Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

E-Flite Carbon-Z T-28 Trojan

Old 09-24-2015, 05:15 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Default E-Flite Carbon-Z T-28 Trojan

Got a call last night from a flying bud who just received the new Carbon-Z Trojan........

http://www.horizonhobby.com/carbon-z...nology-efl1350

Helped him assemble and dial in his DX7. Nothing extreme, just adjusted the expo and dual rates a little and set-up flap trigger. May have to play with travel adjustments since it is an AS3X and we are both a little new to that system.

It's huge, over 6' wing span. we had to assemble it in his den, on the floor.....lol. Good thing he owns an SUV, wing and harness assembly will be a remove and install routine every trip.

First impressions of the material and flight control equipment quality were...:

Foam is very unique and seems quite strong.
Factory assembly was a little disappointing, many screwed attachments needed a few turns of tightness.
Surface control hinges and clovis assemblies are not of the quality expected for a $600.00 purchase. Will need to keep an eye on these.
Gear assemblies like steering arm and cogs are about the same quality as the stock Parkzone T-28.
Battery compartment and wiring harness storage has plenty of room (it takes a 6s lipo), needed to adjust esc location some for cleaner fit.
Buddy is considering a different type of landing wheel tire, stock ones look and feel fragile (we fly off grass occasionally). Size is an issue due to retracts.
Buddy is considering a separate esc/bec system. Stock is a 70amp switch mode, this system cries out for separate voltage regulation.

Other than that, everything went together well, all surface controls operated as expected, flaps and retracts engaged smoothly and programming was not to brain teasing (we both are still learning short cuts to the process on AS3X).

Maiden flight will be this weekend, at our home AMA field at Norton AFB..........we'll most likely get a "bump up" the flight line, all the older members love to watch maidens and it gives them something to chat about all day (if the sh..t hits the fan).......lol

Will report back.....!

Last edited by pizzano; 09-24-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:29 AM
Porcia83

You are going to love it. I maidened one a few weeks back. Not a power machine, but more than enough to tool around in and do some mild tricks. The nose wheel servo was DOA and was replaced, took 3 tries to get the thing bound correctly. I had 6 cell 30C packs that were flown for 5 minutes with only a few bursts of power and the battery was a tad warm. I'll be moving up to 40 or even 60-90C ones from Chinahobbyline.

It is HUGE in the air, looks and sounds great coming across for a show pass. Cannot believe how this thing slowed down and crept in to land. Made me look like I knew what I was doing, dead center line every time, at half flap no less.

There are some folks having issues with "brownouts" and crashes. They note problems with the gear drawing to many amps and overloading the esc, we saw nothing of that. Also, some of the guys said the flap arm was catching on the edge of the cover, again, we could not replicate that. We are considering a MR Sound card, as well as landing gear lights...we'll see.

Not an inexpensive plane, but overall great value for the money IMO. It was on sale at the NEAT fair for $500.00, I passed. Carbon Z Cub was down to 300, BNF.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:30 AM
Porcia83

Oh...this is made by FMS.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:39 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post
Oh...this is made by FMS.
Ya....we figured that out after spending some time scratching our heads wondering why the quality was not up to par with the Parkzone T-28 we both own........

At lunch today, I surfed the web sites to get a feel on the feed back.....of course RCG had the most threads.........seems some of our observations rang true with other Carbon-Z owners. Tonight we will give her another round of inspections and re-check fit & finish aspects related to retract and surface control items we had originally suspected.

We'll wait on esc/bec mod's after maiden, my bud bought two more 60c 6s lipos today.....damn they're expensive, even at the discount he gets as a shop owner.

I don't plan on being behind the sticks until we get her really dialed in.....and I loaned my field camera to my son this past weekend......I'll try my cheapie if time permits........."It is HUGE in the air"........ya, it's huge on the floor in a very large den too.........
Old 09-25-2015, 02:56 AM
Porcia83

I think the plane has the look and feel of an E-Flite model, I think the compromise was in the electronics and landing gear. I think all are fine, of course there will be some glitches with a first model production, but this is still a one of a kind, I don't know anything close to this in terms of size and what you get for the price. Again, not cheap, but I think it would have been another $100.00 easy for Eflite gear. That would have put it at 669 or more, and at that price point, I don't think it would have sold.

I suspect folks will swap out the esc (Talons seem to be the go to now), and probably a motor, and def a BEC
Old 09-25-2015, 08:51 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Just want to pass on an FYI. I read over at RCG to watch out for the flap hinges. I read about one that separated in flight. They said the hinges aren't really good for bi surfaces.

Looks like fun though. Enjoy!
Old 09-27-2015, 07:00 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

We made it out to the field a little later than we anticipated yesterday, after 9:00am............flight line and prep stations were full......lol

All was fine, gave us time to get the Trojan together and ROG around the paved open space next to the runway. Had a little trouble with turning issues, required a few adjustments to the rudder and steering arm linkage.

