Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Auto racing. Which series do you support?

Old 01-12-2019, 09:16 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
They tried identical cars in the GP Masters ... ended up with Mansell winning every race. Died a death because it created even worse procession round the track. It was nice to see old F1 tracks brought back to life for it though.

Nigel
I see Nigel Mansell won in 2005 and Eddie Cheever in 2006. This is the first I've heard of the series. Must not have had much coverage in the USA before it went bankrupt. Even in USA open wheel after leaving F1 Mansell was loved.

Joe
Old 01-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Red Bull does not build street cars but they do sell tons of caffeine.
Yep! I worked on the Arizona State University Tempe campus for over 5 years night shift. They have a Mini Cooper convertible that they drive around at night with scantily clad hot girls handing out iced "crack cocaine in a can" to anyone that will take it. You should have seen the sour looks on their faces when I would say no thank you....

Joe

Old 01-14-2019, 09:56 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I just don't get the addiction to the Red Bulls and the 5 Hour Energy drinks. I see a lot of kids drinking them and that does not seem like a really good idea. Then there is the high caffeine coffee stuff, whatever that is. I don't drink coffee so I don't know much about Lattes and Mochachacinos or whatever they are, but I am guessing they are high power with caffeine. I do get my caffeine from a Diet Coke or two each day and from iced tea, but that is the limit.

And back to racing. I am looking forward to all the racing seasons starting soon.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:03 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I just don't get the addiction to the Red Bulls and the 5 Hour Energy drinks. I see a lot of kids drinking them and that does not seem like a really good idea. Then there is the high caffeine coffee stuff, whatever that is. I don't drink coffee so I don't know much about Lattes and Mochachacinos or whatever they are, but I am guessing they are high power with caffeine. I do get my caffeine from a Diet Coke or two each day and from iced tea, but that is the limit.

And back to racing. I am looking forward to all the racing seasons starting soon.
Pal of mine does a lot of driving from Latvia to Germany etc. - and he USED to drink Red Bull to keep him going ... he ended up in Hospital with heart palpitations ... doctors reckoned the amount he was drinking was 'banging away' at his heart.
He has had a mild heart attack since and is now on a strict regime with Red Bull and the copies ... Monster Drink ... etc. banned ...

Nigel
Old 01-14-2019, 10:33 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Pal of mine does a lot of driving from Latvia to Germany etc. - and he USED to drink Red Bull to keep him going ... he ended up in Hospital with heart palpitations ... doctors reckoned the amount he was drinking was 'banging away' at his heart.
He has had a mild heart attack since and is now on a strict regime with Red Bull and the copies ... Monster Drink ... etc. banned ...

Nigel
That is similar to what I have heard about the "energy drinks". They cannot be good for you although we do lots of things that are not good for us.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:47 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

That is similar to what I have heard about the "energy drinks". They cannot be good for you although we do lots of things that are not good for us.
I used to work with a guy 6 years ago that always walked around with an "energy drink" in each hand. Two different brands and I don't remember which. I'll try to dig up a picture of him with the two culprits in his hands. After surgery to remove kidney stones too large to pass caused by these "energy drinks" he finally dropped them and kept to drinking plain water. I talked to him last week. Still drinking water and ZERO energy drinks anymore. No further problems....

Joe
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I used to be a huge NASCAR fan growing before it was on TV. Would sit out in my dads garage and listen on the radio almost every weekend. It was so exciting back then. Then the early days of ESPN coverage from the real tracks like Rockingham, North Wilksboro, Nashville Fairgrounds and such were great.

Move forward to the present day and I have no interest in spinning billboards and human interest stories. the things they have done to it have killed it. That is very evident by the empty stands at most event nowadays. sad

Can't say that I watch any of them any longer. just not into it anymore.
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I can see where you are coming from, Bill, but it is still big motors, high speeds and racing between great drivers. NASCAR is one of the greatest series in close relationships with the fans. They realize where their support comes from.

The problem with the dropping attendance, I believe, it the current obsession with social media and short attention spans of the younger generations. It seems that anything that lasts over fifteen minutes cannot hold their attention and if they cannot watch it on their iphone, it is not worth watching.

The human interest stories are optional. Just watch the race coverage during the actual race. I personally enjoy knowing more about the drivers. It humanizes them. Dale Earnhardt was always just the Intimidator, but he was a real person behind that tag. However, we never got to know him until after he was gone.

Plus, I like the low tech of Cup cars. Remember we are just a few years past carburetors.
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

For all the moans about F1 ... it does actually lead to developments on normal road cars. Bit like Space Exploration and NASA / COSMO programs .. where items such as pump pens, velcro etc. get into ordinary lives.

Nigel
Old Today, 03:27 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I am not sure how much F1 adds to road cars. I have not seen too many road cars with pneumatic valve trains that rev to13,000 rpm. I think F1 is a bit too exotic to reach the real world anytime soon.

You are correct in that the space program has added to useful products. I am allergic to poison ivy and I use a product called Tecnu that cleans off the urushiol oils that cause me to break out. Tecnu was developed to clean the space shuttle before the heat resistant tiles were glued to the surface.

It will be interesting to see how this season goes for F1 and all the other racing series, starting with the Chili Bowl going on just now in Tulsa and then the 24 hour race at Daytona next month.
Old Today, 11:44 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

KERS and Hybrid cars have a common road ... they may have different intentions ... KERS to increase power to overtake ... Hybrid to reduce fuel consumption ... but they have crossed over to provide development.

Tyre technology - why would a manufacturer of Tyres waste so much time providing to F1 ? The extremes the tyres are subjected to is then useful for development of tread and construction patterns for the changing world of road users.

They are just two examples.

On the subject of high RPM and Valves ... my 3ltr Twin Ram 24V had hydraulic valve system which owed a lot to earlier F1 use. Look at many of todays high performance road cars and see what RPM and systems they use.

Sadly the days of road side repair with hammer and pliers has long gone !!

Nigel