SC Servo Noise at full stick - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

SC Servo Noise at full stick

Old 06-11-2007, 05:10 AM
marchino61

Default SC Servo Noise at full stick

I was testing my newly rebuilt (again!) Super Cub yesterday on the bench.

I replaced the firewall, cowl and prop, and replaced the wing strusts with a carbon fibre strip epoxied to the centre of the underside of the wing. Needed to add another 11g weight (=20 cent coin) to the nose - I did not weigh the strip, but it seems it must be relatively heavy. AUW gone from 700g when I removed the landing gear to about 740g now. 22g of that is to get the CoG (just) ahead of the CoL rather than behind it.

All seemed ok except one of the servos made a humming noise when held at the full stick position (in one direction only).

ACT was off.

Any ideas?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:10 AM
jperch

Typically when a servo buzzes, especially at the extremes of movement, it is caused by a mechanical binding in the the linkage somewhere. Try disconnecting the servo from the linkage and see if it still makes noise. If not, then it is binding.

Basicaly, the mechanical structure is preventing the servo form moving as far as you are commending it to. This is not a good situation. This can lead to early servo failure and excessive current draw. It is best if you can correct this.

I hope this is helpful,
Joe