Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

What Is Your All Time Favorite WW II Airplane.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 PM
road king 97
old hat

One of my favorit air show was a very long time ago ,i cant remember the pilots name but he flew a all black shrike. He would yank and bank it fly inverted very low to the ground ,kill both motors ,start one and land with only one motor. Iam shure but hank would know who i was watching. joe
Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
heres mine, tho i dont know what it is , rare,> i have seen a pic of a real one, and i said omg- my Wen Mac is prototypical ! 6 big exhaust pipes coming out just behind the pilot, (mines missing the pipes on one side) big air intake behind the pilothouse, (yea thats not what its called lol) nose guns, wing guns, a big red beacon on top that may probably not be correct-
i googled WW2 fighters last night for an hour and saw nothing like it
Kingcobra ........ I had the WenMac RTF Control Line model many years ago with 049 WenMac Glow engine in it ........ fuel tank was a disaster where it was a lid clipped onto a built in tank ... the lid wouldn't stay clipped in place.
My Control line model had no underwing form .. and two pylons to have line fired spring rockets !
Old 06-09-2011, 07:36 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The trouble with WW2 was planes were crossing design borders that literally have never been repeated again so wide ... Biplanes, open cockpit, stressed skin, fabric covered, supercharged, Nitrous Oxide, Jets, Rockets, Rotary, Radial, In-line, V ..... 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 and more engines ... The range was just so astounding.

War reqt's were pushing limits on planes and production ... in cases such as ME-109 - still flying long after it should have been replaced ... bombers to carry loads that were even pushing limits of road transport !

So my fav's ?

Trainer : Tiger Moth

Bomber : My Father flew Wellingtons mainly and my Mother headed up a ground maintenance staff for Lancasters ........ so I have to plump as equal first place on the Wimpy and Lanc. I add the B-17 as close second as a child I was taken for a flight in a B-17 - actually the one used in Steve McQueen movie "The Warlover" ... my Father and friends delivered / flew it over for the movie.

Fighter : Not possible for me to leave out the Spitfire, particularly the early marks with the high rear fuselage ... and then the mainstay of Battle of Britain - The Hurricane. Close seconds are the P-51 and Typhoon ... but punish me for leaving out the incredible Mosquitoe ... so good in fact it was only lightly armed as it could fly in ... get out literally before anyone could catch it ! and built in WOOD !

Iconic aircraft ... ME-262 ... Stuka ..... Zero ...... so many ....

I would like to mention in Dispatches - as the pilots who flew these and carried out their missions must have been some of the bravest ever ... a slow flying stringbag which built up a strike record during the war that endures to this day .... Crippled Bismark ... Struck into Taranto Italian fleet just to quote 2 of the many ... The Swordfish Torpedo Bomber.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:30 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

there is just something about the A6M5 Zero...nothing odd or special about it...just looks right:

[media]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/marksale05/RC%20Air/IMG_1512.jpg[/media]
Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Mig-3 has been looking pretty hot lately.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

"Bob" HOOVER..was one of the most famous for flying twins in shows. I saw him several times and he was very impressive..the neat part of the show was when he did indeed cut both engines and soar in..there was a guy standing on the runway who would not move, and BOB would plant the nose of the Commander on his chest right at the stopping point. He did know that airplane. I was very lucky to fly the same plane in my career..it was a pretty darn good twin!
Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Hi
Bob Hoover
Do enjoy
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ght=bob+hoover
Take care
Yours Hank
Old 06-10-2011, 07:33 AM
eliworm

De Havilland Mosquito

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLnOlaFGac[/media]
Old 06-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Opuske
Trojan T-28 Fan

My favorite warbird is still the trojan T-28.
I dont know why but i just love that plane ever since i had to chance to sit in one years and years ago and also made a flight as passenger in it.
I just fell in love with it and that still is going on now.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:29 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Originally Posted by Opuske View Post
My favorite warbird is still the trojan T-28.
I dont know why but i just love that plane ever since i had to chance to sit in one years and years ago and also made a flight as passenger in it.
I just fell in love with it and that still is going on now.
Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
I Love the Trojan as well heres one at Wings and Wheels
Do enjoy
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=wings+wheels
And pic of my rc version
Take care
Yours Hank

Last edited by kenchiroalpha; 08-15-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:59 AM
road king 97
old hat

Hank iam amased at the airplanes and stuff you have ,reminds me of me.lmao joe
Old 06-11-2011, 02:32 AM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
I Love the Trojan as well heres one at Wings and Wheels
Do enjoy
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=wings+wheels
And pic of my rc version
Take care
Yours Hank
I like this one too. I've always been confused about the black stripe on the sides. I've read they paint it black because it would be covered in exhaust/oil anyway. OK that's fine, but it's not the only plane with this exhaust configuration so why the only one with the paint. Please school me.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:03 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

I've seen and heard of several guys at our field loose the canopies for the T-28's in flight. Have you guys experienced this? I think I'd have to throw on a nother magnet or 2.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:18 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
Hank iam amased at the airplanes and stuff you have ,reminds me of me.lmao joe
Hi Joe
Thanks at last count over 300 vehicles in my hanger
Will have try and get a group shot one day
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 06-11-2011, 03:24 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Talking

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
One of my favorit air show was a very long time ago ,i cant remember the pilots name but he flew a all black shrike. He would yank and bank it fly inverted very low to the ground ,kill both motors ,start one and land with only one motor. Iam shure but hank would know who i was watching. joe
Hi Joe
Here ya go
Do enjoy
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PftNh_SShlg[/media]
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 06-11-2011, 04:19 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

The ones that never saw service: The flying wings (Northrup and Horten).

