Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pee Tee by Nor-Cal Aero – A “Fun Scale” PT-19 Kit - Build and Electric Conversion

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Pee Tee by Nor-Cal Aero – A “Fun Scale” PT-19 Kit - Build and Electric Conversion

Old 02-23-2016, 02:35 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Balsa Completed!

Well, no more balsa to glue together! The roll-over bar is some wood toothpicks and a piece of balsa. The cowl has been glued together. It still needs some cooling holes and sanding... In general, still lots of sanding and fitting everywhere, but it's time to start on the finish sanding and covering prep!

Here's a couple of bare bones shots. You always need a few of these.

Steve
Old 02-23-2016, 02:51 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I hope you didn't glue the roll-over bar on yet... or it can be popped off easily.

It would be all kinds of annoying to cover around it.

Looks excellent.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:34 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
I hope you didn't glue the roll-over bar on yet... or it can be popped off easily.

It would be all kinds of annoying to cover around it.

Looks excellent.
Thanks... It's been fun so far! The pilot and roll-over bar are just sitting there... They're not glued in yet. I could not imagine trying to cover around that.

Steve
Old 03-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Starting On Covering

After some more sanding and filling, I've started on covering the fuselage. The covering is some Towercote that I've had for a while. It's a little heavier than I need, but not too bad. It's the first time I've used Towercote and it's going on easy enough. The fuselage rear area was covered with 5 pieces.

Bottom:

Side:

Turttle deck side:

Completed rear Blue:

Starting on hatch.

Steve
Old 03-01-2016, 08:32 PM
road king 97
old hat

Very nice build Steve .i most time have a big piece of soft foam handy to lay my fuse on while covering ,helps those nicks and bump marks from happening . Covering is the time to slow down and relax a bit since framing is done. Going to be a keeper steve ! joe
Old 03-01-2016, 09:06 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Looking good Steve. I used Towercote on my Astro Hog, I thought I did an OK job but the Towercote is wrinkling much more than any other covering I've used.
I'm taking my remaining rolls of Towercote to the next auction and going back to Ultra Cote.

Paul
Old 03-01-2016, 10:46 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Looking good Steve. I used Towercote on my Astro Hog, I thought I did an OK job but the Towercote is wrinkling much more than any other covering I've used.
I'm taking my remaining rolls of Towercote to the next auction and going back to Ultra Cote.

Paul
Ohh no... Is it wrinkling while on the aircraft? When hot and in the sun ?? Just over time... Or just in storage???

The only other roll of blue I have is a metalic blue. Pretty, but not for this bird.

Steve
Old 03-02-2016, 12:53 AM
pd1
Still Learning

The covering is wrinkling over time. The plane is in the house in a temperature controlled area.
I'll try one more time to shrink the covering and then I'll remove it if it wrinkles again.
Maybe the covering I used was old? I got it from my dad and I think it was 5 or 6 years old at the time.
But you might use another material for the wings and stabilizer.

Paul
Old 03-02-2016, 01:08 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

You have to find the "set" temperature for the Towerkote. Then it resists wrinkling better.

Unfortunately its just a little short of melting through. Yellow is a temperature indicator color. It turns more orange as you get it hotter (turns back yellow when it cools) Once you find the right color of for the yellow (not quite to the same as international orange), you'll be able to find the right temperature every time.

I've had success with 20+ yr old Towerkote. Its not age.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:24 AM
pd1
Still Learning

fnhuber, I'm pretty sure I applied the covering correctly and at the proper temperature.
I actually liked the way Towercote goes on, but the Astro Hog is the only plane I have that wrinkled.
Here's a link to the build thread I did..
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68179

I don"t know exactly when it wrinkled, I am just now strong enough to be able to go downstairs to the shop.
6 months of chemo sucks.

Paul
Old 03-02-2016, 04:10 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
... but the Astro Hog is the only plane I have that wrinkled.
Here's a link to the build thread I did..
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68179

I don"t know exactly when it wrinkled, I am just now strong enough to be able to go downstairs to the shop.
6 months of chemo sucks.

Paul
I'm sorry to hear about the health/chemo stuff Paul. I'd thought that you had disappeared some.... I remember your Astro Hog build. It was a beauty! I have a real soft spot for the older designs.

fhhuber, It's good to hear that not everyone has had issues with Towercote. I'll probably hit it with more heat before I'm done. It does seem to need more heat to shrink than most of the coverings I have used before.

Steve
Old 03-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Some more slow steps on covering...

Slowly progressing... Covered the front bottom and started on small pieces on the wing filet.

Two more pieces on the wing filet.

Then the rest of this side.

Repeated on the other side.... and the blue is done! Started on the yellow. This is SolarFilm. It's lighter and shrinks at a lower temp than the Towercote. I only have one roll of yellow. It's going to be real tight to get everything covered without running short.

And yes... I do use a stand sometimes while working..... They do help!

Steve
Old 03-10-2016, 10:27 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Still covering....

