ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Handle light wind and land on grass ??

Old 06-20-2015, 12:57 PM
camps23

Default Handle light wind and land on grass ??

Hi all
My only experience so far is with the super cub lp and a litehawk zoom 2 micro. Looking for a parkflyer that can handle light winds and land/takeoff in short grass. Any suggestions and opinions would be appreciated.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:30 PM
fishycomics

I have a GWS Electrifly Flylite what I fly not what I recommend to anyone but myself.

\

Last edited by fishycomics; 06-22-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:45 PM
Tepid Pilot

Originally Posted by camps23 View Post
Hi all
My only experience so far is with the super cub lp and a litehawk zoom 2 micro. Looking for a parkflyer that can handle light winds and land/takeoff in short grass. Any suggestions and opinions would be appreciated.
I hesitate to recommend a specific airplane, there are so many to choose from.

I do, however, suggest whatever plane you get you install a set of large diameter Dubro Micro Sport Wheels. The smallest size you should consider are the 1.86" diameter, with 2.5" recommended. They tend to look kinda goofy but they sure do work well in short grass.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...o+sport+wheels

TP
AMA 59376
Old 06-20-2015, 05:44 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Many can handle it with sufficient up elevator throw, by punching the throttle to "pull" it out of the grass. This does take some practice and normally a bit of rudder input. Conversely, stabbing the throttle with up elevator again, right after landing can help to keep from nosing over. Again, it takes a bit of practice. Locating or bending landing gear a little bit forward gives good results as does adding larger wheels. I have a drawer full or wheelpants from primarily flying off grass.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:12 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

How well trimmed is the grass? If it's reasonably short ('chipping green' length or shorter is great) you should have no problems. Longer grass can be trickier, as the wheels can catch and the plane may nose over. Of course you could always hand launch.

Landing on long grass with smaller wheels (less than 2") can be done, best results I've gotten is to flair the plane as much as you can without stalling it. The slower and shorter your touchdown the less chance there is of of burying the prop.

Of course you could easily turn it into a belly lander, they are pretty much made for grass landings.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:49 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Every model is OK ....

Because ALL models suffer in grass. Short mown grass is like a jungle to a model wheel. It takes good power ratio and elevator authority. I have models that are fine of hard surface buta nightmare on grass. But bending legs forward just a touch makes the difference.

Take-offs .... gingerly opening throttle will have many nosing over. Punching throttle over can do it as well. Basically inertia of the wheels not moving - over she goes. So a balance of power and getting her to move ...
A trick you see some do is to roll model back and forth on the spot to create a few inches of flat grass. It allows the wheels to start moving.

If in doubt . Hand launch.

Models ? Cessna's, Formosa, Badius, lots of them out there.

Nigel
Old 06-21-2015, 11:11 AM
fishycomics

larger the better with larger wheels Super cub
Old 06-21-2015, 11:18 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OP wants a Parkflyer that is good on grass ....

Well to be honest average parkland will have many Parkflyers in the 'unlikely' possible range ... but if park to fly from is like a baseball pitch - then OK.

We have an area we mow 'unofficially' ourselves ... and that defeats many of our park range models. Hand launching gets order of day for most.

Its fine advising big wheels ... but it's not only weight but drag that affects the model. Bid wheels can cause drag sufficient to alter CoG effectiveness. Better to stay with design wheels and hand launch ... or if model looks normal without - take em off ...

Nigel
Old 06-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Tepid Pilot

. . . Bid(g) wheels can cause drag sufficient to alter CoG effectiveness . . .
Big fat wheels, maybe, but certainly not those super skinny, super light Dubro Micro Sport wheels. Voice of experience here. Peformance on soccer field conditions improved radically with those wheels.

TP
AMA 59376
Old 06-21-2015, 02:23 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot View Post
Big fat wheels, maybe, but certainly not those super skinny, super light Dubro Micro Sport wheels. Voice of experience here. Peformance on soccer field conditions improved radically with those wheels.

TP
AMA 59376
Fair enough ... you guys are lucky to have such easily available.

Nigel
Old 06-21-2015, 03:08 PM
birdDog
Charging....

