Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

new to drones

Old 11-30-2016, 01:19 PM
Rhondas

Default new to drones

I purchased a work teck omni mini with a camera , can any one help me set up my cell phone that's not in service to work as the viewer for the drones camera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mini orion ace.jpg (45.1 KB, 187 views)
Old 11-30-2016, 03:36 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

If the "out of service" phone relies on apps like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, data transfer and other tools requiring some kind of transfer signal, you may be out of luck.
To the best of my knowledge, only the camera aspect of the phone can be used for photos and vid that do not require a "streaming" aspect, which can be stored on the removable SD card (if it has one)..........in your case, live streaming from the craft to the phone will need some kind of signal transfer and not all phones (even in service) are compatible with many types of firmware required to perform that task.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:06 PM
Flubber

If your phone can connect to wifi download the app for the drone from the suppliers website or playstore. Your phone's bluetooth must be able to handle the transmitters output so check that first. It may use the newer BLE (bluetooth low energy) system.

Basically you are going to connect via bluetooth to the output from the transmitter.

Do you have a link for that product? Some of the above are guesses as I couldn't easily find that drone.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:31 AM
Rhondas

to Flubber
here is the link to the drone
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ctId=115207166
Old 12-02-2016, 04:34 AM
Rhondas

Default a cell phone for my Drone

Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
If your phone can connect to wifi download the app for the drone from the suppliers website or playstore. Your phone's bluetooth must be able to handle the transmitters output so check that first. It may use the newer BLE (bluetooth low energy) system.

Basically you are going to connect via bluetooth to the output from the transmitter.

Do you have a link for that product? Some of the above are guesses as I couldn't easily find that drone.

thank you Flubber

I dont think th emodel I just purchased has blue tooth .

here is the link 1/2 off price$$$$

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...7166:rolleyes:
Old 12-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Flubber

I can not track down a manual for that drone. Is there a manual in the box or a link to one? The video has to get from the transmitter or the drone to the phone via a wire or a wireless system. If there is a wired connection that has to plug into the phone. I have set up several drones that used wifi connection and a few that use bluetooth. Both are easy. You can use your phone to check for a bluetooth or wifi output from the drone. Just go to settings and turn on the blue tooth then turn the trsnsmitter and the drone on. See if something pops up.

The manual would help.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:11 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I can not track down a manual for that drone. Is there a manual in the box or a link to one? The video has to get from the transmitter or the drone to the phone via a wire or a wireless system. If there is a wired connection that has to plug into the phone. I have set up several drones that used wifi connection and a few that use bluetooth. Both are easy. You can use your phone to check for a bluetooth or wifi output from the drone. Just go to settings and turn on the blue tooth then turn the trsnsmitter and the drone on. See if something pops up.

The manual would help.
I'm curious how one can get both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functions to run on a phone that is "out-of-service" or "not in service" like the OP stated.....?

I have several Samsung, Moto and LG's cell phones that are no longer in service, all have both applications, none of those applications run without a live service application provided by a local cell carrier........?.........I too. awhile back, was interested in running Bluetooth on remote device with one of my "out-of service" phones. Since I live in a populated location in the U.S where services for such are readily available for a fee, I have inquired about the very same issue as the OP and have been told by all the carriers WI-FI and Bluetooth requires an active, live service to function..........Tried it anyway, never hooked up....!

Unless there is some "magic" involved here that I'm not aware of........it would be nice to put to use some of my old cell phones........!
Old 12-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Flubber

Well It seems like there is a lot of information on the web on how to do it, Some phones are easier than others. Most behave like WIFI only tablets without service. But do not believe me Please look it up as I did.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:02 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Well It seems like there is a lot of information on the web on how to do it, Some phones are easier than others. Most behave like WIFI only tablets without service. But do not believe me Please look it up as I did.
Thanks Flubber.............I have looked it up, and yes it seems there are a few "newer" phones that operate much like a "tablet" that can be formatted to run a Bluetooth application without a service contract........!

However, if one intends to use such and that device (cell phone) had been purchased through a cell provider service and previously activated here in the U.S., chances are "slim & none" it will work.......unless one has the know-how and ability to reprogram the phone to override the Sim-card service priority after it (the card) has been removed.

I just know the three phones I tried this "trick" with (an LG, Moto and Samsung) after following a couple of related You-Tube vids, the Bluetooth showed up to be engaged on two of the devices, but would not connect without several erroneous error commands disrupting the connection, which I could not override.......in all cases, the Wi-Fi signal never was acknowledged by any of the phones.

Although, you make a good observation.........If the OP has a "none" phone related tablet, that would be a very good choice if they can use Bluetooth on the craft.......!

