter.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:44 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Build Review Radio Shack

I got a 12V supply at Radio Shack many years ago. It finally went bad (transformer went poof) but I got one my Dad had (it is a nicer model) and it's still going. They are actually 13.8V (mine - 3A) which is good for charging a 12V battery. I hook mine up to my flite box and charge everything with my Triton charger. I even charge AA batteries for around the house.

The new supplies at Radio Shack probably don't look anything like the old one I have. RS has 3A, 15A, & 25A supplies depending on how much you want to spend. Some of them even have a cigarette lighter socket to plug stuff into; so if you have some things setup for use in your car you can plug them right in.

You can convert many things into what you need:
---12V Battery Chargers
---Computer Supplies
---Power Cubes - those things you plug into the wall that power things
Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Arkitexas
Lone Star Flyer

Here is a source for a 5 amp, 12 volt switching power supply. I own a similar unit but not this particular one. Mine works great with my Triton charger and NiMh batteries at 4 amps. There is no power cord so I added one with a rocker switch. The thing is about the size of a Hardy Boys book.

http://shop4.frys.com/product/2612722#detailed

Rick
Old 11-25-2008, 11:42 PM
htomnlinda

Thanks guys, I would love to go with the marine battery set up but my work shop is fairly small.
My LI-Pol charger is the Apache smart charge 2500 which really works great. I keep all my charging needs below 2500mA. If I need more power I double up the battery's.
One of my planes is a 60" Clancy Lazy Bee, it has two 2250 3S 20c Li-Pols hooked in series.
Thanks Again Tom
Old 11-27-2008, 01:51 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Build Review Largest Battery

My largest LiPo is 3S 2100 mAH. This battery works in my 400 size heli and my mini Ultra Stick. Next is the 3S 800 mAH that originally was for the Blade CP Pro but also gets used in two of my other planes. Then there's the 2S 700 mAH batteries for the small stuff like the Swift II.

So all said my 3A power supply takes care of all this. I also use a 7 AH 12 V Gel Cell in the Great Planes Electrifly Compact E-Box Electric Flight Field Box. This will charge 2100 mAH batteries about 4 times before it needs recharging. The Triton charger fits right on top of the box. I've considered some NiMH or LiPo batteries (would double the 7 AH) instead of the Gel Cell but I'll have to wait until I got some money for those expensive batteries.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJBU0&P=SM