Banana Hobbies - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Banana Hobbies

Old 01-21-2018, 11:25 PM
garyp1029

Default Banana Hobbies

Is Banana Hobbies in Los Angeles a reliable and safe company to buy a plane from??? Thanks. Gary
Old 01-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Stay Quiet

Some love them, most don't. You decide for yourself.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/toys/banana_hobby.html
Old 01-22-2018, 01:12 PM
formontoya

I've purchased a trainer plane plus a 4 channel battery charger several years ago, no issues. Last year I purchased a 55" Cessna...absolutely enjoy that plane...no issues on it either.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:20 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I was considering a major purchase, their 9 channel Corsair. Had heard a lot of things about them and was somewhat leery about purchasing so I reached out them via email back before Christmas.

Their responses seemed genuine and heartfelt that they had a bad reputation but had changed management, and a lot of new people are on board now trying to make this company better. Their responses to the several questions I asked them over a few days were timely and sincere.

I did not end up getting the Corsair but I did buy a couple motors and some other stuff. The prices were good, the shipping fair, and they arrived in a timely manner. Sadly the two motors I got were just in a plastic baggie with no documentation, spec sheet, or data of any sort. It is available online but one usually expects at least a manufacturer sheet with a new motor purchase.

I suspect that if I were to want that Corsair I would take a chance on them based on this experience.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:26 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

They have had issues in the past that they seem to have worked out, so you should be OK if they have something you want.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:59 PM
garyp1029

I tried calling twice. Left a message to call me as I am interested in buying one of their Techone planes. So far--1 hour before their closing--no response. It probably isn't a good idea to buy from a company which does not respond. Gary
Old 01-23-2018, 12:11 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Banana started out as a father/son operation out of their home...eventually pulling in a few investors and ramping up as a little retail shop out of a warehouse in a light industrial complex......about the time on-line retailing started.......Dad had connections with Asian RC distributors, thus the FMS, HSD, Freewing relabeled BlitzRC works products.

It's been a few years, but it was a 40/60 split by the majority of their consumers.......40 return customers, 60 never to return. Customer service and parts availability were their major downfalls. Even though the Son handled most of the marketing, testing, model review and video presentations, many felt there was a good amount of product miss-representation....a couple of legal challenges cleaned that up.

Today, who really knows, there has been a change in personnel, their shipping and delivery commitments seem to be legit. But the product line has only changed names. Pretty much the same quality they have been pushing for nearly 10yrs.......some like, some pass on the products.