Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Horten Bros Ho-229...in "Five Easy Piece"

Old 10-09-2019, 01:07 PM
ROCKETCHRIS

I just built the 5EZP PAK BAT FA FSW and would also like to build the Horton 229 at 80 percent to fit in my small car. If you don't mind me asking , where is the CG pount on the 5EZP Horton 229 ?
Old 10-09-2019, 03:31 PM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

My apologies.
I failed to label the location.

However, If you look along the leading edge of the wing pattern there is a triangular notch which marks the CoG.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:17 PM
ROCKETCHRIS

Thank You Sir ! I'm cutting the parts for your YF 60 right now and my next project will be the 229 Horton wing. You got me so interested in the Horton 229 that Iactually looked up the history of the Hortons. It's quite funny how they came to exist as a company. Thanks for making me think !
Old 10-27-2019, 09:30 PM
ROCKETCHRIS

After watching Mr Daeronort's videos and researching the HO 3, 4 and 5 gliders , I cant resist building the 5eZP Horton 229 flying wing at 80% 48". I started my build yesterday using Lowes green fan fold foam and Hobby Looby 30 a 40 foam board. I waiting for a box of model plane foam to arrive. So far I've cut the two wing halves and joined them together . I also fiberglassed (cloth and resin) the rear v shape portion of the wing for strength and to prevent warping. I will post some photos as soon as possible.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:48 AM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

Originally Posted by ROCKETCHRIS View Post
After watching Mr Daeronort's videos and researching the HO 3, 4 and 5 gliders , I cant resist building the 5eZP Horton 229 flying wing at 80% 48". I started my build yesterday using Lowes green fan fold foam and Hobby Looby 30 a 40 foam board. I waiting for a box of model plane foam to arrive. So far I've cut the two wing halves and joined them together . I also fiberglassed (cloth and resin) the rear v shape portion of the wing for strength and to prevent warping. I will post some photos as soon as possible.
I place a length of control rod metal in the tail joint for stiffness and to allow me to add trim.
On my current model i added carbon rod to the edges of the tail to stiffen it.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:56 AM
ROCKETCHRIS

Default Thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by Bobdaeronort View Post
I place a length of control rod metal in the tail joint for stiffness and to allow me to add trim.
On my current model i added carbon rod to the edges of the tail to stiffen it.
Thanks for the tip Mr. Daeronort for the tip/ I will take your advice and add carbon fiber (in a truss pattern ?) in the tail. I will add wire as well. After reading your previous post , I think I will use my joined wing halves as a new pattern to create a new one piece foam wing to try and avoid those warping problems from forced joining you warned us about. It should work since the fan fold is 48" long and my wing would be 48" long. Thanks !
Old 11-01-2019, 02:34 AM
ROCKETCHRIS

Default NEW BUILD PICS 80% (42" wing span) HORTON WING

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jkl...ew?usp=sharing

First I used the paper plan pattern to create two wing halves out of cheap Hobby Lobby foam and joined them together with hot glue to create a "whole wing pattern so I could avoid the warping of the two wing halves that Mr. Daeronort cautioned about in his video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KUP...ew?usp=sharing

Next I used the whole wing white foam pattern shown in the first picture above and some Lowes green Fan Fold Foam 24" x 48" x
5 mm to create a the final one piece wing for the Horton 229. As you can see in this photo , I also beveled and cut out the elevons and used straping tape to hinge them. Next I cut out and epoxied the top pair of KFm4 airfoils.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tm5...ew?usp=sharing

In this photo , I installed a 3mm carbon rod truss pattern in the tail on the wing bottom to keep the tail from warping ( I hope !)
Also I installed a 6mm carbon arrow shaft just forward of the motor slot per the plan (I'm out of 5 mm carbon rod). Also you can see I hot glued 1/4" diameter hard wood dowels to the leading edge of the wing after installing the botom pair of KFm4 airfoils. Also, I beveled the leading edge of the wing down to the surface of the dowels on both sides of the wing. I will post more photos as work progresses.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:46 AM
ROCKETCHRIS

Default Correction wing is 80% of full plan or 48" wing span

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jkl...ew?usp=sharing

First I used the paper plan pattern to create two wing halves out of cheap Hobby Lobby foam and joined them together with hot glue to create a "whole wing pattern so I could avoid the warping of the two wing halves that Mr. Daeronort cautioned about in his video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KUP...ew?usp=sharing

Next I used the whole wing white foam pattern shown in the first picture above and some Lowes green Fan Fold Foam 24" x 48" x
5 mm to create a the final one piece wing for the Horton 229. As you can see in this photo , I also beveled and cut out the elevons and used straping tape to hinge them. Next I cut out and epoxied the top pair of KFm4 airfoils.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tm5...ew?usp=sharing

In this photo , I installed a 3mm carbon rod truss pattern in the tail on the wing bottom to keep the tail from warping ( I hope !)
Also I installed a 6mm carbon arrow shaft just forward of the motor slot per the plan (I'm out of 5 mm carbon rod). Also you can see I hot glued 1/4" diameter hard wood dowels to the leading edge of the wing after installing the botom pair of KFm4 airfoils. Also, I beveled the leading edge of the wing down to the surface of the dowels on both sides of the wing. I will post more photos as work progresses.
Correction Should read 48" wing span or 80% OF original 5EZP plan.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:40 AM
ROCKETCHRIS

Default Horton Upper Canopy Construction.

