Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Air field etiquette questions

Old 01-16-2016, 01:07 AM
Vic Z

Default Air field etiquette questions

I have only been ob 4 flying outings so far, and only the last one was at an RC airfield. Nice place and I plan on returning.
Last time there was nobody there (which is fortunate since I am not yet fully in control), but I imagine that at some point in time I will encounter fellow pilots.
What are some common rules of airfield etiquette?
I will have lots of questions, and it is my experience that pissed off people aren't very helpful.
Do you both fly at the same time?
Is there a pre determined direction of flight?
Do you call out landings?
Basic stuff that makes it all go smoothly
Old 01-16-2016, 01:14 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Best is to contact some local people and get the specific rules used at that field...

Its a good idea to call out intentions of doing anything on/over/near the runway.

USUALLY

Landing has priority over takeoff or any other use of the runway.
Anyone calls out that they have an issue, get your model well clear. Usually go high (preferred) or get it on the ground and fast taxi out of the way.

ALWAYS: On seeing a full scale aircraft entering the airspace, GET ON THE GROUND.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:24 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

The field rules are usually posted at the site, assuming it's an AMA club field. As reference, here's an old copy of my clubs. (This is what is on our web site, but it's a little out of date.)

UFO FIELD PROCEDURES
> No flying before 10 AM (except Electrics & Gliders).
> You must be solo-qualified to fly without an instructor present. Visitors must have a current AMA card and a UFO member present. All UFO members have the right to ask for current AMA cards and refuse to permit anyone to fly without one.
> Transmitters and receivers are to be narrow-band. Pilots will complete a ground check of radio and aircraft before flight.
> Frequency allocations will be on the Pin System with a 15-Minute Maximum time when two or more pilots are on the same frequency. Transmitters are to be kept in the Impound when not in use. Antennas are to be extended only when flying.
> All engines must have mufflers.
> Flying while intoxicated is strictly prohibited. Use of alcoholic beverages is discouraged at the flying site.
> No flying west of the flight-line. Pilots will not fly in a reckless or careless manner so as to endanger anyone.
> When starting engines in the Pit Area, make sure the aircraft is secured with the propeller pointed away from spectators.
> A maximum of (4) four flyers is permitted to fly at one time.
> Do not taxi in the pits! Guide aircraft to the flight-line by hand. When flight is completed, taxi to the flight-line and shut engine down.
> When there is more than one aircraft aloft, please fly upwind over the runway and downwind over the tree-line east of the field.
> If you are flying at above-average altitudes, be sure to have a spotter at your side to warn you of low-flying full-scale aircraft.
> Pilots or helpers retrieving aircraft on the runway should call out loud and clear “Man on the Field”.
> A landing aircraft has the right-of-way over any aircraft taking off
> A “Dead Stick” aircraft has the right-of-way over all others.
> When an engine goes dead in flight, shout “Dead Stick” loudly several times to warn others of the impending landing.
> Pilots of gasoline powered model engines must have a usable fire extinguisher in the Starting Area.
> Please clean up the table and remove your trash, when necessary upon leaving for the day.
> Please lock both gates OPEN when arriving at the field, (This is a D.N.R. requirement). The last one to leave, please LOCK THE GATES AND IMPOUND for the day.
> Pilot Area: There are four fenced in pilot zones. USE THEM AT ALL TIMES!
> Hand-launching: When ever possible, have a second member launch your aircraft.
> Hand-launching should be done outboard of the north and south flight stations.

Most of it is common sense. Maybe the club has a web site that has the field rules on it.

Steve
Old 01-16-2016, 03:34 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Vic Z View Post
I have only been ob 4 flying outings so far, and only the last one was at an RC airfield. Nice place and I plan on returning.
Last time there was nobody there (which is fortunate since I am not yet fully in control), but I imagine that at some point in time I will encounter fellow pilots.
What are some common rules of airfield etiquette?
I will have lots of questions, and it is my experience that pissed off people aren't very helpful.
Do you both fly at the same time?
This really depends on the flight site, club rules and types of model flown. My club has the rule that electrics of small up to medium size can all fly together at same time if wished, but large electrics or wet fuel models fly singly unless agreed between pilots to fly simultaneously. If a person has a specific reason to fly alone with an electric - he makes this known and we generally agree.

Is there a pre determined direction of flight?
This depends on runway / flight site and generally I have found that naturally people choose into wind take-offs / landings and this usually then affects general flight directions. But flight patterns ? It's more of flying within designated area instead of direction.

Do you call out landings?
In my opinion regardless of whether its a club rule of not - calling out landings is always recommended ... it affects all other flyers and should be a normal action.

