Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Proud Papa moment - My Son is now a Lieutenant!

Old 12-17-2018, 06:51 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Default Proud Papa moment - My Son is now a Lieutenant!

A lot of you folks here know my Son. A lot of you have met and flown with him through the years at various events. He has not been to many the last 4 years due to other commitments but he still thinks of all of those we have met very fondly.

He started a journey oh so many years ago to follow in my footsteps and be a part of the USAF. He has gone above and beyond any of my wildest dreams already and he is just getting started. He wanted to fly but that hasn't worked out just yet. Still time for that though and he is hoping to be picked up soon. As of right now he will be going to Barksdale AFB Louisiana to be the southeast regional weather forecaster for all the Air Force bases in the area.

He spent 4 years with the Corp of Cadets and USAF ROTC at Virginia Tech and graduated Cum Lade with a degree in Meteorology with a minor in Leadership. He was commissioned at a ceremony Friday night in Blacksburg after graduating. My wife and I had the honor of pinning on his rank and then being retired I got to render his first salute.

He has been a man already for a long time but even after graduation I saw a boy still, then at commissioning I still saw a boy sitting in the first row waiting his turn. When we pinned him and I turn to stand and salute him something magical happened. Where a boy stood just seconds before now stood a man. A real man, proud tall and true.

This broken down crusty 'ol Sgt stood as tall as I could to salute the man he had become.

Yep, I am a proud Papa for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
graduated.jpg (53.3 KB, 43 views)
pinning.jpg (63.7 KB, 49 views)
salute.jpg (67.7 KB, 50 views)
new lt.jpg (45.9 KB, 302 views)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Awesome. Love to read about our military's future heroes and leaders. It is a big deal when you get the opportunity to witness ones legacy continue. You should be very proud, though I have never met your son and as a retired USAF vet I am proud as well. Congratulations, Lieutenant.
MSgt (RET) John Fisher
Old 12-18-2018, 11:30 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Congratulations Bill, Mason, and family.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:23 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Bill congrats to you the wife, and Mason all should be proud. Hard to believe it has been five years since I last saw you folks last. Time goes by fast!
Old 12-20-2018, 04:26 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by gramps2361 View Post
Bill congrats to you the wife, and Mason all should be proud. Hard to believe it has been five years since I last saw you folks last. Time goes by fast!
Time does seem to fly doesn't it. That was a fun trip that year. Great memories.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:53 AM
weathervane
Needs more LED's

OMG!!!!!! Congratulations.
This is awesome Bill. He has grown a lot sense the last time I saw him. He is a great young man and you should be proud. (As I know you are.)
Well done Mason.

-Andrew