Company Discussions Discuss your company experiences here.

GWS is Gone

Old 02-17-2017, 07:41 PM
TopSpin

Default GWS is Gone

Sad news, GWS is no more. I and others have attempted to contact GWS for some time now and the latest word is that they are no longer in business in the US. I wish that wasn't the case but it looks like they are gone for good.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:01 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Hmmmmm......

http://store.gwsus.com/home/

Over at RCG, this guy (GWS CHEN) still responds to e-mails and a few post over there.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...53-Is-GWS-gone

Maybe by March (2017) sometime, orders and service supply will ramp up. Since my contact at Hobby People is no longer in the business, info on their (GWS America, US affiliation, Upland, California) and 2nd relocation in the past 4 years, has dried up.......

Note...:

For those still interested in GWS models, Caliber Hobby continues to stock and ship several kits and parts for several models.....:

http://www.caliberhobby.com/airplanekits.html

Even a few Slow-Stick, PT17, WWII War Planes and Trainer (E-Starter) models to include power systems are still available......although many of the most popular (Tiger Moth, Formosa, Beaver and Hero) types are still out of stock.

Last edited by pizzano; 02-17-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:34 AM
TopSpin

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Hmmmmm......

http://store.gwsus.com/home/

Over at RCG, this guy (GWS CHEN) still responds to e-mails and a few post over there.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...53-Is-GWS-gone

Maybe by March (2017) sometime, orders and service supply will ramp up. Since my contact at Hobby People is no longer in the business, info on their (GWS America, US affiliation, Upland, California) and 2nd relocation in the past 4 years, has dried up.......

Note...:

For those still interested in GWS models, Caliber Hobby continues to stock and ship several kits and parts for several models.....:

http://www.caliberhobby.com/airplanekits.html

Even a few Slow-Stick, PT17, WWII War Planes and Trainer (E-Starter) models to include power systems are still available......although many of the most popular (Tiger Moth, Formosa, Beaver and Hero) types are still out of stock.
Chen has not worked for GWS for 5 years so he really can't help.

The folks at Caliber don't answer emails and the phone is disconnected. Try ordering something, anything and see what happens,,,,,,,,,Nothing happens that's what. GWS is no longer selling products in the United States, I can speak for the rest of the world.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:25 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I don't believe I stated or implied that GWS CHEN worked for GWS......and two of my buddies bought PT17 fuselages and a mixed bag of other parts from Caliber early last month via credit card. It took a week to get tracking and receipt data and they both received their orders in 10 days (a day apart)..........not sure where the stock originated from, but they both live approx. 35 miles from the Upland location.........

"I can speak for the rest of the world."........LOL......Well, I cannot speak for the rest of the world, but until GWS and Caliber's websites shut down and Caliber acknowledges they've moved back to China, I'll continue to stay optimistic that GWS and their sister company FMS will reorganize.

Makes no sense to (Top) spin a bunch of insubstantial allegations. Unless, of course one has undisputed, verifiable "secret" insider trading information vetted by a high clearance, reputable authority. Otherwise, it just sounds like another "snowflake" blowing "fake news" for the entertainment shock value........lol
Old 02-19-2017, 10:22 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I think he meant to say "I CAN'T speak for the rest of the world...", but I do know that Caliber had a massive selloff several months back. Guys were showing up at the warehouse and getting stacks of planes for like $50. Not sure if they're still selling, but if so I would have to say it's limited to just what's left. I don't think GWS is shipping anymore stuff to the US warehouse.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:31 AM
TopSpin

Thanks Pat, I did mean to type can't, just a slip. Anyway I had heard about the liquidation sale and have been trying to contact them since about the 18th of January with no luck. I have finally given up.

I am really sorry to see GWS go because they wee the only foam airplane manufacturer that made them in kit form, they were super easy to customize and they flew very well. I would like to see another company make similar products but it's all P&P or BNF now. I guess that's what sells though so that's what the hobby dealers are going to stock. Too bad, I'm really going to miss GWS.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:13 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Yeah, me too. Even though I've gone into the bigger PNP stuff available now, I still have a flyable Slow Stick (and just flew it in combat on Saturday during the Arizona Electric Festival, came in second and had one solid hit to take someone out), as well as some stuff still in boxes.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:05 PM
TopSpin

I just heard that there is still inventory in Taiwan but it I have not figured out where or how to buy it?