Basic stuff that makes it all go smoothly
That's the crux ... that all can feel comfortable with all other flyers on the site. Lets be honest Rules are made to regulate the odd idiot or to show outsiders responsible attitude of the club / group. Sensible use of the field, flying as a team and group usually means rules are there but not in the 'face'.

Nigel
Old 01-16-2016, 04:16 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

Most fileds/clubs have roughly the same etiquette the occasional odd ball field that just has to be different.
I belonged to a club that was primarily a pylon racing club and had no set flight line. The only real rules were call your landings and clear the airspace asap when anyone took a practice flight with one of their racers.
Best advice is call the club and ask. Most clubs are very happy to get new members.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Vic Z

Thank you
Pretty straight forward common sense stuff.
With trucks, at my favorite track, the rules were almost nazi-ish. Violators were nearly persecuted, but for the most part in good fun. That's where the best drivers ran, so if you want to get good that's where you go.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:28 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Thank you
Pretty straight forward common sense stuff.
With trucks, at my favorite track, the rules were almost nazi-ish. Violators were nearly persecuted, but for the most part in good fun. That's where the best drivers ran, so if you want to get good that's where you go.
Some fields have rules that can seem a bit excessive...
Generally these rules are created because of problems the members have experienced.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:06 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
> Transmitters and receivers are to be narrow-band. Pilots will complete a ground check of radio and aircraft before flight.
> Frequency allocations will be on the Pin System with a 15-Minute Maximum time when two or more pilots are on the same frequency. Transmitters are to be kept in the Impound when not in use. Antennas are to be extended only when flying.
Do any clubs still have these rules in operation (for 2.4GHz flyers)? Clearly some parts are impossible to comply with when using 2.4GHz, such as frequency pins and antenna extension. And impounding transmitters while still possible is unnecessary.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:36 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Do any clubs still have these rules in operation (for 2.4GHz flyers)? Clearly some parts are impossible to comply with when using 2.4GHz, such as frequency pins and antenna extension. And impounding transmitters while still possible is unnecessary.
I wish those rules were at the locations I fly ... 2.4 has become the ipso-facto and FM has been basically forgotten about controlling - even though there are STILL flyers using it.
I actually have 3 x 35mhx sets.

Nigel
Old 01-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Definitely check with the club before you fly again. If you are not a paid member, that may be a big issue. Also many clubs will not allow you to fly until an instructor has signed you off as safe. If you are still new, you may have to spend time with an instructor buddy boxing.

And of course - AMA membership is usually required.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:13 PM
zoltron55

shop around you will find a club that welcomes beginners & not snooty. announce loudly going up & coming down, you run out of battery announce dead stick landing. my field has much room I stay away from the activity & work on my skills take your time, you can't run till you walk good
Old 01-18-2016, 12:41 AM
grant22

Vic,

Do u shoot at a local firing range? If so its the same idea as there.

Asking guys here is good, but what's better is showing up to your local field and asking away there. That will do a few things:

1) it shows you're humble and willing to learn. Guys there will trip over themselves to help you. This hobby is like off roaring and firearms.......full of knowledgable people willing to help.

2) etiquette here may be different than there. You'll get the most accurate info at that particular field.

3) when you ask for the help on basic etiquette, guess what? They'll also realize you're new and help you with EVERYTHING. You'll get more help with more things than you'll probably want.

Welcome to one of the most relaxing and therapeutic hobbies there are. I'm newly back into this hobby and am oh so glad to be back.

Nothing better!
Old 01-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Aquila1954

If you want to join a club. Go to a meeting or 2. I did that last year when I was looking for a club. And I found that by doing that it also made me feel welcome by the club members.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:45 PM
Vic Z

Went to check out a club 20 minutes from my house on wednesday. Spoke with someone from there last night and will be getting together to join next week.
Looks like a great facility. Big open area, nice big paved runway, and an awesome view of Mt. Rainier.
Gotta love the views here in the northwest.
The guys that were there when i went seemed very friendly and helpful.
I hope they are patient (and agile ) as well. Haha
Can't wait.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:15 PM
Aquila1954

Went to check out a club 20 minutes from my house on wednesday. Spoke with someone from there last night and will be getting together to join next week.
Looks like a great facility. Big open area, nice big paved runway, and an awesome view of Mt. Rainier.
Gotta love the views here in the northwest.
The guys that were there when i went seemed very friendly and helpful.
I hope they are patient (and agile ) as well. Haha
Can't wait.
My cousin took my brother up on Mt Rainier in the early 70's. And they camped out up there also. My cousin was a Professional Mountain climber.
Been up there in Washington once, got to meet my cousin and told him he was frigging nuts. That was around 1993. He lived in Seattle at the time.