Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Reload this Page >

And this is why we can't have nice things... Another Drone moron

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

And this is why we can't have nice things... Another Drone moron

Old 12-21-2015, 05:29 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Default And this is why we can't have nice things... Another Drone moron

So Mason and I was out on the roof putting some more lights up this afternoon and I keep hearing that all to familiar sound of a DJI quad somewhere nearby.

I finally get an eyeball on where he is and I estimate he is around 200 to 300 ft up hovering and obviously flying FPV the way he was moving around.

We then I hear a full scale twin heading in to the nearby airport and notice he is headed in that general direction of where the drone is. Fully expecting the drone to bug out, or at least I had hoped he would anyway, lo and behold he does just the opposite and heads in the direction of the full scale plane.

It was hard to judge how close they were but with the full scale on approach on his base leg he was pretty low as well getting ready to turn on final.

I was on the roof so was not able to get a picture of the two in the very close proximity that I observed.

I only hope the pilot of the full scale did not see and report him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
near miss.JPG (149.3 KB, 625 views)
Old 12-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Another Dumbonian.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Bald Paul

He just wanted to get the stupidity out of his system before he had to register with the FAA today.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:46 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I know you are joking Paul but the sad part is is idiots like that will not register. I would be willing to bet money he hasn't even heard of this registering thing and if he had he wouldn't care.

More than likely down the road when I am registered, and something like this happens with him again, they will come knocking on my door... let that one sink in for a minute.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:19 PM
suresharp

I think you are right. I feel 90 % will not register they are not in clubs or on a informed forum.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:03 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
So Mason and I was out on the roof putting some more lights up this afternoon and I keep hearing that all to familiar sound of a DJI quad somewhere nearby.

I finally get an eyeball on where he is and I estimate he is around 200 to 300 ft up hovering and obviously flying FPV the way he was moving around.

We then I hear a full scale twin heading in to the nearby airport and notice he is headed in that general direction of where the drone is. Fully expecting the drone to bug out, or at least I had hoped he would anyway, lo and behold he does just the opposite and heads in the direction of the full scale plane.

It was hard to judge how close they were but with the full scale on approach on his base leg he was pretty low as well getting ready to turn on final.

I was on the roof so was not able to get a picture of the two in the very close proximity that I observed.

I only hope the pilot of the full scale did not see and report him.
YOU should have reported him. Or at least given him a new anus for Christmas. If we are ever going to get the FAA off of our keesters we are going to have to prove to them that we are at least capable of self regulation.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:07 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Unfortunately we've already been proven to NOT be capable of self regulation.

Especially since I reported a turbine model dealer and maker for blatant disregard of the AMA turbine waiver rules... and was told to shut up by the AMA.
And I reported another "special person" for gross violations of the >55 waiver rules and was told to shut up.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:25 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
YOU should have reported him. Or at least given him a new anus for Christmas. If we are ever going to get the FAA off of our keesters we are going to have to prove to them that we are at least capable of self regulation.
How could I have reported him other than to say there was a drone flying nearby. There was no way to tell where he was flying from? That is going to be the big problem I suppose.

I agree though, probably should have at least said what I saw. But then again, once I am registered they will use that database to look for "know users" in the area.

Kind of like when a child is molested the first thing they do is look at the SOR for perps in the area.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:42 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Unfortunately we've already been proven to NOT be capable of self regulation.

Especially since I reported a turbine model dealer and maker for blatant disregard of the AMA turbine waiver rules... and was told to shut up by the AMA.
And I reported another "special person" for gross violations of the >55 waiver rules and was told to shut up.

What you ran into is a result of the fact that the AMA has NO (as in zero) enforcement authority at all in any way in any area for any reason. They are an insurance company - not the police.

If you check very carefully, you will find that the AMA has no "Report safety violations" form and no department and no person you can call to report a safety violation to.

The only ones who can enforce the safety "guidelines" are the officers in the club that is having the event or allowing the persons to fly. Even then, the only thing the club can do is eject the member from the field. If the field is on public property, they cant even do that. They also cant get him kicked out of the AMA. No one can.

The AMA doesn't kick anyone out ever for any reason - unless you have not paid you dues. Same thing for clubs. Your club can't get kicked out of the AMA or loose its charter - even if they don't follow any of the rules - as long as the dues are paid.

The only thing even close to a regulatory power the AMA has is in the form of being able to refuse to pay a claim if there is an accident. However, if you read the insurance terms and conditions very carefully you will find no mention of the safety code or turbine waivers or anything else.

If you are flying a giant scale model in a public park and doing everything you can think of to violate the safety code - and have an accident - the AMA will still pay as long as you have not broken any laws or violated some of the few exceptions they have in the insurance docs.

I realize that that is NOT what most people think when they think of the AMA. When I first joined, I was told the AMA had absolute power over my ability to fly models and that I could/would get kicked out of the AMA for safety violations AND that the club could easily loose its charter if I didn't behave.

Most members think that's how it is, but its just not the case.

Telling you to shut up without explaining that to you properly is not right though. Just not right.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

How could I have reported him other than to say there was a drone flying nearby. There was no way to tell where he was flying from? That is going to be the big problem I suppose.