Caliber Hobby, the GWS US distributor is long gone since last year so there is no more GWS in the US. I wish Mr. Lin would sell the model operation to someone else so they could continue making them.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:40 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Same with JPowers. Still see some models sold here and there at HK and Banana but not the full line of Skyangel edf's or Funfighters. A while back Atomix stopped selling JPowers, Hobby B (one man show) gone, the company in City of Industry, gone.

I liked their 64mm's and 70mm's. Rare finds used now.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:00 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

And Phase 3. Was sad to see them stop producing kits. Their F-16 was a huge success. Glad I still have two kits NIB.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:37 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Say it aint so , Pat! That's sad.

The Phase 3 F-16 was my first entry into the edf world. Still have my second one.

One of the smoothest flyers ever made IMO despite being made from Styrofoam. Crash hard and she's confetti material for a parade. But so what? The airframe was dirt cheap when it went on sale. I remember occasionally they would go on sale from HP for $40.00 for the kit.

I'm sure they will become an RC collector's item like the Eflight Deuces Wild became. Not that it supplement your retirement plan but.... LOL

Bummer,

Hawk
Old 03-23-2017, 11:27 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Yep, got my last two kits at the $40 price.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:54 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I will pay you 41 plus shipping to Texas for one of them ! I know, shipping is $100.00. lol
Old 03-24-2017, 03:02 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I found a couple other sites that were selling it, but they are all out of stock. I think I recall seeing somewhere that the owner of JPower has hung up his hat on production, so I seriously doubt those places will ever get them back in stock.

And no, I will not be parting with any of mine!
Old 03-24-2017, 03:26 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

JPowers as well ??

Where will we get our 50mm Mini EDF jets from

Nigel
Old 03-24-2017, 05:09 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Sounds like we're out of Schlitz !

I still see a few of them on Banana Hobby, HK (very limited array) Toysonics ( gone) HobbyB (gone) AtomixRC ( no more Jpowers). Sometimes they pop-up on Banggood, Amazon or ebay. Maybe there's still container loads out there. Who knows?

Some guys over on the RCG thread have stockpiled these little jets. I still have my L-39. T-45 ( yes Nigel, Red Arrows version) F-16. Retired for good are the F/A-18, T-33, mini-Viper, Katana, AMX

Flying the bigger 70,80 & 90's now but there's a warm place in my heart for these little ones. Sadly missed.

The margins must be really bad for both the mfg. and the reseller.

Hawk
Old 03-24-2017, 11:32 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Oops, my bad. I said JPower, but meant Phase 3. But the JPowers are getting hard to find as well, so who knows. The Fruit Company still has some JPower in stock (under their BlitzWorks brand).
Old 03-25-2017, 07:19 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Nigel,

Check out PorcupineRC

http://www.porcupinerc.com/Sky-Angel...dio_p_646.html

Hawk
Old 03-25-2017, 04:41 PM
Highpines

Default GWS

Hey guy's..Been in touch with "Kuan" and was fast reply actually yesterday..Gett'n back into hobby and was looking for the E-Starter cause tore down my trashed planes. Say's has in U.S but only built with brushless and servo's (anyone know of this one?) Will pick up soon as here where to go. Have my trusty "Beaver" brushless sitt'n here...Guy on Ebay want's over $200 for a Beaver in box.. What can you say...Will keep you updated..
Old 03-25-2017, 04:53 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Cheers ....

Shippings a bit steep though !!

Nigel
Old 03-26-2017, 01:30 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Yes but for me a T-45 or A4 at USD 56 + 31 shipping keeps it under $100 Not too bad. Wonder who's actually making them or did Porcupine simply buy a container load of left over inventory? Who knows ? I may grab one just to keep for another day. I spend more on 6S lipos.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:58 AM
Highpines

Thanx guy's..Looked but swear didn't see an E-Starter...Not ready for crazy stuff yet...
Old 03-26-2017, 07:29 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have to say - I was always interested in the Mig15 and F16 ....

HK still have some Mig15 kits ....

Nigel
Old 03-26-2017, 10:31 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I have 4 Mig's 2 Mig-15's (50&64), a 80 mm Mig-21 and a prop in the slot Mig-29. Love Mig's . Also have 2 F-16's ( 50&64) fast and fun. I have more edf's than anything now and am ready to pop for the new FW twin 80 A-10 Warthog. Brrrrt.

Hawk
Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 PM
Highpines

Default GWS order

E-Starter is on the way..Yea!..Working with "Kuan" at GWS has been a pleasure to say the least ...very prompt, courteous etc..kit comes with servo's, motor and esc installed....I'm sure I can change setup if want..anyway..happy, happy

Quick Reply: GWS is Gone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10416 seconds with 11 queries