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Opuske
Trojan T-28 Fan

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
I've seen and heard of several guys at our field loose the canopies for the T-28's in flight. Have you guys experienced this? I think I'd have to throw on a nother magnet or 2.
I have never lost a canopy on the field during flight.
Not on my parkzone t-28's and neither on my fms/airfield t-28's.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:12 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Oh yeah, I meant the PZ version!

I guess I'll chime in and say I'm in agreement with Solent life, I can't say just one is my favorite. Favorite WWII planes I haven't seen listed which I like: B-26 Marauder, FW-190, Avenger, Brewster Buffalo, Typhoon/Tempest, AR-234, He-163, C-46, Etc..... I'm hopeless! I also like learning about the more obscure, even not so pretty ones, like the Barracuda.

I guess the one WWII plane I really liked watching most this year at Chino, though, was the Corsair. Guess Baa Baa Black Sheep got me when I was a kid. Though it was cool to see an FW-190 fly. First time for me.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:14 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi Joe
Here ya go
Do enjoy
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PftNh_SShlg[/media]
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
That was the one hank ,amasing how much he trusted his plane and what it could do . I was about 15 or 16 when i seen him fly at the air show but i will never for get it, and thanks hank for letting me see it again. joe
Old 06-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Bob Hoover and his energy conservation air show routine. Sounds boring. But it was one of the most exciting displays of flying genius you've ever seen. All maneuvers were done at 1G. He routinely put a glass of water on the console and flew the whole thing without spilling a drop.

Bob Hoover is one of the most legendary military test pilots of all times and has lived through dozens of incident types that have killed more
mortal men.

While test flying the Boeing 707 he barrel rolled the thing at 1G on takeoff. The poor plane never knew the abuse it had suffered!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

P-38, without doubt. My grandfather owned eight of the full-sized aircraft after the war -- he based his business of aerial surveying around the P-38's he owned. Take a look at this web page, and see who the first private owner of this P-38 was -- and look at the price paid for a BRAND NEW P-38!!! This one is currently sitting in the Evergreen Aviation Museum under the wing of the Spruce Goose.

This one is currently at the Yanks Air Museum -- I have actually visited this one (see the photo below).

Now, I have based my business around the P-38 (see my avitar). I have the logo on my front license plate of my car, and it's amazing how often someone comes up to me and asks about it (usually 50 to 80 year old WWII enthusiasts).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	688.8 KB
ID:	149391   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	722.6 KB
ID:	149392   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	724.6 KB
ID:	149393   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	764.6 KB
ID:	149394   Click image for larger version

Name:	17.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	666.5 KB
ID:	149395  

Click image for larger version

Name:	21.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	646.3 KB
ID:	149396   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_5690.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	149397  

Last edited by Lieutenant Loughead; 06-11-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
P-38, without doubt. My grandfather owned eight of the full-sized aircraft after the war -- he based his business of aerial surveying around the P-38's he owned. Take a look at this web page, and see who the first private owner of this P-38 was -- and look at the price paid for a BRAND NEW P-38!!! This one is currently sitting in the Evergreen Aviation Museum under the wing of the Spruce Goose.

This one is currently at the Yanks Air Museum -- I have actually visited this one (see the photo below).

Now, I have based my business around the P-38 (see my avitar). I have the logo on my front license plate of my car, and it's amazing how often someone comes up to me and asks about it (usually 50 to 80 year old WWII enthusiasts).
Hi
Outstanding
Thats a marvelous story,
Great looking Lightnings and a wonderful family portrait
Thanks ever so much for sharing that with us
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 06-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Bob Hoover and his energy conservation air show routine. Sounds boring. But it was one of the most exciting displays of flying genius you've ever seen. All maneuvers were done at 1G. He routinely put a glass of water on the console and flew the whole thing without spilling a drop.

Bob Hoover is one of the most legendary military test pilots of all times and has lived through dozens of incident types that have killed more
mortal men.

While test flying the Boeing 707 he barrel rolled the thing at 1G on takeoff. The poor plane never knew the abuse it had suffered!
I think you mean Tex Johnson. Not to take away from Hoovers tea pouring maunder.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vHiYA6Dmws[/media]
Old 06-11-2011, 08:43 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by baz49exe View Post
I agree however a clubmate has two Mossies one electric and one I/C
What about a Westland Whirlwind? That plane just looked fantastic and they were stationed close by at Exeter.
I was thinking Whirlwind too:

What a shame that there is not a single one surviving
Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

There are too many great WWII planes to single out one above all others..

But the Polikarpov I-16 deserves a mention:http://www.airliners.net/photo/Polik...ype/1610086/L/

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12550 seconds with 19 queries