AS3X = a scam? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

AS3X = a scam?

Old 08-16-2018, 05:55 AM
Virgil Kee

Default AS3X = a scam?

I've had really bad experience with so-called stabilization function on several models. Some do not work even when new, while others LOSE this capability after some good flight history!

Any help? Wrong forum?

Virg.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:46 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

AS3X has been available on many Horizon planes receivers for years now so I'd have expected that if it has the extent of problem you imply then we would have heard more about it by now. It's basically just Horizon Hobby's name for a basic 3 axis gyro stabilisation system, similar systems are available across a wide range of RC products made by many brands and they generally work fine.

It is important on these systems to keep the model perfectly stationary during initialisation.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:23 PM
formontoya

As well...the stabilizer has to be more than attached with just Velcro...that fuzzy stuff is not stable enough for a stabilizer. I see a lot of people attach with this and while it works great for a standard Rx and other bits...no way on a stabilizer.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:21 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I've not had any issues with any of mine but am not a real big fan of it. It does what it does and works well.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by formontoya View Post
As well...the stabilizer has to be more than attached with just Velcro...that fuzzy stuff is not stable enough for a stabilizer. I see a lot of people attach with this and while it works great for a standard Rx and other bits...no way on a stabilizer.
And that explains why the boards are installed in AS3X aircraft with what appears to be (and I have used to reattach them) DAP adhesive caulk.

I'm a confirmed balsa snob. I hate foam and electronic "crutches" but because of all the drone/FAA garbage a while back I bought my first AS3X bird. The HH Pitts S1. I've flown several Pitts of different sizes and they're always a handful. This one flies like a 1/4 scale even in advanced mode as it gives just enough stabilization to help smooth things out in the wind without interfering with pilot input. I was so impressed I bought six more UMX planes. I had one flakey elevator linkage problem with the HABU EDF but that's it. I fixed it easily but HH still sent me a new servo!

I learned with the HH micro helis that the linear servos used in the helis/planes need maintenance or they go wonky in a hurry. Do yourself a favor and get some Deoxit. I spray it on a Q-tip and clean the wiper and strip at the first sign of trouble and sometimes just for maintenance. I've taken used micro helis that couldn't fly because of servo jitter and made them smooth as butter after a Deoxit cleaning. I'll bet a dollar "dirty" servos or loose AS3X board are your problem.

I've been flying 40+ years so I don't need or use the trainer and intermediate modes. I do appreciate how AS3X can make such a tiny plane so smooth and flyable in wind that would ground a plane without it.

Joe
Old 08-16-2018, 06:34 PM
formontoya

I personally use the FrSky S8R Rx on 2 planes that I FPV (55" Cessna 182 for land and a 52" ICON A5 for water)...I'm able to look around more and enjoy the scenery with a copilot on board.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:07 PM
cdavis11

I've flown it on smaller park flyers and it does what it does - which in my opinion is keeping them stable in wind and making them feel like bigger planes.

I do have a Spectrum AS3X RX in an FMS Yak 130...it does *ok*.

I'm on the fence really, I do like to fly the plane myself.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:13 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by Virgil Kee View Post
I've had really bad experience with so-called stabilization function on several models. Some do not work even when new, while others LOSE this capability after some good flight history!

Any help? Wrong forum?

Virg.

What sort of problems have you experienced?

I don't have any Personally but they are in a lot of the RTFs and they seem to work quite well.

I use Futaba and FrSky receivers.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:02 AM
Virgil Kee

Question AS3X = a Hoax?

Thanks for your responses to my post so far. For the most part, you seem satisfied with this stabilization feature, at least on Horizon models. I had a ParkZone UM P-51 AS3X which lost its stab'n function after one crash. I added some flight control mods which I hope will correct the problem (no test flights possible before spring). I had a second one of this model which I took out of the box for the first time, AND, the stab'n had no function either! What am I bid for this brand new P-51?

As some of you pointed out, there are other stabilization devices which DO WORK. I have two other Horizon models that are O.K.: the UMX Waco,and the UMX Cessna 182. Maybe Horizon got these from a different source?

Finally, I have two models by RAGE and one by VOLANTEX which function perfectly. The mystery continues!!

Virg.

Last edited by Virgil Kee; 03-03-2019 at 05:06 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 03-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

From the Spektrum website:
Q- When I do a control correction test, I am not seeing any movement on the surfaces.

A- This could be one of two things. First, if this is an AS3X only plane or SAFE is not turned on, then the corrective movement on the controls can be subtle and is only proportionate to the disturbance that the model endures. Move the model quickly and watch the surface as the model is moving. Secondly, correction does not start until the throttle has passed 25% at least once. After that point, throttle can be brought back to the off position and the control correction test can be conducted. Try Beginner mode, which has self-leveling, where correction direction is most obvious.

Are you first applying 25%+ throttle to activate the AS3X system? If not then your aircraft are likely operating as designed. At first I thought my UMX Habu was junk (well one servo kinda was) but after I researched it was obvious I had never given enough throttle to activate AS3X. Hey, it's worth a try before condemning the planes......

Joe
Old 05-27-2020, 10:28 PM
Virgil Kee

Question New Failure of AS3X

I have a Volantex 761-1 (CHEAP!!!!), but have had great success with it and with stabilization. Currently, there's a NEW problem: The TX has three degrees of assist (None; Some; and Full). With no assist, the rudder is perfect, but with either of the assist settings, the servos (Both) CHATTER continuously, and the rudder moves left/right/left/right/left/right non-stop (like a puppy dog tail)!

What's your guess: servo problem or maybe the TX
Virg.

Last edited by Virgil Kee; 05-28-2020 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Not clear yet.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:22 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Virgil Kee View Post
I have a Volantex 761-1 (CHEAP!!!!), but have had great success with it and with stabilization. Currently, there's a NEW problem: The TX has three degrees of assist (None; Some; and Full). With no assist, the rudder is perfect, but with either of the assist settings, the servos (Both) CHATTER continuously, and the rudder moves left/right/left/right/left/right non-stop (like a puppy dog tail)!

What's your guess: servo problem or maybe the TX
Virg.
Didn't know Volantex used Horizon Hobby AS3X ... they are completely different brands ... Volantex is connected to brand Lanyu. They have their own Stab.

I would suggest that either the Gain is set too high ... or you have Tx sitting too close to model.

Chatter is a common problem with budget Digital servos ... and is why I rarely use digital ... quite often you can stop it by just knocking the stick on Tx to 'jerk' the servo. But its not good to have. I know a few who fly with chatter - saying that in the air as they are moving sticks a lot and also airflow sorts it out ... sorry - that's not for me !