Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

Hubsan FPV X4 Desire questions

Old 08-09-2017, 11:00 PM
nopeda

Question Hubsan FPV X4 Desire questions

Hi,

I just got a Hubsan FPV X4 Desire and it seemed to good to be true to be able to get a quad that has GPS, return home, follow me, and an LED screen right there on the controller so you can see before you video or photo for $140. Now it seems like it is too good to be true because they refer to the SD card in the manual, but there is no SD card. Also no sort of adapter or anything you can put it in to insert it into a computer. Can anyone tell me where to get a card, and whatever else is needed to make use of it?

Thank you for any help!
David
Old 08-10-2017, 01:26 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by nopeda View Post
Hi,

I just got a Hubsan FPV X4 Desire and it seemed to good to be true to be able to get a quad that has GPS, return home, follow me, and an LED screen right there on the controller so you can see before you video or photo for $140. Now it seems like it is too good to be true because they refer to the SD card in the manual, but there is no SD card. Also no sort of adapter or anything you can put it in to insert it into a computer. Can anyone tell me where to get a card, and whatever else is needed to make use of it?

Thank you for any help!
David
Unless you intend to record/transfer and retain video or stills, a micro SD card (4gb min.) is not needed. Besides, if you do intend to record (the card will need to be formatted), there will be no sound or ability to have DVR extension.......recording sessions on my buddies Hubsan 502s were average at best at 720 resolution. he looses video quality past 100' or 30meters.

As far as PC connection ports or ability to program through a PC, I'm afraid you are out of luck on the 502s model. everything is done through the provided TX. Hubsan does have models like the 502s that are PC programmable, but not anywhere near the price point you spent.

My buddy has found that Fat Shark FPV head sets are compatible with this unit. However, if you are interested, make sure you purchase the compatible unit that operates at 5.2gHz.........and do not expect any video to be HD quality with headset in operation.

Other than that, the little quad seems to function as advertised.....also, do not move to fast or make abrupt turns while in the "follow me" settings. It takes quite a bit of time for the GPS on this unit to cycle through the opertation......it could get lost and return to home without your input.....!
Old 08-10-2017, 03:23 AM
nopeda

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Unless you intend to record/transfer and retain video or stills, a micro SD card (4gb min.) is not needed. Besides, if you do intend to record (the card will need to be formatted), there will be no sound or ability to have DVR extension.......recording sessions on my buddies Hubsan 502s were average at best at 720 resolution. he looses video quality past 100' or 30meters.
I don't understand the situation at all then. It has FPV and the view screen and a switch to record photos and one to record videos but nothing to record them onto and no way to load them into a computer or anything? That doesn't seam right. So what am I missing entirely here? It doesn't tell you how to record in the manual but on page 8 it says:

"5.5 PHOTO/VIDEO

Insert the SD card into the quadcopter before using Photo/Video function.
Press the Photo button for 0.5 second to take photos.
Press the Video button for 0.5 second to take videos and press again to save the videos.

! Stop recording before the SD card is removed."

So... ??
Old 08-10-2017, 05:50 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Unlike many on board camera devices built into the multi-rotors which have a USB type socket/cable to down load the recorded data from the quad to a PC or other device, the 502s lacks that function.
It will only save the vid or still onto the micro SD card. You must then remove the SD card from the quad and plug it into your PC, tablet in order to play back.
The SD card must be formatted with a compatible play back video driver your PC or tablet will recognize.

I haven't spent much time with the TX it comes with, but I do not believe any of the flight vid's or stills are saved through that device. You are only able to view the live feed from the camera.

So, basically what the manual is stating....... you need a micro SD card installed in order for the Photo and Video buttons to function.......shame the kit did not come with a SD card or better instructions.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:01 AM
nopeda

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Unlike many on board camera devices built into the multi-rotors which have a USB type socket/cable to down load the recorded data from the quad to a PC or other device, the 502s lacks that function.
It will only save the vid or still onto the micro SD card. You must then remove the SD card from the quad and plug it into your PC, tablet in order to play back.
The SD card must be formatted with a compatible play back video driver your PC or tablet will recognize.

I haven't spent much time with the TX it comes with, but I do not believe any of the flight vid's or stills are saved through that device. You are only able to view the live feed from the camera.

So, basically what the manual is stating....... you need a micro SD card installed in order for the Photo and Video buttons to function.......shame the kit did not come with a SD card or better instructions.
It does seem shameful, so is there a reason why it doesn't? I'm sorry to be so totally ignorant but so far that's my position. We can buy those cards on ebay, but how to plug them into a computer? With the Syma X5C that has no headless or GPS they do include a little chip of some sort and also an adapter to plug it into a computer USB. It worked great with no formatting needed. How to proceed with this better machine that includes no card or adapter and needs to be formatted? I found the cards on ebay with adapters, but it doesn't look like anything that will work in my PC. Maybe for a phone or camera Is there an adapter for the adapter

Last edited by nopeda; 08-10-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:08 PM
formontoya

if does NOT have USB port you will insert the SD card so you can record pictures/video. afterwards when you are ready to transfer you will remove the SD card and insert it into your computer for download off SD card. I've yet to see a computer that did NOT have a slot for removable "card" media.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by nopeda View Post
It does seem shameful, so is there a reason why it doesn't? I'm sorry to be so totally ignorant but so far that's my position. We can buy those cards on ebay, but how to plug them into a computer? With the Syma X5C that has no headless or GPS they do include a little chip of some sort and also an adapter to plug it into a computer USB. It worked great with no formatting needed. How to proceed with this better machine that includes no card or adapter and needs to be formatted? I found the cards on ebay with adapters, but it doesn't look like anything that will work in my PC. Maybe for a phone or camera Is there an adapter for the adapter
Sounds like the "little chip...and adapter" the Syma came with, is the same thing that can be used with the Hubsan.

It is likely that card will format once you install it in the Hubsan.

As far as play back on the PC, the little chip fits into the adapter, the adapter then is slid into a slot either on the sides or back of a laptop. If you do not have a laptop, most desktop PC's have a built-in card slot either on the front or back of the case.....sometimes it may be "hidden" under a flip up cover.

Once you have inserted the card into the PC, an info message should pop-up on the screen and ask if you want to open the device. There are other methods to open the card data on the PC, but that's another discussion.

Now you need to open the card data, you may be asked (prompted) to decide which driver (format) or software you want to use to view the data.......AVI, WMV(Windows), GIF, MOV(Quick Time), MP3/4(MPEG) are the most common.

Since we do not know which version the Hubsan used to record the data (it may be one of the above), you may need to convert the data to one of the formats your PC has available.......most likely the format will be AVI.

For now. I would just save the data to a folder. The PC will save it in the format it was originally recorded, automatically.........you can format it (if needed) later......you may get lucky and just open the data and it will play back with the default format your PC recognizes........

As for video, photo quality and modifications.......that subject is for another time and place........wish you lot's of luck David.

Note....:

If your PC/laptop does not have a card slot. There are several external SD card reading devices on the market. Most have a USB cord attached......so you just put the card/adapter into the device and plug the cord into an available USB port on the PC.