Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Reload this Page >

And this is why we can't have nice things... Another Drone moron

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

And this is why we can't have nice things... Another Drone moron

Old 12-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
I like the new solution that is being tested in Tokyo....

To catch a thief you need to find a theif. To catch a quad you need to find a quad
Old 12-21-2015, 10:33 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
How could I have reported him other than to say there was a drone flying nearby. There was no way to tell where he was flying from? That is going to be the big problem I suppose.

I agree though, probably should have at least said what I saw. But then again, once I am registered they will use that database to look for "know users" in the area.

Kind of like when a child is molested the first thing they do is look at the SOR for perps in the area.
My bad, I thought you actually saw the person doing the flying, not just their drone.

And the fact that there are people here complaining about the scofflaws in our hobby proves we can regulate ourselves, IF we put the effort in.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:38 PM
FlyWheel

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
The more the "negatives" are broadcast, the more it will encourage the idiots and those who will continue to beat down UAV, and raise hell..........I, for one, have certainly heard and seen enough negative sensationalism........!

Really, time to move onto the positives and put more "energy" into sorting out the "impacts" rather than harping on "Here's another idiot hurting the hobby" aspects........
Unfortunately is the only media 'news'person I know of who ever believed that good news could sell was Paul Harvey, and he's retired. Permanently.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:43 PM
FlyWheel

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
To catch a thief you need to find a theif. To catch a quad you need to find a quad
Then you need to actually catch him, It didn't look as if the 'prey' drone was making any great effort to evade capture, yet that pursuit drone was still having trouble capturing it. Needs more work guys. Pity the signal cant be jammed, that would make it easy.

Dam^ spread spectrum technology...
Old 12-21-2015, 10:49 PM
formontoya

one wonders with all the technology and GPS stuff that from this point forward a program could be written to somehow power down a craft that gets too close to restricted air...
Old 12-22-2015, 05:58 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

I like the new solution that is being tested in Tokyo....

LOL DRONE Wars!!
Old 12-22-2015, 06:00 AM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by formontoya View Post
one wonders with all the technology and GPS stuff that from this point forward a program could be written to somehow power down a craft that gets too close to restricted air...
There is a company that has a "ray gun" of sorts that brodcasts a signal that interferes with the GPS and rx signals and triggers the drone to auto-land or crash.

Unfortunately, its a violation of FCC rules to use it.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:29 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

One of the GPS based autopilot system makers was reported to be working on incorporating no-fly zones in their software, starting with the general area of Washington DC.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:32 AM
Larry3215

I'm cross posting but wanted to be sure everyone saw this piece of BS. The FAA is trying to back-door the 400 ft rule! Appearantly, you have to agree to this as part of the registration process.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
register-agree.jpg (87.5 KB, 347 views)
Old 12-22-2015, 07:07 AM
Brner
AMA16634

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
I'm cross posting but wanted to be sure everyone saw this piece of BS. The FAA is trying to back-door the 400 ft rule! Appearantly, you have to agree to this as part of the registration process.

Don't be surprised if that's the only "back-door" you'll see as this fiasco develops....
Old 12-22-2015, 02:19 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

One of the GPS based autopilot system makers was reported to be working on incorporating no-fly zones in their software, starting with the general area of Washington DC.
Really old news.......
The "no-fly zone auto pilot systems" for "Hobby" class craft have been in the works since before 2012.......DJI, Spektrum and Futaba all have developed systems that function. The issue here in the U.S. is that without ground based implementation that is accepted and authorized by the FAA throughout all of the the "no-fly zones" (still to be determined legally), the systems cannot be employed (sold, operated or regulated).

The Commercial UAV industry has been the testing ground for such application. DJI has stated that they are ready to launch their system at moments notice.........just waiting for the regulations (legal issues) to be resolved and ENFORCEABLE.............
Old 12-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
There is a company that has a "ray gun" of sorts that brodcasts a signal that interferes with the GPS and rx signals and triggers the drone to auto-land or crash.

Unfortunately, its a violation of FCC rules to use it.
If someone breaks the law by flying a drone where they aren't supposed to, and somebody else uses an illegal 'ray gun' to bring it down....

Do two wrongs make a right?
Old 12-22-2015, 02:31 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
If someone breaks the law by flying a drone where they aren't supposed to, and somebody else uses an illegal 'ray gun' to bring it down....

Do two wrongs make a right?
I'm sure once the FAA get's their poop together, the FFC will follow suit and be part of the regulation and enforcement arm that oversee's "no fly zone" auto-pilot use and implementation........then two wrongs (FAA/FCC) will make it right..........
Old 12-22-2015, 06:28 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

The drone net is silly. Have none of you tried to hit another plane in the air, like streamer combat? Good luck with trying to catch a drone with a net.

