new spektrum system for JR and Futaba - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

new spektrum system for JR and Futaba

Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 PM
skiman762
FFFC

Default new spektrum system for JR and Futaba

I see they now have the spektrum setup for JR and Futaba module TX that will be nice even though it is a tad pricey but it would be cool to keep the tx you have and not have to reprogram all your models

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/T...odID=SPMMSFUT7

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/T...rodID=SPMMSJR9

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/T...odID=SPMMSFUT9
Old 02-22-2007, 08:38 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Its nice if you already have those high $$$ radios. The DX7 is the other alternative if you dont.

I wonder if everybody switches to 2.4 Ghz, I could have 72 Mhz all to myself!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:46 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

What I'm wondering is, instead of releasing a "DX9", they are doing these modules for JR and Futaba instead?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Sparky Paul
Super Contributor

I've got a couple of 7UAF radios sitting around.. Hmmmm...
Old 02-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Ordered the module for my 9C and a couple of 6100 RX's yesterday
Old 02-25-2007, 12:39 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Could someone put this in simple terms? I read the release, but couldn't really understand what this meant for Futaba people. I have a 7C radio. Does this mean I can turn it into a 2.4 Ghz and use the Spektrum Rx's? Or is this only true for higher-end radios? Or not at all?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:05 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

I have a 7C radio. Does this mean I can turn it into a 2.4 Ghz and use the Spektrum Rx's? Or is this only true for higher-end radios? Or not at all?
No the 7c does not accept modules - it is single frequency only.

"DX9", they are doing these modules for JR and Futaba instead? __________________
Gary Hallman
Unlikely.....the DX9 will bring the same lightning fast responses of the DX7 but with the added software mixes/channels.

The high end flyers that have been using the DX7 in place of the very high end systems like the lack of latency and will demand the system (I think)!

Mike
Old 02-25-2007, 02:10 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:11 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

The Futaba module info has an almost random looking list of the radios it works with. The 7C is not on the list (no module) but the old 7U is. My 8U which has an RF module isn't but for some reason the incredibly old 8J is.

I wonder what game they're playing.

Steve
Old 02-25-2007, 03:08 PM
admin
Administrator

Huge thread on it here with answers from Horizon and Spektrum techs too:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5457298/tm.htm
Old 02-25-2007, 04:39 PM
ka0hyz

Default Rf mod

I didnt find where you was saying the radios it will work with..
I have the 8UAPS and it has RF mod,Will it work on this radio?
thanks
thomas
Old 02-26-2007, 01:02 AM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Did you follow the links in the first post, particularly this one ?

Read the information under "Compatible with the following Futaba Radios:". The 8U is not in the list. That's why in post #9 I said "My 8U which has an RF module isn't (in the list)"

Steve
Old 02-26-2007, 01:28 PM
ka0hyz

Default long time

Guys
Well i guess I will just stay with my 50mhz controllers and Rxs.I think the new spektrum is great but not that good as to get me to invest into new radio gear.Its like anything new,everyone runns and gets one.
I will see later on down the years..
Have a great day all!!
thomas
ka0hyz
Old 02-26-2007, 03:51 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

I've been perched on the fence for a while here. I thought about getting a DX6 when it first came out, then figured I'd better wait for a "full-featured" system. Then the DX7 came out, and I figured I'd wait until the modules for my two Hitec radios became available. Now that they're right around the corner, the prospect of refitting my fleet with new receivers at $100 each for the bigger planes and $50 each for the smaller ones suddenly doesn't seem so appealing......especially with a baby(and all the attendant financial responsibilities associative of) on the way in a few short months. I'd really like to make the jump, having lost two planes this past year due to rf problems, but think I'm going to have to continue sitting on the fence for a while until the costs of conversion come down or my fleet is downsized. Dang, it's tempting though!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:49 PM
jperch

Personally, I was not that impressed with the DX7. It is based on the JR 7202 and that is a fine radio. But the heli features are a bit limited. I would prefer to have a radio that I can grow with. My 9303 is a good example of that. I am currently using probably 25% of it. But I don't think I will be able to grow, at least not as much, with the 7202/DX7. I like the technology, but I would have preferred a higher end radio.

Because of this, I have been eagerly awaiting the release of these modules. The rumor mill had stated that the latency would be very small, much more like the DX7 than the DX6. However, it that doesn't appear to be true given the statements on the web site. I would be really upset to spend $300 on this module only to find out it flies like a DX6.

Also, I am not really fond of the antenna setup. I understand the requirements. But is that little wire going to be robust enough to stand up to every day use? It looks like I will have to remove it every time I store my Tx in its case and put it back on to use it. That is a lot of reconnect/disconnect cycles. Can it really withstand that much? Also, how long before I snag that wire on something in everyday use? How hard is it going to be to break that connection? Are replacements going to be available? How much?