Just relating my personal experience here, others may have had success elsewhere........
Old 12-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Flubber

Thank you for helping me remember why I avoid posting here
Old 12-05-2016, 01:48 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I currently have 4 phones with me .... Blackberry Z30, Samsung smartphone, Prestigio Wize3 and a Nokia ..... all 4 have no problem to activate BT and WiFi without a Sim card inserted.

I'm typing now on an android tablet - no Sim card but WiFi connected to the Prestigio that has had a Sim card installed.

I have a box full of phones at home .... Sony, Nokia, Samsung, HTC .... just to name a few - never had any problem connecting them WiFi or BT with and without Sim cards.

My Prestigio is used on my DJI without Sim card ..... WiFi is fine - home or the DJI connects as I need.

Strange.

Nigel
Old 12-05-2016, 04:29 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

This subject has rekindled my interest..........I recently purchased a couple of remote Bluetooth sound system speakers. A pair of Harman\Kardon Onyx Studio 3's and a pair of JBL Flip 3's as Christmas gifts for the kids.

So, I rounded up and charged the three cell phones I mentioned previously and a newer/older phone recently retired, a Galaxy J3 that had been purchased without a service plan. I should also mention that those previous three phones had been purchased as package deals with our service provider Sprint, all three have the Sprint name stamped on the phones.

Anyway, last night I removed each of the SIM cards and fired up everything. I also inserted one of my SD cards with MP3 audio files, in each phone individually and checked each for play back through the phone speakers first. All but the Moto played back fine. I determined that the Moto has issues other than play back that I cannot resolve. It was one of my work horses for several years, it's a wonder that it even powers up.

Long story short.........The only phone I could get to operate Bluetooth on the remote speakers was the newer/older Galaxy J3.........the others either showed Bluetooth available and no connection or did not engage Bluetooth at all..........all of these phones had operated various Bluetooth applications previously when service activated. I did not attempt to WI-FI connect any of the phones since past experience proved useless.

Like I stated previously, these are my results. I'm not sure if the issue is related to the phones being Sprint encoded or there are problems with the phones operating systems. Having spoken with Sprint, At&T and Verizon techs in the past, each had stated that their phones may or may not connect to Bluetooth/Wi-Fi without a service connection. I've also had conversations with guys I fly with. Many have experienced the same results with their phones that have been purchased as part of a service package with there Cell provider. I guess it depends on the type of phone and service provided equipment "enhancements"............at least the latest exercise has given me one phone I can still use for MP3 and photo/vid reproduction.........!

Thanks guys for stimulating my curiosity again.........Hope this info has shed some light for the OP........!

Last edited by pizzano; 12-05-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Rhondas

Default CELLS phones DIFFER on drones

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
This subject has rekindled my interest..........I recently purchased a couple of remote Bluetooth sound system speakers. A pair of Harman\Kardon Onyx Studio 3's and a pair of JBL Flip 3's as Christmas gifts for the kids.

So, I rounded up and charged the three cell phones I mentioned previously and a newer/older phone recently retired, a Galaxy J3 that had been purchased without a service plan. I should also mention that those previous three phones had been purchased as package deals with our service provider Sprint, all three have the Sprint name stamped on the phones.

Anyway, last night I removed each of the SIM cards and fired up everything. I also inserted one of my SD cards with MP3 audio files, in each phone individually and checked each for play back through the phone speakers first. All but the Moto played back fine. I determined that the Moto has issues other than play back that I cannot resolve. It was one of my work horses for several years, it's a wonder that it even powers up.

Long story short.........The only phone I could get to operate Bluetooth on the remote speakers was the newer/older Galaxy J3.........the others either showed Bluetooth available and no connection or did not engage Bluetooth at all..........all of these phones had operated various Bluetooth applications previously when service activated. I did not attempt to WI-FI connect any of the phones since past experience proved useless.

Like I stated previously, these are my results. I'm not sure if the issue is related to the phones being Sprint encoded or there are problems with the phones operating systems. Having spoken with Sprint, At&T and Verizon techs in the past, each had stated that their phones may or may not connect to Bluetooth/Wi-Fi without a service connection. I've also had conversations with guys I fly with. Many have experienced the same results with their phones that have been purchased as part of a service package with there Cell provider. I guess it depends on the type of phone and service provided equipment "enhancements"............at least the latest exercise has given me one phone I can still use for MP3 and photo/vid reproduction.........!

Thanks guys for stimulating my curiosity again.........Hope this info has shed some light for the OP........!
its good to know with some experimentation you can or possible find the right match.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mini orion ace.jpg (45.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 12-05-2016, 07:39 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

If I were to get another camera drone, I think I'd get this one: https://www.yuneec.com/en_US/product.../overview.html

Hawk
Old 12-22-2016, 04:40 AM
Rhondas

Default gave wrong link

[QUOTE=Rhondas;1001764]thank you Flubber

I dont think th emodel I just purchased has blue tooth .

just wify