I agree though, probably should have at least said what I saw. But then again, once I am registered they will use that database to look for "know users" in the area.

Kind of like when a child is molested the first thing they do is look at the SOR for perps in the area.
Next time, maybe keep an eye on the model until it returns to home. You might get lucky and be able to tell where the jerk lives and pass that along. They generally cant fly all that long before they need to go back home.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Bald Paul

I know you are joking Paul but the sad part is is idiots like that will not register. I would be willing to bet money he hasn't even heard of this registering thing and if he had he wouldn't care.

More than likely down the road when I am registered, and something like this happens with him again, they will come knocking on my door... let that one sink in for a minute.

"Yes, the sarcasm is strong in this one" - Yoda

I was all set to register this morning, but now the AMA is asking me to hold off. I'm afraid they're going to lose the fight, and all it's going to end up doing is costing me five bucks when the "free" period ends.

You are absolutely correct, though. Guys like this won't register, even if they know they are supposed to. Flying FPV means you can be far enough away from your craft that your chances of being 'caught in the act' are minimal. Personally, I hate the whole FPV craze - just my opinion. Having some jerk flying a FPV quad WAY out of bounds at Nall this year (right over the heads of those walking along the path) didn't exactly help. This guy was an AMA member, too, but his excuse was that he was a "really good pilot". (I've since heard he's been banned from Triple Tree.)

I don't own any multirotors, so if one is involved in an incident in the future and they come looking for me, all they are going to get is a lecture about the foolishness of the FAA ruling.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:48 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Next time, maybe keep an eye on the model until it returns to home. You might get lucky and be able to tell where the jerk lives and pass that along. They generally cant fly all that long before they need to go back home.
I was thinking the same thing Larry. If I wouldn't have been on the roof already tangled up in Christmas lights (insert Chevy Chase references) I may have done it then...

If he gets close enough we'll see how a DJI reacts to rock salt...
Old 12-21-2015, 05:10 PM
formontoya

yea, and over the weekend I was at CVS and there was a "lost" poster of a DJI quad with a reward for the return...

I thought those had a GPS locator to find when lost like that...for the price of one anyway.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:15 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by formontoya View Post
yea, and over the weekend I was at CVS and there was a "lost" poster of a DJI quad with a reward for the return...

I thought those had a GPS locator to find when lost like that...for the price of one anyway.
Going to see a lot more of that after Christmas! These morons will not care to read the instructions and there will be a ton of fly aways I bet.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:27 PM
formontoya

might be a good time to pick up a "lost" DJI Phantom then...
Old 12-21-2015, 07:20 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

The more the "negatives" are broadcast, the more it will encourage the idiots and those who will continue to beat down UAV, and raise hell..........I, for one, have certainly heard and seen enough negative sensationalism........!

Really, time to move onto the positives and put more "energy" into sorting out the "impacts" rather than harping on "Here's another idiot hurting the hobby" aspects........
Old 12-21-2015, 07:22 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
The more the "negatives" are broadcast, the more it will encourage the idiots and those who will continue to beat down UAV, and raise hell..........I, for one, have certainly heard and seen enough negative sensationalism........!

Really, time to move onto the positives and put more "energy" into sorting out the "impacts" rather than harping on "Here's another idiot hurting the hobby" aspects........
OK, so what would you do in this case then?
Old 12-21-2015, 07:23 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I like the new solution that is being tested in Tokyo....

Old 12-21-2015, 07:25 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I'll take that job!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:33 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

OK, so what would you do in this case then?
What I've been doing for the past two years, working with the commercial UAV guys to educate, monitor and report..........at the makeshift airfields (school yards, open fields and neighborhoods) where the culprits congregate.........and spend as little time I have, sitting on web forums responding to "sensationalism" at all hours of the day............
Old 12-21-2015, 07:42 PM
abborgogna

This is why we must turn these people in when we see bad behavior and we must be willing to testify against them in a court of law. These idiots are our worst enemy!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:45 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
What I've been doing for the past two years, working with the commercial UAV guys to educate, monitor and report..........at the makeshift airfields (school yards, open fields and neighborhoods) where the culprits congregate.........and spend as little time I have, sitting on web forums responding to "sensationalism" at all hours of the day............
So this guy/gal is flying from an undisclosed location, obviously near me somewhere but difficult at best to locate, not at a school yard or what not. This airport has no control tower. Who would you report this incident to?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just looking for solutions.

And I don't think discussing this on a forum of like minded individuals would classify as "sensationalism".
Old 12-21-2015, 07:47 PM
abborgogna

I would turn them in to the local police department. Hopefully they will enforce the law, if not then I guess they get away with it but at least I will have tried.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:50 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by abborgogna View Post
I would turn them in to the local police department. Hopefully they will enforce the law, if not then I guess they get away with it but at least I will have tried.
Good idea, I work in Law enforcement on the federal level and work closely with the local LEO's as well. Talked to several this morning and they all shrugged their shoulders...

So what next?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:48 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Shotgun makes a great report. Start shooting them down.

AMA is not an authority having jurisdiction, just an insurance company.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11840 seconds with 13 queries