A little further.... The elevators have been covered and hinged with CA hinges.

The wing was covered with 4 pieces of covering... First the bottom, then the top, then tightened up.... Not sure why a single color takes me this long.... It doesn't get any easier. But even with 4 pieces, these were large areas to cover.

Then I started on the hatch/cockpit. I do not like the template for the windscreen. It's too big and too upright... Some more work is needed on that before glueing them in. Maybe you can see how much smaller and steeply raked the real windscreens are.

Steve
Old 03-13-2016, 03:47 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default I have an ARF!

I'm at the ARF stage finally! I think I'm done with the covering, other than maybe a black piece on the cowl.

The rudder was first covered with white Ultracote and a small piece of the yellow Solarfilm. The Ultracote is a little heavy, but very opaque.

Then I added some red Solite for the stripes. 3/4 of an inch wide was the perfect size.

Attached and hinged the rudder, added a few pieces of blue covering and done! Here's a couple of beauty shots of the fuselage just setting on the wing.

Still lots to do with the cockpit. The cowl has just been painted. Hopefully I'll be able to start installing the servos and hooking things up next week.

Steve
Old 03-13-2016, 03:55 AM
pd1
Still Learning

It looks great. Nice job.
I noticed you got the correct number of stripes on the rudder too.
Waiting for the first flight reports.

paul
Old 03-13-2016, 04:30 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Thanks Paul... I've been looking at lots of photos of the real plane and noticed they all had the same number of stripes...

Also... Today was the first time I've flown since Nov. Rather warm, very light winds but very overcast. I didn't have tons of time either, so I grabbed the Pocket Rocket and ran to the school yard. It is such a nice little sport plane! I had a ball with it again. Thanks for the design!

Steve
Old 03-13-2016, 07:46 PM
road king 97
old hat

Alot of free airplane dash boards and logos/ gauge clusters here but the site is a bit racey lol joe http://www.hobbyaeromodelismerc.com/logos-decalques/
Old 03-26-2016, 12:38 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default Pretty much done!

After much fiddling / tinkering / breaking... It's ready for a maiden. A couple of dumb things and questions along the way... The worst was stepping on the horizontal stab... I felt it and did not put my full weight on it, but I cracked some of the balsa.... Uncovered, glued, reinforced, re-covered. Then, checking the CG... I'm still tail heavy... About an ounce at the back of the extended motor mount puts it on the mark. This is at 25% cord, which is probably a little too foreword, but I'm sticking with the CG on the plans for the maiden.

And the most puzzling part... My motor seems to be a lower kv than advertised. I don't have a tach or a way to measure it, but I needed to go up to a 14x7 prop just to pull 550 watts. The specs on the motor and their prop data all say a 14x7 prop would pull a much more power. I was using a battery at storage charge, so I expect it to come up some.

The good news is that the AUW is 4 lbs 15 oz. So 500 watts should be OK for now.

Hopefully a maiden tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Steve

Last edited by Stevephoon; 03-26-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:44 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Looks great Steve. Hope weather cooperates tomorrow.

Paul
Old 03-27-2016, 03:30 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default She Flies!

Had a nice day at the field. This was the first time I made it out this year. Anyway, it was a good maiden. Not perfect by any means... A fair amount of right trim was needed and a little up. I'll need to look into the aileron trim when I get a chance. It could be an issue with the wing somewhere. There is also a little too much throw in all of the control surfaces. I can back off a hole in the mechanical connections on the ailerons and elevator. (I never went past mid rates because those were pretty aggressive.

With a fully changed battery, I was seeing about 750 watts (and 50 Amps) with the 14x7 prop. According to eCalc and MotoCalc, this is what I should expect with a 13x6.5 prop. I've attached the output from MotoCalc. There is clearance for the 14 in prop, so it's what was used for the maiden.

Also as I expected, I was seriously nose heavy. After experimenting over 4 flights, I 1st removed the weight then started scooting the battery back. It probably could go back even a little further, but I'm just happy to get rid of the dead weight.

By the 4th flight, I was rolling, looping and doing hammerhead turns... This is actually a nice sport plane that looks like a PT-19... Just as Nor-Cal advertised. Go figure!

I'm a happy camper
Steve!

After maiden and still in one piece!

This is how far back the battery ended up for the last flight. It seems about right to me.

Here's a very bad video of the 1st and second flights. The maiden part has the entire time the plane was in frame. (Very little) The second was taken via my phone, but somehow it was shut off not long after takeoff. You can see that the plane slows down well for landing and jumps into the air.

https://youtu.be/vz5gmYYCwwg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MotorCalcData.pdf (256.0 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Stevephoon; 03-28-2016 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:43 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Default More Photos!

We had a Fun Fly at my club and I got a couple of really nice photos of my plane. It really is a nice flying plane.

Steve
Old 07-18-2017, 03:43 AM
F22trainer

Very Nice - I might have to try one of those!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:05 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Very nice!