Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Micro SD Cards ... losing them !

Old 12-16-2018, 07:14 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Micro SD Cards ... losing them !

I am getting fed up losing micro SD Cards !!

I lost a good card a while back and bought a replacement few days ago ... now I've lost THAT ONE AS WELL !!

Things lost this week :

32Gb Class 10 High Speed SD Card

2019 Diary ready for New Year

Tiny screw that closes the E33 Quads battery door

Carbon Blade Scissors for my model materials

That's just the ones I remember now ... !!

Getting old and losing it !! I now have to have 3 or 4 of each item so I can at least have a chance of finding one !! (We'll firget about having 4 wives !!)

Nigel
Old 12-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I know you have a laser printer. If you don't have a 3D printer yet my daughter bought one for her business and I've got it setup perfectly. I'm getting very successful at printing out Thingiverse designs on it. NO chance of me designing anything though!

Go to Thingiverse. Search for micro SD card and there are tons of files. Let me know what file works for you and I'll print it in white PLA. Reimburse me for nothing more than shipping and we're good. It's good practice for me.

Joe
Old 12-26-2018, 07:21 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
I know you have a laser printer. If you don't have a 3D printer yet my daughter bought one for her business and I've got it setup perfectly. I'm getting very successful at printing out Thingiverse designs on it. NO chance of me designing anything though!

Go to Thingiverse. Search for micro SD card and there are tons of files. Let me know what file works for you and I'll print it in white PLA. Reimburse me for nothing more than shipping and we're good. It's good practice for me.

Joe

Many thanks for offer ... but I have a 3D printer !

Like you - I am a Thingiverse scroller !! I can modify items - but not create.

Thing I realised one day and it works ...

If you want to have an extra part onto an existing item ... all you have to do is slightly overlap them and save as one without amalgamating ... they are still separate items - but the printer doesn't know that. It prints as one.

With regard to the SD Cards ... I don't actually need a card holder as they stay in the camera's ... its when I take them out and transfer files to PC ... I often have the card on the desk idle before putting back in camera ... ZAP - its vanished !! I reckon my arm brushes them off and away ...

Cheers
Nigel
Old 12-26-2018, 08:34 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Awesome. Wasn't sure you had a 3D printer.

For printing multiples I just load the .stl file into Cura 3.6. I click on the grid, then right click on "multiply selected model" or CTRL+M. I can then input how many of that file I want to print at one time and save it as a .gcode file. Right now there are 4 Xacto holders printing for my daughter. I've already printed 8 for myself. I'm loving this thing. She's talking about buying a GOOD laser printer and a 3D scanner. All equipment and printing will be done at my house. Once SHE learns CAD and comes up with her own designs she'll send me the files to print for her. There should be plenty of time to laser cut some airplane kits that I've always wanted. Wink wink.

Joe
Old 12-27-2018, 02:46 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Funny, I have 3 cameras and 3 pixhawks, all with micro sd cards and I have never lost any... yet. I usually download direct from the cameras though so there is less chance of losing them than if you have to remove them.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:35 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Agreed ... trouble is most of my transfers are at the max 4gb FAT limits and with multiple files - via cable from camera / SS3 / DJI will take too long.

I also like to edit movies direct card to program avoiding transfers and saving HDD space !

Its me that is the problem ... getting old !!

Nigel