Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

FMA Cellpro 4S -The Best LiPo Charger?

Old 03-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Default FMA Cellpro 4S -The Best LiPo Charger?

Last edited by Murocflyer; 01-04-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:05 PM
p_r_i_m_e
Loony Toon

I've got one of these and love it ! my only critisism is that it doesn't have a nice metal case being just boards covered with printing and clear shrink wrap, I had to stick some self adhesive feet on it to keep it from moving around the bench.
Technically I can't fault it and it has loads of safeguards to make charging these little bombs as safe as possible.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:30 PM
N3CLI
Retired Pharmacist

Default Frank

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
I haven't seen much discussion on the FMA Cellpro 4S charger by FMA. This has to be one of the easiest and safest plug and play chargers I have seen to date for up to 4 cells.

What do you folks think of it? Have you got one yet? If not, why not?

Comments welcomed.

Frank
I have one and think it is great and priced well also.

Waiting for FMA's new line of lipo cells to be available next month to try them out.

You can not go wrong with FMA products, their receivers are great also.
Fred Marks goes way back in RC and has had many inovative products over the years.

Fred
Old 03-26-2007, 08:05 PM
skiman762
FFFC

The 4s is last years news, but I have one and it is a nice charger
Old 03-26-2007, 08:51 PM
p_r_i_m_e
Loony Toon

the newest ones (like mine) will charge A123's as well
Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 PM
pilotpete2
Pilotpete2

I was a very early adoptor of the Cellpro 4S, it has no competition in it's price range. While I would like a fancier case, I feel that no other charger comes close to the safety and simplicity of use for charging packs in the size range it was designed for. Now, if you think that the Cellpro 4S is the "last word" in Lipo chargers from FMA, stay tuned kids.
Pete
Old 03-27-2007, 12:20 AM
ragbag
Super Contributor

I haven't seen much discussion on the FMA Cellpro 4S charger by FMA. This has to be one of the easiest and safest plug and play chargers I have seen to date for up to 4 cells.

Comments welcomed.

Frank
No, I have two.

My first one came in and a few weeks later they came out with the A123 update.

Rather than give up my first one I ordered another and then updated the "old" one to A123. The update was free, just shipping and handleing.
As some say it's the best one this week!!!!!!

I have several chargers and they sit on the bench while I use the Cellpro.
If I have a 2cell to charge I dig out the FMA 204.

.................................................. ........................................
Old 03-27-2007, 03:11 AM
herk_1
Trash Hauler emeritus

I got one a couple of months ago. I was also considering a Thunder Power charger, but I'm really glad I got the Cellpro. I like the digital readout telling me the voltage (TP charger didn't have a readout) and the percent completion ("fuel"). And I don't have to deal with a separate balancer. And one of the little features that has come in handy during the cold months is that the Cellpro "beeps" at 90 percent completion, which I guess is a feature they put in there for cold-weather use, since the instructions say to not charge a battery past that level if it will be taken out into cold weather (down to 32 degrees), to keep from damaging your battery. So I did my first several charges up to that first "beep."
Old 03-27-2007, 03:54 AM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

I love my CellPro but I think the cold weather cut-off is a pain in the buttski. My basement (where I charge) is quite cool so the charger cuts off at around 90 percent. I want a full charge! So I use my old charger to top it off.
Cold weather was never an issue for my packs before balancing tech, so why would it be now?
Overall, though, it's a lot of bang for the buck and I'm very pleased with it.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 AM
N3CLI
Retired Pharmacist

Default ribcraker

Originally Posted by Ribcracker View Post
I love my CellPro but I think the cold weather cut-off is a pain in the buttski. My basement (where I charge) is quite cool so the charger cuts off at around 90 percent. I want a full charge! So I use my old charger to top it off.
Cold weather was never an issue for my packs before balancing tech, so why would it be now?
Overall, though, it's a lot of bang for the buck and I'm very pleased with it.
It may be annoying but that feature will make your packs last longer which would not show up otherwise.

Fred
Old 03-27-2007, 04:22 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Old 03-27-2007, 04:27 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Chargers

Comments welcomed.

Frank
Itís not the best, but it works. I own one and I also own two Astroflight 109's and in my opinion the Astroflights are a better charger. If you are like me and like to spend all day at the flying field then you need more than one charger to keep up.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:33 PM
skiman762
FFFC

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Itís not the best, but it works. I own one and I also own two Astroflight 109's and in my opinion the Astroflights are a better charger. If you are like me and like to spend all day at the flying field then you need more than one charger to keep up.
What makes them better just wondering
Old 03-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Charger

Backlighted display panel, ability to charge 1-9 cells, ability to charge batteries without balance plugs, ability to discharge, durable housing, quality input and output wires and connectors.