After about an hour, the handful of regulars there gave us clearance. Our's was one of two larger craft there, the other was an older gasser bipe. Never saw it in the air, but it sounded awesome, he was having throttle issues.

Anyway, my bud got her up in the air seamlessly, breeze was about 3mph, perfect for the first lift. Once up, about two mistakes high (she's very big in the sky at that height), a little elevator adjustment was needed. Seems the c/g was a bit tail heavy. Five long course rotations and time to land. Since the runway is very long here, Steven (my bud) decided to bring her down without the aid of flaps. The combination of the nice head breeze and slower than expected glide speed, the Carbon X retracts engaged, the touch down was a one bump and roll. The speed was manageable, but he used more runway than he liked.....flight time just over 5min.

We checked over all the hinges and adjusted the battery further forward, nothing to report as far as equipment issues. The battery and esc were just warm......and she ROG'd back to us without a problem.

Second flight went well, she's not a speedster, but does handle rolls, knife edges and loops quite well with lots of throttle and planned rudder command. Flies quite well without to much rudder, ailerons seem secure enough that a novice with experience would not feel uncomfortable just cruising around with wide turns.........thanks to the AS3X.
We had programmed a little Expo......Steven thinks it's not necessary unless you care to fly her with a little more advanced settings......which he will do next time out. Only made two flights on this outing.

The second flight landing was surprising, (even though we had read the flaps slow her down instantly), Steven had started his decent fairly high and gave himself lot's of distance, more than he realized she would need................good thing, since he decided to abort that approach due to lack of touch down area under him when she started to basically drop out of the air......lol.......second pass was lower and shorter, she glides so slow with flaps, I could have walked under her and cradled it.......lol........the landing was very very smooth.

All and all, this big foamie flies awesome..............after second flight post check-up, everything looked good, no issues with gear binding. surface control failures, hinge separation, or battery/esc overheating.........since we had did a good job of prepping her and did not push her hard (the stock set-up that will take some effort with AX3S), for the money (a bit over priced), but as others have stated, the uniqueness and flying fun may be worth it over time.

Since I did not fly her and there were no mishaps.......the club guys watching had little to say other than "she sure is a big piece of foam".......LOL............I'll get my chance on the sticks next trip out......sorry, no photos. part of the reason we were late to the field, I could not find my cheapie palm camera.....seems my son took that with him on his visit last weekend.......now he has both of my cameras.........

Last edited by pizzano; 09-27-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:06 PM
Porcia83

Ya, it's nice on the landings, but I think what happens to some people is they get complacent on the approach and see how slow it goes, and depending on their perspective, let the plane stall. It WILL stall without much wing rock or mushy feel on the sticks if you're looking at the plane in some views. I did two or three approach higher up to see those characteristics and had the same thing happen to me, but much higher up. I came in with about 20% throttle and that seems to do the trick.

Thanks for your write up, good stuff.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:29 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Thanks for the feedback Porcia...........Steven and I were to busy today to get another trip in. It may be a couple of weeks before we give it another go. I neglected to mention that I brought along my PZ T-28. Both of us took turns tossing her around yesterday after the Carbon X maidens........Steven feels the big boy is as predictable as the PZ and easier to land slowly.........That's good news to me since I've never flown anything larger than a 60" wing span.....lol.

I'm going to spend sometime playing with the deflection and rate settings on the DX7.......since the AS3X has more than one mode to try, and Steven prefers more manual input and less "comfort"........we'll see what can be accomplished. Just hope the AS3X does not restrict the intent without adjusting the surface controls to extreme........which will make it a handful for me to fly......lol
Old 09-10-2016, 09:29 PM
91bird

With the wheels up, how tall is the plane? Looks like the rudder is the tallest piece.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:55 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Okay good people,

Besides Rocketsled666 who I know is going to say NOT to install any more additional items to make the Retracts work better because one is adding more stuff to fail (failure points), I am wondering what the REST of you OUT there have experienced with these Electric Retracts by E-Flite?

WHY?

Because at the start of initial activation of my Model the Main Retracts will NOT come DOWN so, I can taxi this large & heavy model. Yes, I store this model with GEAR-UP. I would have to disconnect the NOSE Wheel Retract in order to get the MAINS DOWN and then, Disconnect the MAINS and reconnect the NOSE retract so, ALL gears would be in the GEAR-DOWN position.

Not only is this a Hassle but, unnerving from a stand point of flying this model and placing the Retracts in GEAR-UP position as I am NOT certain if they will come back down:censored:

I have the NOSE Retract and the Mains in a Y-Connector and the Output plug towards the Receiver so, NO separate Battery configuration as of yet.

My QUESTION "IS" does anyone have experienced this issue and if so, how did you solve it?

A Video that I recorded today but, as you can see ALL Operated like it should!

TIA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHhC...ature=youtu.be