Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

AC power source for charger?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Mike G
Do I hear the UPS truck?

Question AC power source for charger?

I just bought one of these, but it doesn't have an AC to DC power adapter. The input voltage is between 12 - 18 VDC. I have an old laptop power pack that is 19.5 VDC and 4.62 Amps.

Anyone know if using it would overload the charger? I'm having a hard time finding an adapter in the range called for.

Thanks -Mike
Old 02-07-2012, 06:11 PM
spad

Why not call Hitec, or simply buy a dc power supply? You have a fine device, so I'd buy a fine supply from someone like progressiverc.com.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I wouldn't recommend using the laptop supply, it may be 19.5 under load and a little more if not loaded.

Your charger can deliver 4 outputs of 5 amps so you need a supply that can handle 20 amps without overload, if you want to use it to the max.

I now of some people that have a car battery (the type with a handle) for use at the field, then at home, they simply hook it to an automatic battery charger. That way they have almost unlimited power

Many RC battery charger companys offer power supplys. Your LHS should be able to get them.

Make a google search for 12V dc power supplys and you will find more than you could ever want.

Or here is a page from HobbyKing,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Supply.html
Old 02-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Mike G
Do I hear the UPS truck?

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I wouldn't recommend using the laptop supply, it may be 19.5 under load and a little more if not loaded.

Your charger can deliver 4 outputs of 5 amps so you need a supply that can handle 20 amps without overload, if you want to use it to the max.

I now of some people that have a car battery (the type with a handle) for use at the field, then at home, they simply hook it to an automatic battery charger. That way they have almost unlimited power

Many RC battery charger companys offer power supplys. Your LHS should be able to get them.

Make a google search for 12V dc power supplys and you will find more than you could ever want.

Or here is a page from HobbyKing,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Supply.html
Good advice. I ordered a 14v 25a supply. Only downside is waiting for it to get here from overseas.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Can you cancel?

I feel this a MUCH better option IMHO:

He is in my club and a good guy plus US shipping...

http://feathermerchantrc.com/

Mike
Old 02-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Mike G
Do I hear the UPS truck?

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Can you cancel?

I feel this a MUCH better option IMHO:

He is in my club and a good guy plus US shipping...

http://feathermerchantrc.com/

Mike
The transaction is already processed, and you're probably right about the feathermerchantrc item being better. Oddly enough, I have a few power supplies like that in some old 2U IBM eservers at my house. It never dawned on me to look at the output voltage on them. I need slow down a bit (maybe a lot ).
Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Bummer - my last cheapo power supply from China quit after a couple of months. I am not a big fan of HK admittedly.

Those server supplies my friend sells are rated to last a VERY long time of continuous use. Of course they too are used but he stands behind them. And his prices are tough to beat. He uses two of the 12v for 24v on his Hyperion charger (it supports than input voltage) so he can go to 4-5c on some of his large packs. He really works them hard!

Mike
Old 02-08-2012, 04:08 PM
cliffh

I purchased one of the powersuppies from "feathermerchantrc" well over a year ago. It has been used a lot since my wife and I both fly electrics. It has also been used a lot at near maximum power and with no problems at all.

It looks like he might have had a few unused units at one time. I opened the case of mine to install a connector and there wasn't a speck of dust in there to be found.

Very nice units for the price.

Cliff
Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Mike G
Do I hear the UPS truck?

Bummer - my last cheapo power supply from China quit after a couple of months. I am not a big fan of HK admittedly.

Those server supplies my friend sells are rated to last a VERY long time of continuous use. Of course they too are used but he stands behind them. And his prices are tough to beat. He uses two of the 12v for 24v on his Hyperion charger (it supports than input voltage) so he can go to 4-5c on some of his large packs. He really works them hard!

Mike
Yeah, I'm not surprised. I still have a few servers with power supplies like what he's selling that have been running 24/7 for a few years. I've had a few go out, but none in the past two years.

My basement server farm:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1294.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	157107  
Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Holy crap! What you running a website/online gaming?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 PM
spad

Buy from Hongy Kongy and if you havea problem....
Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Yes, cobbling up a power supply from a computer is a great way to get a lot of 12V AC power for RC chargers.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ityrHaBLepg&feature=plcp&context=C33b2250U DOEgsToPDskICoDMDJXu642BIQ079XHp5[/media]

Now you can do the same thing for almost free! Gotta love that.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Mike G
Do I hear the UPS truck?

