Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

How things change

Old 10-25-2018, 11:13 PM
Jack_Hammer
Veteran USAF

Default How things change

I haven't flown, handled a plane, TX or anything in about 14 years (long story short but think disability) back when I flew, 2.4 radios had just stolen the market and fast became popular. Setting aside my old crystal channel radio and the problems I encountered with it, I jumped on board the 2.4 craze and I loved it.

Despite being in the garage, the Florida humidity and years took their toll on everything. Carpenter ants and others have done their part while humidity did the rest. Nothing survived. So I'm starting from scratch!

Since I have no build equipment anymore, putting together a demon Zagi or Super Charged Super Fly (that thing would smoke and turn on a dime) there's no more soldering equipment except for solder) , no electrical components, not even a spare servo that didn't succumb to rust or bugs; and I didn't want to dump an years disability pay into putting shop back together. My old futaba 6ch wouldn't even function anymore.

So once again I had to spend time researching new radios, planes etc. MY HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED! The market, industry..... Drastically changed. What the h*ll is this FVP crap and why are people Praying to God almighty that the FAA won't wank them around? (there's no such thing as an unregulated right folks) I read and read,then read some more until I got sick of reading..... and read some more.

I found a nice plane comparable to Zagi (maybe a hint better?) Opterra 1.2m. I would have loved to get the 2m and I will in time. But I cut my flying teeth on the 48 inch Zagi so it's a good scale to stay with for now. It arrives tomorrow. I'm not sure if I will like the As 3 technology, but it will be a nice touch in launch mode. Other than that I can't see me using it so for the most part, even when hand launching I don't see much use for it.

Radios..... For my purposes, Spectrum Dx6e won my vote. Futaba has become a bit over priced but don't fit in with the standards of BNF market which seems to have gotten more and more popular. Not that futaba is bad or sub-standard....but for the popular BNF market it lags behind. Plus the dsmx and dsmx2 systems seems to be dominant. Both work well but the spectrum pricing seems to be winning over most folks including me.

My Spectrum arrived today along with the 1/2 inch thick manual, 46 pages in English.
Mother of cow patties what is all this stuff in the manual! What's with all these dern toggle switches etc! I want to fly a RC plane not an A380! (yes I do!)

I was hoping to be in the air this weekend but that definitely ain't happening until I master the nuances of the spectrum, which will probably take a week . I'm sure it will simple enough to BNF and set up for a wing, but I do not handle an Rx unless I know everything about and how to manipulate everything it offers. Ooopsie I accidentally flipped a switch and there ain't a ladder big enough to get my plane out of that tree.

My, how things have changed.

Last edited by Jack_Hammer; 10-25-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:02 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome back Jack! A lot has changed, glad you're getting back into the hobby. Wait till you start flying with brushless motors and lipos compared to those old speed 400's.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:18 AM
Jack_Hammer
Veteran USAF

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Welcome back Jack! A lot has changed, glad you're getting back into the hobby. Wait till you start flying with brushless motors and lipos compared to those old speed 400's.
Actually, brushless was all I've ever flown with, but they were more pricey back then.
Lipos a hair pricey though, but there wasn't a lot of cheap off brand knock offs either. It's the tx's that seem astoundingly more complex. Yeah we had expo and throw, trim but not much more. Flight ranges have also increase beyond ridiculous. Honestly who can see that dern far unless you've got a full scale

Last edited by Jack_Hammer; 10-26-2018 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:11 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Jack,

Don't sweat the Spektrum. It'll all make sense faster than you think.

I flew Futaba from the early 70's until I got the Spektrum module for my Futaba 9 CAP. (still have the 9C and a TON of 72mhz RX's) I'll never get rid of the 9C. In my area I have the entire 72mhz band all to myself now.

I got my DX6G2 back in early 2015. Programming is a bit different from Futaba but just as intuitive. Maybe a little more so. About a year ago I got a deal on a DX6e. It's pretty much the same as my DX6G2 but without the British chicks voice and a few other things I can live without. The Dx6e is the better buy in my opinion.

I would download the manual from Horizon and search for what you want using the computer. Leafing through all those pages could put you to sleep. Just play around with the menus. You'll get used to it very quickly.

Joe
Old 10-26-2018, 06:38 AM
Jack_Hammer
Veteran USAF

"you'll get used to it very quickly"

That's what they told about Obama (zinger)
Old 10-26-2018, 07:45 AM
Stick Dude

So what radio brand should I use for my electro stick, the new to me spectrum, or the oldie but a goodie futaba?
Old 10-26-2018, 08:54 AM
Jack_Hammer
Veteran USAF

I remember our younger days and the first series of trap questions my wife asked me (I wasn't as wise then, but it was the beginning of wisdom)

"Honey does this dress make my butt look big?"
No dear
"it does, I'm changing."
OK but we're supposed to be at the Christmas party in 15 minutes.
"does this one make my but look big?"
No, you look great, let's go.
"no, I'm changing
Sigh
" how about now, does this make my butt look big? "
(time for a change in tactics)
No honey but yer butt makes the dress look big. (stupid stupid stupid!)

I've still got the scars (of wisdom gained)

Originally Posted by Stick Dude View Post
So what radio brand should I use for my electro stick, the new to me spectrum, or the oldie but a goodie futaba?
My wife is a pro at spinning trap questions and I am a very seasoned veteran of dodging em. If she had asked me this question I would have said "Whichever works best for you (dear)" (ain't I a lil stinker)

Seriously though, eventually yer gonna have to get something as the old becomes obsolete. Until then, if it ain't broke..... Don't fix it.

Last edited by Jack_Hammer; 10-26-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:01 PM
smithdoor

When start all plane where made balsa wood by 1973 the first plastic almost ready to fly and foam planes. The first DC electric motors for RC planes FYI trying to building with under power motor and heavy low power battery was challenging

Dave

Last edited by smithdoor; 01-30-2019 at 05:27 PM.