Cut out both upper canopy pieces out of dollar tree foam without paper (It is flexible) and attached to the upper wing with t pins. Then I hot glued the canopy to the wing and the canopy center seam. Note the wing leading edge airfoil has been shaped , sanded and strapping taped . I will post more pictures as work continues.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Horton Canopy.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	187690  
Old 11-02-2019, 03:55 AM
ROCKETCHRIS

I ordered a Grayson Hobbies Super Mega Jet V2 , Grayson Hobbies 50 amp ESC with ST60 Connector already attached and a 4channel Spektrum receiver that will comprise the power / radio system of the Horton wing. I plan on using a Luminer 2250 30 c battery too. Also I will use 2 - 9 gram Miuzei servos for the elevons that I already have on hand.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:52 AM
ROCKETCHRIS

Default More Consruction Photos Of 48" HO 229

The first and second photo show the keel construction on the wing bottom . Notice i did not use score and fold , but rather kept the wing intact so I could have a rigid, flat ,true surface to build from. I cut out the 2 keel pieces and glued the outer edges in place aligning the front leading edge of each keel piece to the leading edge of the wing with t pins. Next I had to create a rectangular 3/4" wide foam piece to act as a former to create he keel shape. I used this rectangular former piece and inserted it from the rear end of the keel to elevate the keel side pieces and create a place to glue the ventral pan to. I found the keel construction to be the hardest part of the build.

The other photos show the installation of the twin ventral vertical stabilizers and nacelle pieces. There are four score and fold separate surfaces that comprise the ventral vertical stabilizers and the nacelles. Simply put, I cut them all out separately , beveled and sanded them to my preference and then attached them to the wing and or canopy individually with contact glue and t pins one at a time.I did not use the score and fold method.

The last photo shows the finished upper center section of the bird. While I'm waiting for the motor and ESC to arrive , I will work on servo installation and paint . More photos will follow.

Name:	20191103_153338.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	596.5 KB
ID:	187693   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191104_152745.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	187694   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191104_165027.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	681.0 KB
ID:	187695   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191105_162030.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	749.8 KB
ID:	187696  
Old 11-06-2019, 01:59 AM
Bobdaeronort
Bobdaeronort

I ordered a Grayson Hobbies Super Mega Jet V2 , Grayson Hobbies 50 amp ESC with ST60 Connector already attached and a 4channel Spektrum receiver that will comprise the power / radio system of the Horton wing. I plan on using a Luminer 2250 30 c battery too. Also I will use 2 - 9 gram Miuzei servos for the elevons that I already have on hand.
Don't forget the "V-Tail Mixer".
Old 11-09-2019, 05:09 PM
ROCKETCHRIS

Default Question about wing dihedral

Originally Posted by Bobdaeronort View Post
Hi Mr. Daeronort :

In one of your videos , I remember you saying that you added dihedral to the Horton wing. If you did, may I ask how you accomplished it and how much angle was used ? My current 48" ws HO 229 I'm working on has no dihedral in the wing , but I'm already thinking about doing a second one at 60" wing span. Thanks in advance for any information you might have.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:21 PM
ROCKETCHRIS

Default More Progress on 48" Ws HO 229

These are the photos of recent progress. My son and I installed the elevon servos. and control rods and control horns. The gear we are using is Grayson Hobbies Super Mega Jet V2 motor, Grayson Hobbies 50 amp ESC with HT60 connector already installed, Spectrum 4 channel receiver, Spektrum 6 channel radio (We don't use a separate V tail mixer because our particular radio will let us program elevons directly) and luminar 2250 3s battery. We are using hand brushed , acrylic (Apple Barrel paint we bought from WalMart. More photos will follow as we progress with the build. I've included a photo of the RCPOWERS style plywood motor mount we will use. i usually cut these by hand with a sabre saw , but I bought this one for 43.00 dollars from Grayson Hobby because I don't like cutting them very much.

Name:	ho229 servo installation.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	187713   Click image for larger version

Name:	ho-229 painting in progress.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	187714   Click image for larger version

Name:	ho229 radio,esc,motor, receiver, motor mount.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	187715  
Old 11-12-2019, 09:31 PM
ROCKETCHRIS

r, thats $3.00 dollars for the plywood motor mount , not 43 dollars.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Thought that was a bit much to pay for a motor mount Chris, for $43 it should be gold plated.
Plane is coming along nicely.
Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM
ROCKETCHRIS

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Thought that was a bit much to pay for a motor mount Chris, for $43 it should be gold plated.
Plane is coming along nicely.
Thanks Don. I need to go buy a 6x5.5 prop so I can install the motor and motor mount all in one piece.