I havenít done anything like a scientific comparison but it seems like the cellpro takes longer in it's fast charge mode to charge an identical battery, discharged to the same level, than the Astroflight at a 1C rate.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:51 PM
pilotpete2
Pilotpete2

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
in my opinion the Astroflights are a better charger.
If you mean that an Astroflight can handle larger capacity cells and higher cell counts, yes, but without a balancer no comparison in the safety and goof proof department.

Quote= "If you are like me and like to spend all day at the flying field then you need more than one charger to keep up".

As I stated in my earlier post, the 4S is not the last word from FMA as to Cellpro chargers
Pete
Old 03-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Best Charger

Topic here is FMA Cellpro 4S -The Best LiPo Charger?

I just gave my comments. For that matter, I donít think the Astroflight is the "best" either. A combination of the best features of both plus make coffee would be ideal!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Last edited by Murocflyer; 01-04-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Gohmer's right. Different chargers have different features and most of us need a combination of chargers so that all of our needs are met (even the coffee feature).
Let's get back to the cold weather charge cut-off issue. Is it about charging in a cold environment, or is it about discharging in a cold environment?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:04 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Lysander

Default Cell Pro 4S by FMA

I have recently bought one of these chargers in Britain and think it is great. The main benefits its seems to me over my other two chargers, Graupner and Robbe, is the very simple, no hassle connection and charge/balancing process. This must surely be a big contributor to safety as it immensely reduces the opportunity for errors. The only changes I would like to see are a better housing which on my version, is very basic. I have made a small, plywood box for mine to protyect in transit and in the field. The other is the 4s limit.

It seems to charge my packs more quickly too.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Frank,
I guess it's just plain old curiosity that makes me ask the question. I'd like to understand as much as I can about my systems. The manual doesn't even hint at why it's neccessary.
So...I wonder if it's bad to fully charge a pack that is cold or if it's bad to discharge a fully charged pack in the cold.
Any of you guys know?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Lysander

The following is meant to shed some light on the critical issues in respect of lipo cells and temperature. It has been written by the guy from whom I bought my FMA CellPro 4S. However, as he is a man of principle he declined to take part in the forum discussion as he did not wish anyone to construe his contribution as soliciting trade. So, for what it worth, here is what he said to me when I put some of the earlier posted queries to him.

"""" A non cell balancing charger will only charge at 1C maximum and then the pack will only be 90% charged. To get 100% charge will take trickle charge for another hour or more. GOHMER is either not comparing like for like with his Astro comment or his Astro is faulty and over charging , the Cell Pro will always be faster on charge with packs upto 3AH.

The critical aspect of Lithium in respect to charge damage is due to the fact that the cell breakdown voltage of cells is only about 100mv higher than the fully charged voltage value . At room temperature the cell fully chrged voltage value is 4.2V. This fully charged voltage value goes down in temperature. If you charge a lithium cell @below 10degC temperature the chrge voltage needs to be about 4.1 volts not 4.2V. If you chrge at 4.2V at this temperature you can damage the cell due to overvoltage at the very least you will damage the cell and reduce lifetime.

If you charge the lithium cell to 4.2V (room temp) and then put the cell in the fridge and took its temperature down to 10C or less you have effectively overcharged the cell because 4.2 volts at this temperature is where cell damage is starting.

All lithium is shipped at 50% to 80% charge state because during transportation the temperatures can go very low in cargo holds or storage centres."""
Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 PM
JWilliams

Originally Posted by herk_1 View Post
I got one a couple of months ago. I was also considering a Thunder Power charger, but I'm really glad I got the Cellpro. I like the digital readout telling me the voltage (TP charger didn't have a readout) and the percent completion ("fuel"). And I don't have to deal with a separate balancer. And one of the little features that has come in handy during the cold months is that the Cellpro "beeps" at 90 percent completion, which I guess is a feature they put in there for cold-weather use, since the instructions say to not charge a battery past that level if it will be taken out into cold weather (down to 32 degrees), to keep from damaging your battery. So I did my first several charges up to that first "beep."
90% beep is purely for informational purposes. The charger has a built in thermometer and will automatically go into cold mode when it wants to and it will say specifically on the screen it's doing the cold weather balance, so if it wants to charge to 100%, let it!
My basement (where I charge) is quite cool so the charger cuts off at around 90 percent. I want a full charge! So I use my old charger to top it off.
I'm totally on board with you on this mode. My basement is in the mid 60's and it kicks into cold weather mode, so I always am forced to run at 90%. I bet they were over sensitive with the settings and will pull it back a bit next time, since it's not supposed to kick in with temps as high as my basement have. CW mode maybe makes sense, but not at 65F!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Quick Reply: FMA Cellpro 4S -The Best LiPo Charger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16738 seconds with 13 queries