Holy crap! What you running a website/online gaming?
A few web sites and my home storage network. Those little space heaters are fine in the winter, but the cooling bill in August is ugly.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:02 PM
MX5Seeker
Glad to be here...

Rockin Robbins,

Great link to that video! I think I know where a few of those old power supplies are.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Mike G
Do I hear the UPS truck?

Originally Posted by spad View Post
Buy from Hongy Kongy and if you havea problem....
Well aware of that. I don't buy any big ticket items directly from there. I wouldn't buy any items from there if I could get them locally, but I can't.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:41 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Mike G View Post

I just bought one of these, but it doesn't have an AC to DC power adapter. The input voltage is between 12 - 18 VDC. I have an old laptop power pack that is 19.5 VDC and 4.62 Amps.

Anyone know if using it would overload the charger? I'm having a hard time finding an adapter in the range called for.

Thanks -Mike

If anyone wants brand new equipment, check out www.mpja.com, one of their power supplies is per below. Not cheap, but I've used more than a few of mpja power supplies. Most recent purchase from MPJA is a 24 VDC, 25 Amp unit that has the ability to vary its output voltage from about 5 VDC to 24 VDC. Unfortunately, mpja ran out of stock, and no longer has them.

http://www.mpja.com/12V-125A-Din-Rai...info/17895+PS/
Old 02-09-2012, 04:36 AM
MX5Seeker
Glad to be here...

I have noticed a lot of cross over between electric RC and HAM radio. Anderson PowerPoles for example. Would a power supply like this, for HAM radios, work?

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...tid=MFJ-4235MV
Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by MX5Seeker View Post
I have noticed a lot of cross over between electric RC and HAM radio. Anderson PowerPoles for example. Would a power supply like this, for HAM radios, work?

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...tid=MFJ-4235MV
Yes, that would work out well. But you're paying for the ability to vary its output voltage, something not needed for our 12 VDC source power for the model battery chargers.

Check out www.jameco.com for this unit:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...001_2094928_-1

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c121/p122.pdf

Or a 12 Volt, 50 Amp unit!
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...gDrillDownView
Old 02-09-2012, 01:11 PM
MX5Seeker
Glad to be here...

Thanks Dennis! I actually have one of these in 25 amp that I no longer use for my HAM radios. It developed a high pitch hum that was distracting. Never could find out where it was coming from. But for this use, it would be fine. Looks like I have a power supply now.

Last edited by MX5Seeker; 02-09-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: To change "watt" to "amp".
Old 03-04-2012, 03:19 AM
DSW

I have recently been building 12v and 24v, 75a (900w) power supplies. I have several of them listed on other RC forums.

Last edited by DSW; 03-19-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by DSW View Post
I have recently been building 12v and 24v, 75a (900w) power supplies. I have several of them listed on other RC forums.
75 Amps? That's some real power supply horsepower.

Which other RC forums?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post

Which other RC forums?
It's pretty easy to get that sort of output from server power supplies. Some of the latest ones will probably do 75A in a single unit but even if you use cheap and readily available supplies like the DPS-600PB you get 47A on the 12v rail, and could easily pair up in parallel to get 94A at 12V or like i have done connect in series to get 24V @ 47A.. Or if you are a power junkie get four units and have 24V @ 94A.

These server PSU's are so cheap you can afford to go over the top.

The general 'How to convert server power supplies' thread on RCG: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

and one specific to converting the DPS-600PB: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=600pb

If you just want 12v output then you can have a server PSU converted literally in a few minutes (just a matter of shorting 3 pins to turn it on). If you want 24V series output then there is a little more work but not a lot. If you want to get all fancy you can have adjustable voltage up to 13.8v per PSU but I've found they run more stable at high amps if you leave the PSU at the default 12V.

Steve
Old 03-04-2012, 01:35 PM
DSW

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post

Which other RC forums?
Same user name "DSW"

RunRyder
RC Universe
RC Group

Thanks for asking.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:16 AM
DSW

Tested one of the PS I have yesterday, charging two 5S 4600.
The charger was pulling about 19amps from the PS. It got a bit warm, but seemd to handle it OK. My next test will be to run two chargers to ramp up the load on the PS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12v P1010012.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	158184  
Old 03-15-2012, 02:37 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Heck, I bit the bullet and got a 350watt PS from Progressiverc.com to go with my I charger 206. Have not regretted

Quick Reply: AC power source for charger?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14988 seconds with 12 queries