RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Seriously Stumped---Need HELP!!!

Old 04-22-2021, 01:46 PM
Groundloop
Groundloop

Default Seriously Stumped---Need HELP!!!

I posted this on the "beginners" forum yesterday and came to the conclusion that this forum might be a better location for my problem.
I have a new RadioLink AT9S TX and R9DS RCVR that I am trying to use in an Eflite Timber X pnp. An example of my problem is that, when trying to reverse the direction of the elevator, the throttle stick also reverses direction. The motor is shut off in the forward position instead of the back. If I reverse the throttle to the correct position, the elevator also reverses back to the wrong direction!!! I have not been able to get the controls to all function in the correct direction at the same time. Sometimes the elevator or rudder just cycle back/forth without any movement of the TX controls at all!!! I do, however, have the rudder/aileron connections reversed in the RCVR because I prefer to have the rudder/elevator on the same stick.

Also, being a rank beginner with a multi-function TX, I don't understand function of all the 2 and 3 position switches on top of the TX. There are 2 sliding switches on the back that I can find no use for either. The 2 knobs on the front are understood.

Any help on my problem is greatly appreciated.
Groundlooped
Old 04-22-2021, 09:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The first thing I would do is remove prop then return all plugs to normal positions ..... if Mode 2 : Throttle / Rudder .... Elevator / Aileron. Check all work correctly in direction etc.

If not - then I would based on your post above - start by reversing one control ... test ... if it reverses correctly without changing any other - fine. Return it to original direction. Now reverse next and check ... if correct etc. return to original .... do this for all controls.

What we are doing is confirming normal operation.

What mode are you using ? Because Mode 1 is Rudd / Elev on left stick .... Thrott / Aileron on right stick.

If you are having controls cycling when TX is not being moved ..... increase distance between TX and model - see if that stops the servos cycling ... sometimes its just too close. If that does not cure it ... then I suggest you have a connection problem in the model .... unplug and re-plug in making sure correct way round and fully home. Check voltage to RX from ESC ... with all connected start jiggling wires - see if any cause jittery or glitches when jiggled ...

99% of the time it comes down to a process of elimination .....
Old 04-22-2021, 10:56 PM
Groundloop
Groundloop

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The first thing I would do is remove prop then return all plugs to normal positions ..... if Mode 2 : Throttle / Rudder .... Elevator / Aileron. Check all work correctly in direction etc.

If not - then I would based on your post above - start by reversing one control ... test ... if it reverses correctly without changing any other - fine. Return it to original direction. Now reverse next and check ... if correct etc. return to original .... do this for all controls.

What we are doing is confirming normal operation.

What mode are you using ? Because Mode 1 is Rudd / Elev on left stick .... Thrott / Aileron on right stick.

If you are having controls cycling when TX is not being moved ..... increase distance between TX and model - see if that stops the servos cycling ... sometimes its just too close. If that does not cure it ... then I suggest you have a connection problem in the model .... unplug and re-plug in making sure correct way round and fully home. Check voltage to RX from ESC ... with all connected start jiggling wires - see if any cause jittery or glitches when jiggled ...

99% of the time it comes down to a process of elimination .....

Thank you so much. I actually got things sorted out shortly after I posted this. I was too close to the RX. I have the throttle/ailerons on the left and the rudder/elevator on the right. My only previous experience is on a HobbyZone Super Cub with the set up that way. It had no ailerons though. The flaps are on the left pot/knob. The hobby shop that I bought the airplane from is sure that I will not be able to handle this airplane since it's for an intermediate-expert pilot. I hope I can prove him wrong. I have a 100 acre plus area of nothing but tall (3' high) grass to fly over so perhaps I will get lucky. If I'm not they will profit from my crashes. (If they're lucky)
Again, I really appreciate your help.