Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

Hobby King Warehouse Pick-UP

Old 09-25-2016, 05:45 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Default Hobby King Warehouse Pick-UP

As many of you may beware, HK does not operate walk-in retail outlets here in the U.S.......There are a few in other countries like the U.K. Australia, China, and Korea.....Rumor had been U.S. outlets would be established. However, that has not been the case based on HK (U.S) customer service advisories.

One must still order/purchase/pay on-line. Purchases made here in the U.S. can be picked-up at one warehouse location.

Western state location.....:

http://support.hobbyking.com/hc/en-u...se-Tualatin-OR-

Eastern state location has been discontinued....:

http://support.hobbyking.com/hc/en-u...house-Arkansas-

Only other Global locations....:

http://support.hobbyking.com/hc/en-u...Business-Hours-

Like many have discovered, even though an order may be placed on-line with the U.S. based warehouse affiliate, and items purchased indicate available in the U.S. and shipped from U.S...........50% of the time, the actual order is being filled/collected at both U.S. and China locations. Thus, the complete package is not shipped quickly (even if expedited shipping fees were paid) until the items have been collected together at the U.S. facility and then shipped.
If one gets lucky enough, HK may ship a partial U.S. available product first, and inform you, either by E-mail or (a note in the package), that the other items are "in transit" to be delivered by (you fill in the blank).....lol

A buddy of mine, who lives just outside of Tualatin, Oregon (Sherwood), placed an order through the US web-site, was told he could pick it up in Tualatin in 3 days. He got an E-mail confirmation stating order was ready for pick-up, only to discover when he got there, that (7 items ordered) 4 of which were still in transit from China..........it took an additional 6 weeks to completely fill the 7 item order.......he ultimately had 2 of the items (motors and esc) shipped postal to his residence.

What should have been a 4 hour build and fly ended up becoming an 8 week sit and wait....!
Old 09-25-2016, 05:50 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

FWIW, I've made numerous (like over 30) orders from both US warehouses for a large variety of items, and not once was anything shipped from China. Everything came USPS Priority within 5 days of ordering.

Of course, I made sure when placing the orders that nothing was on backorder (I refuse to buy anything from HK unless I know for sure there is stock on hand). In only one case did I order something that listed in stock, but turned out to be backordered. I had it removed from the order and purchased it later when it came back in stock.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:08 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

To be fair and transparent, another buddy who is associated with Hobby People in Redlands, CA., has had the same experience as you Pat..........being a franchise and having some flexibility regarding wholesale purchases made through various (approved supplier's)...!

Of course, paying close attention to the actual status of the HK product selection is absolutely priority one........the case I mention was carefully scrutinized.......not bashing HK, just beware that off-the-shelf "retail" purchases with HK, at times can be a crap-shoot......particularly the shipping costs and actual delivery times quoted.......
Old 09-25-2016, 06:53 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

What can happen is that when you order .... if the item is in short number ... you MAY be unlucky to confirm when last one is already out to another customer. This has happened to me a couple of times.
Basically - you see IN STOCK and add to basket ... but by time you Check-out ... the item is Out of Stock.

I do not believe that any item via US or other local Warehouse would be sold as local and then shipped from China ... same cannot be said for eBay though - which is common trick.
For Hobby King to even think about doing it would be a Death Sentence and probably subject to Legal Action in USA, EU etc.

Nigel
Old 09-25-2016, 08:39 PM
Vic Z

We were talking about the "warehouse pick up" at the LHS one day. Apparently HK had a warehouse in Lakewood, about 20 minutes from me and did customer pick up there. I don't know if it was over sales tax issues or what but they had to stop.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:31 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Vic, the building that they were in, was going to be torn down and replaced with a new one.
That has happened, I would believe the new building rents at a higher cost, otherwise why would Lakewood Industrial Park have done it. At one time in the past I worked on the building they were in.

But it would not surprise me at all, if WA state and HK were in some kind of sales tax fight.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:52 AM
Vic Z

Haha. This state is not particularly business friendly. I know that John at hobby town was glad to see them go.