These are all questions I would need answered before I make the switch. At the moment, it looks like waiting for a DX9 or whatever they will call it is the way to go for me.

Joe
Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 PM
obxflyer

The name of the Game is How much? To Switch, to replace, to up-grade, and the list goes on and on. I can see who is getting the better end of the deal, can you? BC
Old 02-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Driver330

Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Did you follow the links in the first post, particularly this one ?

Read the information under "Compatible with the following Futaba Radios:". The 8U is not in the list. That's why in post #9 I said "My 8U which has an RF module isn't (in the list)"

Steve
I started my radio experience with the Hitec Optic6, hated it and got an second hand 8U (not the super). Just out of curiosity I plugged the synthesized module from the Optic6 into the 8U and guess what - it worked without any problems at all.

Later on I found out that Futaba originally offered the Futaba Synth module for the 8U's and when they launched the new 9C they had a change of heart by telling people "We don't recommend using the synth module in the 8U series". Go figure.

I would not be too surprised if the Spectrum would work in the 8U just fine - that would not be me though. Sold my 8U, got a 9C Synth but I am not willing to pay $$$ for the way overpriced 2.4 gHz spectrum module and for receivers twice as much as 72mHz.

Just my 2c.

BoKo
Old 02-26-2007, 06:24 PM
obxflyer

I have waited all year for the DX7. Knowing it was just a matter of time. Futaba has been doing spread spectrum for a long time (15 yrs) and it was just "not feasable for the R/C market". Translation = $$$$ not there. R/Cs were not ready for it. Enter the DX6 and 2.4Gz with dirt cars and trucks, now R/Cs are saying it good for them too. Park flyers are all over the place and now the Dx7 has got to come out as fast as possible.
Big $$ push Big $$ and the need for the pop in units for high end radios (Tx) are the next item out. Now here comes the crushing blow, it's three times the cost of regular Rx. The pop in unit is as much as a stand alone DX7. So you spend some time reprograming. It may need it.
BC and my 3 cents
Old 02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
rclark
Oh boy, here we go again!

I am not willing to pay $$$ for the way overpriced 2.4 gHz spectrum module and for receivers twice as much as 72mHz.
Until you plow in your $500 plane (which you worked on for 4 months) due to a conflict ..... Personally though, I am waiting to see what happens with Xtreme systems first before deciding on this Technology for my Hitec radios....
Old 02-26-2007, 07:07 PM
DaveChipps

For those of you not in the know, Futaba has a new 2.4 Ghz radio coming out next month for only $219.95 for TX and RX Here is the link at Tower Hobbies.
I have mine ordered already:http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPZT8&P=PR
Old 02-26-2007, 08:33 PM
obxflyer

Got it on order...Chipps. This is one you can't beat the price here. But this is not the high end exchange module. Here is the stand alone unit like DX6 but, for all aircraft.....BC
Old 02-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Driver330

Originally Posted by rclark View Post
Until you plow in your $500 plane (which you worked on for 4 months) due to a conflict ..... Personally though, I am waiting to see what happens with Xtreme systems first before deciding on this Technology for my Hitec radios....
Unless:
1. You fly where nobody else flies. Very safe but not much fun unless you like talking to yourself a lot.
2. Constant kicking other fliers to reveal their frequency.
3. Don't forget your own frequency flag.
4. Get a frequency checker.
5. Buy glue in larger quantities...

BoKo
Old 02-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Driver330

Originally Posted by DaveChipps View Post
For those of you not in the know, Futaba has a new 2.4 Ghz radio coming out next month for only $219.95 for TX and RX Here is the link at Tower Hobbies.
I have mine ordered already:http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPZT8&P=PR
That would be a nice one to have...as a backup perhaps.
BoKo
Old 02-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

I don't understand why people feel they must convert ALL their airplanes over right now.

What's wrong with drawing a virtual line in the sand, and saying, "From here on out I will equip any new plane, and maybe some of my favorites, with the new 2.4GHz system?"

It's not like 72MHz is going away any time soon, and as more people switch over to spread spectrum, the 72MHz channels will be easier to get at the field.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:36 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

I don't understand why people feel they must convert ALL their airplanes over right now.
I felt the same way - It took me about a year. But it was so nice having the no frequency flag, no conflicts solid link that I found myself rushing to get everything on 2.4GHz.

The nice thing (for me!) is I sold most of my old 72MHz receivers when they "almost" covered the cost of new Spektrum RX's....

Now that Spektrum is in short supply and high demand - and everyone else is unloading their 72MHz RX stuff - it has changed a bit.

6-8 months ago most of my Electron 6's went for $40-45 and my old 555's went for $35-40. They are not demanding that price anymore....

With that money and the money from selling my old 72MHz TX's the switch didn't cost all that much.

At any rate - that does help to offset some of the swithing cost, but I fully agree, it does not have to happen overnight.

Mike

Quick Reply: new spektrum system for JR and Futaba

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14889 seconds with 11 queries