After thinking a little further. I personally have had better experience on/off grass with the aerobatic/3d style of planes. Extras, Edge, Katana style planes have the landing gear placed well forward of the CG. Warbirds, sportsters and the like seem to have scale landing gear locations very close to the CG. 3d style planes also normally have longer landing gear to accommodate swinging larger propellers.
This came to me after having a pilot with a couple different sized Super Sportsters ask me what models I was flying (Stevens Aero Edge540 and Mountain Models Etana, both under 2.5 pounds). He was impressed by their abilities to taxi on the grass with 1.5" wheels. The massive elevator surfaces also help.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:03 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have large wheels on my glow biplane .. doesn't stop her having odd nose overs. But my Extra and Katana ......... as another says - no problem.

They also have massive power to pull that nose UP !

Nigel
Old 06-21-2015, 04:40 PM
fishycomics

flat skies slick grass
Old 06-21-2015, 05:41 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Hi all
Well, you seem to have some experience with micro's......if you feel up to it and have the space and a good +6ch TX, I'd suggest you step-up and get yourself a decent sized craft that will handle wind and grass ROG.

The heavier the craft, the better wind and ROG handling will be.

Consider something like a ParkZone T-28 Trojan.........it's a very durable craft, good beginner/intermediate/advanced pilot flyer and will become one of your favorites in the long run.

It is one of my first low wing, trike landing gear planes, and I fly off of soccer fields and dirt roads all the time with her.........I just added Du-Bro 2.5" wheels to her and she will ROG on just about anything that's not taller then 3"...(rocks, potholes and swamps excluded).....lol

Although it is a trike, you'll find over time that landings will become less panic stricken and nose overs, although they do occur at times, will not be something to worry about........like everything related to flying, practice and good equipment will build confidence.........

And the PZ T-28 is a beast.........it handles nearly every aspect of flying one can throw at it and is tough as nails structurally........!
Old 06-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Brian VT

Skip the landing gear and get something like the Model Aero Polaris ?
Takes off and lands on grass, dirt, snow, water. Skin the bottom with report cover plastic.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:09 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

For high grass fields, I prefer hand launching/belly landing. Flying wings. Parkzone Stryker. Etc.

Actually, the same goes for handling wind.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:47 PM
fishycomics

If one does not land a wing right, they snap the push prop.. but agree Belly landing is fun
Old 06-22-2015, 11:02 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I rarely break a prop on landing. Admittedly, most of those planes use 'prop savers.'
Old 06-23-2015, 08:15 PM
fishycomics

Yep never broken a ting right? (JK)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:55 PM
camps23

Lots of great advice here. I went out on the weekend to an air field and saw a few of the eflight apprentice with larger wheels...they were landing and taking off in short grass. I'm leaning towards this plane as of now. Seems durable and some were even doing some basic aerial maneuvers with them
Old 06-24-2015, 08:43 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Lots of great advice here. I went out on the weekend to an air field and saw a few of the eflight apprentice with larger wheels...they were landing and taking off in short grass. I'm leaning towards this plane as of now. Seems durable and some were even doing some basic aerial maneuvers with them
Which Apprentice ?

There's the trainer Cessna look alike ..... or the Hobby King copy of the UK's WOT4 .....

I know which one I'd have ..... the WOT4 is an incredible machine that serves as second model and increase throws becomes an amazing sport aerobatic machine.

Anyway ---- I'm checking depron stocks and looking at building the Polaris multi.surface flyer ... wont matter about grass then as it will slide across it !

Nigel
Old 06-24-2015, 12:40 PM
Brian VT

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Anyway ---- I'm checking depron stocks and looking at building the Polaris multi.surface flyer ... wont matter about grass then as it will slide across it !

Nigel
Fun plane. The main weakness is if you nose it in the weight/momentum of the motor wants to rip the whole tail from the wing/fuse. I'm not sure if there's a way to reinforce this without adding too much tail weight. So...try not to nose it in.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:09 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Guy I know has the Hobby King copy ... and his motor just decided to fly off on its own !! He's happily flying around ... then BHAM !

Thanks for the tip.

Nigel
Old 06-24-2015, 03:19 PM
camps23

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Which Apprentice ?

There's the trainer Cessna look alike ..... or the Hobby King copy of the UK's WOT4 .....

I know which one I'd have ..... the WOT4 is an incredible machine that serves as second model and increase throws becomes an amazing sport aerobatic machine.

Nigel
Im looking at the eflight apprentice s 15e
Old 06-24-2015, 03:21 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Im looking at the eflight apprentice s 15e
That's the Trainer one ... many reckon it's a good machine ... never had one or seen one - so cannot comment.

Nigel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14857 seconds with 10 queries