And I wonder, it's going to be up to the FAA to enforce the law, silly as it is.
What do they do, get a notification, then pass it through channels, then notify the cops about it? #1 cops are not going to find it by then, cops aren't going to put a lot of effort into it, they have better things to do.

Think about it, the FAA gets a call about a drone. The person taking the call has to take down the witness' statement.And this is government, so they'll have to log it into the system, and type it out in triplicate They then in turn forward it to someone else who has to make the call as to whether to go after said craft. If they do so, they will have to notify local police, after looking up the phone number, as there is no FAA Drone Patrol. The desk Sargent at the station will then pass the info on to a dispatcher, who will have to find a unit in the area, and assign it to check it out. Meanwhile, said drone is now miles away from the reported location, as well as the twit flying it. Yeah like that's going to happen.

Or one crashes. They find an FAA number on it and report it. FAA again has to get the local authorities or one of their Drone Patrol from the nearest FAA office to pick it up.

They trace it to the owner, who simply tells them it was radio interference that caused a fly away and they were not in control of it, so they can't be held responsible if it flew into a house/airplane/crowd.

Only way they could get around this is to have a "Black Box" installed on every craft, just like your cars with computers in them. And sure, everyone will sign up and install them...
Old 12-22-2015, 06:57 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Having flown streamer combat a fair amount...

And realizing that the hunter drone will be FPV with a camera so they can more accurately chase the target...
And they'll be using an appx 4 ft square net (or maybe its 6 ft square) instead of just a 10 inch dia prop...

And since they demonstrated one guy flying a drone trying to evade the hunter drone, knowing that it was coming for him...

I have no doubt that it will catch a lot more of them than not trying at all.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:36 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Maybe Italy should start a registration program. lol
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=630_1450818613
Old 12-23-2015, 12:29 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Ah me thinks that drone was used for recording the event. Still that would of hurt bad if it had hit him. Talk about missing a disaster by a second.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:16 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

So do the NFL/AFL networks have to register their remote control cameras that "fly" across the field to give you those birds eye view of the plays? The Skycam.

I would consider them UAS, just like all the other stuff the FAA says is.
Unmanned, remote control, flies on a tether, weighs less then 50 pounds.

I saw one crash at a football game, hit at least one of the players. Pretty dangerous.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Bald Paul

Wow, this one was REALLY a bit too close for comfort!

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2015/1...ing-world-cup/

EDIT: didn't see BirdDog's post. Sorry.

Last edited by Bald Paul; 12-23-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:58 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
Wow, this one was REALLY a bit too close for comfort!

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2015/1...ing-world-cup/

Professional camera drone operated by one of the TV/News reporting teams... Probably ran out of power in the middle of filming the run.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:00 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
So do the NFL/AFL networks have to register their remote control cameras that "fly" across the field to give you those birds eye view of the plays? The Skycam.

I saw one crash at a football game, hit at least one of the players. Pretty dangerous.

Those are running on wires/cables strung across the field. I saw the one that fell... the cable had to be cut to get it out of the way.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:02 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post

Those are running on wires/cables strung across the field. I saw the one that fell... the cable had to be cut to get it out of the way.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:14 PM
FlyWheel

Originally Posted by DEG View Post
Don't be surprised if that's the only "back-door" you'll see as this fiasco develops....
What's really stupid is that many of the UAV "violations" have occurred with the drone in question operating below 400' AGL.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:12 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Professional camera drone operated by one of the TV/News reporting teams... Probably ran out of power in the middle of filming the run.
This is the real crux ... Professional Operators can get it wrong ...

The stupid Hogwaughts and so on of this world don't think they can get it wrong ...

If a Pro can have such incident ... well ?

Nigel
Old 12-23-2015, 08:20 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
This is the real crux ... Professional Operators can get it wrong ...
yeah, I think you might be surprised at the actual flying skill (or lack thearof) required to be a professional operator. A guy at the field i fly at recently did his CPL-sU (Commercial pilots licence for unmanned aerial vehicles) which is what you need to fly drones 'professionally' in the UK, and I think Europe too.

The ground based part is quite detailed but the actual 'hands on' flying is very limited. Almost all of the flying exam is done under full GPS/altitude control. Basically you just navigate under GPS to a few pre determined locations and take photos of a tree or whatever. There is a small part where you have to turn off the GPS but that's only a simple circuit of the field, no un-assisted emergency landing, no testing manoeuvres. The most basic entry level BMFA/AMA flying exam is orders of magnitude more challenging in terms of hands-on unassisted flying.

How those guys would cope if they lost GPS lock in a difficult situation I'd hate to think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12236 seconds with 15 queries