Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Restoring my A4 Skyhawk

Old 06-25-2018, 11:02 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Default Restoring my A4 Skyhawk

A little over a week ago I attended Jet Jam near Louisville, KY on the Indiana side of the Ohio river. A great event at a spectacular flying site. Perhaps the best the US has to offer anywhere. http://www.rosewoodrc.com/

I actually flew from DFW to Louisville. My buddy, an event sponsor, drove his truck and trailer and ferried a couple of my planes, one of which was my 80mm Freewing Skyhawk.

The event went from Thursday till Sunday but I had to leave Saturday afternoon. So I got 2 days of great flying in. On Saturday, I got there early so could fly before heading back to the Airport at 1PM .

Took off and made a few circuits . No problems. But on my gear pass, right as I was turning base to final, the Sun glared straight in my eyes blinding me. Needless to say she went in. When I got to the crash site, spectators said she had landed nearly flat but hard. There she was. A mess. Broken in two pieces, twisted, compressed front section.

Then I thought. " It'll buff out !" Just like Nigel, I don't easily give up on damages, especially with foam. Packed her up and Andy from www.rcjetwerx.com got her back to Texas a few days later.

Broken fuse. Split, twisted, cracked, scuffed. LG ripped out, wires everywhere. Looked like she was in a streetfight

Fuse epoxied with skewers and back in one piece

Some fresh paint matched at Home Depot

Some new decals, fully assembled, and tested.

Now she's ready to rejoin the squadron after a few days in the repair depot( garage)

Cheers,

Hawk

Last edited by dahawk; 06-26-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:59 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Well done. I'm not sure that I would bother too much with a foamie myself. I have a T28 in the Barn that nosedived. Not all that bad, only a squashed nose and cowls are available but just don't have the inkling to fix it. It always flew well but I guess I have moved on.
I don't mind fixing a balsa one though. Most of my foamies are wings but I do have a rarely flown T45.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:38 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

It actually pleases me that my name comes up in the 'Resurrection game' !!

I really do find it hard to give up on a frame. I have various sitting there asking me to get started on new formers / strakes etc.

I do get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing a bag of bits fly again.

Well done Hawk !!

Nigel
Old 06-26-2018, 05:50 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Hawk looks awesome. May try some filler to mend that crack on the right where you had to glue up. Sand really well and with the paint match you'll be looking brand new.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:16 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Hey Fish,

Good point. I kind of like the crack. Adds to the patina - LOL It does serve as reminder to self that I split this girl in two.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:04 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ahh yes. Gives it some charctere
Old 06-28-2019, 05:42 AM
GBLynden

Great work! I hope I never had to do that to my new A-4, but it is nice to know it can be done
Old 07-25-2019, 10:16 PM
GBLynden

This is my Maiden Flight Review of the Freewing A-4 Skyhawk 80mm EDF Jet with a CG tip after the flight. Please excuse the crappy landing.