upgrading to trex - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

upgrading to trex

Old 03-21-2007, 11:42 AM
dicko
dicko

Default upgrading to trex

ok, i have been learning to fly my venom nr3d for a year or so now and can hover tail and nose in and do some basic forward flight and now i want to upgrade to a more quality bird.
The heli i have chose is the trex 450 se (cde) and i have been doing a bit of research on the proper setup and so far i have come up with...
hs56hb cyclic servos
s9650 tail servo
gy401 gyro
spectrum dx7 radio
I just have a few things i am unsure about
Firstly what dose (cde) stand for?
And what are the differences between the 450se and the 450se v2
any help would be greatly apreciated
thank you in advance
dicko
Old 03-21-2007, 01:16 PM
redgiki

Go for the HS65MG rather than HS56HB. The 65 fits perfectly on the SE, while you have to do some trimming with 56's. Also, if you crash, the MG gears will survive, while you'll be replacing gear sets with the HB.

CDE doesn't stand for anything specific that I know of, it's just Align's designation for a CCPM setup rather than a one-servo-per-direction setup.

There is a new "official" 450SE v2 which features an improved tail mechanism and a hotter motor (the 430XL w/35-amp ESC). If it doesn't have both of those features, the vendor is just calling it a "v2" because it features a newer motor than the original SE release. The first SE release had a 420L motor at 3000Kv; newer ones feature a 430L motor at 3550Kv, and the 430SE official "v2" features the 430XL (3800Kv, I think).
Old 03-21-2007, 02:53 PM
jperch

The official Trex 450 SE V2 also includes a new head design that includes thrust bearings in the blade grips. If you are interested in a 450, go for the V2. But, I am hearing that they might be difficult to get. They are very popular.

Joe
Old 03-21-2007, 05:24 PM
PilotDane

My SA has one medium and one hard crash and the HS65MG servos are still good. Two of the servos are mounted inside the frame so it is more difficult to remove them for repair. The HS65MG are well worth it to save the hassle of pulling the heli apart just to replace servo gears.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:24 PM
jperch

I have to admit the idea of metal gears sounds like a good one. I am running plane old HS-55's in my SE. I have only crashed a couple of time and I have had to replace gears. It is kind of a pain. I am a big believer in the HS65's though I have not tried them in my 450SE. From what I can tell, they are only slightly different in size from the HS55's but are better servos.

Joe
Old 03-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Adrian

Cool

Align are updating helis at regular intervals, a good thing really as they strive to dominate in a 'class' of their own design, the good news even if you buy an older model it is easily upgraded to latest spec. Plus many of the mods strictly not of any real use for a beginner/intermediate/sports flyer, but usualy aimed at the hardcore 3D flyers which sells across the range because of two reasons A) I'm a 3D god! B) because I want to be/or appear to be a 3D god.
Also HS metal gears are great until you jam a servo & it burns out instead of just stripping the gears on plastic-which I admit are a bit of a fiddle to change.
the differance's between the two models are down to head & chassis design. Se uses 3 servos to do the work the cheaper 2 servo model uses, the reason being more reliable, also the servos work directly to the head as opposed to using long linkages between servo & arm, which induce slop.
Cant fault 401gyro, give it a bottle of vodka & it will still get through a sobriety test-rock solid
Old 03-22-2007, 08:01 AM
dicko
dicko

thanks for all the information i think i will just get the 450se and if i need to i will upgrade the parts but i cant see myself flying any hardcore 3d for a while yet so i probably wont need them and i will probably go with the hs65mg servos now
thanks
Old 03-23-2007, 12:12 PM
jermo

Here's an overview with video of the T-Rex 450 SE V2.
http://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=31453

I second the suggestion to use the HS65MG servo's. No broken gears to fuss with.
Jermo