ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

No more park flying in Rancho Cucamonga

Old 02-24-2015, 06:18 PM
propnut48

I kinda wish I was still back in the 50's or 60's when life was a bit less constricted and rushed. We could fly anywhere and have crowd watching us instead of someone calling the police on us. Sometimes I feel like I have a straight jacket on. I can see their point though of the liability issue. If we fly some of the new stuff around houses at a fast park speed, less the 60 mph of course, and hit someone or something, house, car or etc. it could cause alot of monetary damage. The AMA would probably on cover it if it wasn't legal to fly there in the first place. I and the others were dodging and AK-47 bullet , so to speak. We were dang lucky. I'm going to join the Norton club so I have a bigger area and my AMA is valid.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:25 PM
GBLynden

I am sorry to hear about the Propnut. I also agree with the soccer and dogs comment.....don't get me started on those two things lol
Old 03-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Dont blame the drones for the park rules. They may be the reason for the new enforcement, but other idiots - flying conventional RC models - caused the rules to be put in place decades ago.

You're not alone and its not just SoCal. Its been the rule to ban ALL RC (including cars) in most urban areas across the country going back to the 60's. Here in Wa state, virtually all public parks and lands have the rc ban in force. The rules generally say something like "except in designated areas".

Its not that hard to get an area "designated" as ok for rc flying, but it takes a good bit of leg work. The AMA will help you if you want to try that route.

I know of at least three RC clubs that operate legally in parks here in Wa. There used to be more, but unfortunately, angry home owners trump toy airplanes every time.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Griff Murphey

The most frequently asked question when a middle aged lady sees my micro WW-1 biplanes is: "Is that a DRONE!?!?"

I think a lot of them are afraid a drone is going to hover outside their window and spy on them. Anyway the news is full of them flying where they are not supposed to - from sporting events to the White House.

Overall I think their image is worse that it deserves to be, but it's still not good. Part of that is the media hype and part is legitimate concern over privacy. Unfortunately they take us down with them.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:25 PM
propnut48

I Hate to blame the drones/quads but we flew there for 11 yrs with out any issue. We even had a crowd waiting for a crash as most spectators do. Once the quads arrived it only took 2 months to be kicked out. Most were large 6-8 rotor ones that were loud and they would fly the edge of the park next to the homes. We never had a plane crash into a home but 2 quads did and after that it was down hill from there. I have no problem banning quads/drones for residential areas. No problem with them out in the open areas. A lot of the guys that were flying would fly beyond line of sight and many were lost due to a video glitch not the radio range. they would lost it and most did not have a return to home set up on them as they were rogue. I kinda agree with the FCC saying they must stay in line of sight even flying FPV and have a spotter to visually confirm where it is at all times. May take the fun out of it but they brought it on themselves. Just like street racing, there is a place for everything and everyone. Too many chances of injuring an innocent bystander. IMHO, take or leave it.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:19 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
Ah, but dogs and soccer are Ok. Wonder how many injuries, crime and death from dogs and soccer compared to model airplanes,
People aren't killed by soccer. Although rugby players may get eaten...
Old 12-27-2016, 12:11 AM
E-Challenged

I fly in a public park in Costa Mesa, CA. The city of CM requires us to have AMA membership insurance or equivalent home owners insurance, sign a paper that we will abide by field safety rules. pay an annual fee of
$25 and wear the permit badge at all times while flying. Only electric powered and unpowered gliders, helis and drones are permitted to fly at this venue. The permit can be revoked for non-compliance or fines may be assessed through park rangers or CM police action. This is one of the very few authorized park flying venues in southern CA that I am aware of. We are in constant jeopardy of losing flying privileges if there is a serious injury or if we lose use to Pop Warner football or other competing interests. Most public parks and schools prohibit flying of models and other kinds of activities that can subject them to law suits for injury or property damage. Cities and school systems must enforce these prohibitions to avoid potential liabilities. In the 30's through the 70's there were corporations and military services that supported model plane activity. We support ourselves nowadays through membership in the AMA and club membership.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:40 AM
Griff Murphey

I have been flying about four years and have torn up a lot of planes flying in my front yard. I recently discovered Rockwood Park off of University in Fort Worth; one relatively undeveloped flat grass area next to the Trinity River is about 200 by 250 yards. I have cut my damage experiences way down. Generally speaking there is nobody there or perhaps a guy hitting golf balls. In my opinion the golf balls are certainly more hazardous than my planes; I fly micros and park flyers so I usually fly at dawn or dusk when it's calm. I have an E Flite park B-17 which is a real sky truck; I would not fly it anyplace else.

I hope we in Texas never have this kind of bureaucracy but I am sure it's only a matter of time.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:34 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

It is only going to get worse with Drones. As soon as someone weaponizes one, it is really going to come down hard. Just a matter of time before it happens. What is worse will be extremely difficult to track down the operator as they can be miles away with untraceable parts. Cash is silent and drones takes almost no skills to fly one. Only honest pilots and gun owners follow rules and use credit cards.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:15 PM
flycatch

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
It is only going to get worse with Drones. As soon as someone weaponizes one, it is really going to come down hard. Just a matter of time before it happens. What is worse will be extremely difficult to track down the operator as they can be miles away with untraceable parts. Cash is silent and drones takes almost no skills to fly one. Only honest pilots and gun owners follow rules and use credit cards.
They already have and you can view one on UTube.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:13 PM
SoCal Perky
Stik Jockey

Thanks for the input Chellie. I'm going to be in Pinion Hills for a few weeks this summer and was wondering if there were any locations other RC Enthusiasts fly at out there.

Perry