Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Aircraft reccomendations for new flyers

Old 12-01-2007, 08:09 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Depends on your experience.

It's a nice flying plane, but it's a low wing, with ailerons, and it can be rather fast. It likes a long approach on landing, otherwise it comes in hot.

I would say it would make a fairly good third plane. As long as you aren't to your 3rd plane because you crashed the first two...
Old 12-03-2007, 04:42 AM
carld2002

Know any fms models for it?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:24 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by carld2002 View Post
Know any fms models for it?
Simulators (in general) aren't accurate enough for it to make much difference. You don't need the exact model... just pick one with low-wing and similar dimensions. Your real lessons will be in the real world anyway. Simulators don't model anything exactly, and that includes the expensive ones. You will be able to get a feel for the differences between planes, but none of them will be exact. Your real plane will be different from the simulator model in any number of ways, especially if you set it up yourself. Air density, temperature, different motors and servos... all these things mean the simulator will never be exactly right. Just find one that's close and you will be able to practice well enough.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:24 AM
enephel

Simulator is a must before you fly. I have crashed millions of dollars worth of planes on my pc screen. Might I suggest a Zagi? Easy to build. 45-50 mph with 400 can motor. Later upgrade to brushless. It was my second plane after a Tutor Trainer from Great Planes. I have planted the Zagi in at near full throttle and went over there and picked it up. Gave it a quick inspection and powered it on and launched it right back into it's next ill-fated plundering. The plastic battery tray is all you will ever replace besides new tape. When it gets so beat up that it flutters at full throttle. Peel the covering tape off and re-cover it. New color makeover. Look into it. They are fun and later you can get a Stryker. Flies the same. I flew my current brushless Zagi full throttle into a crab apple tree. Like 70 mph. The prop broke off. Put a new one on and flew it again.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:24 PM
carld2002

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Simulators (in general) aren't accurate enough for it to make much difference. You don't need the exact model... just pick one with low-wing and similar dimensions. Your real lessons will be in the real world anyway. Simulators don't model anything exactly, and that includes the expensive ones. You will be able to get a feel for the differences between planes, but none of them will be exact. Your real plane will be different from the simulator model in any number of ways, especially if you set it up yourself. Air density, temperature, different motors and servos... all these things mean the simulator will never be exactly right. Just find one that's close and you will be able to practice well enough.
I know simulators are generally inaccurate but it was more to cure boredom than laque of experience.

Would an aerobird swift be good for a second?

I will be getting the trojan for sure but I may or may not put it away before I fly it.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 AM
carld2002

So I will be getting the trojan, but I almost certainly also will be putting it away for at least a few eeeks after I get it.

I have decided that I need a transition plane so I need your opinions on a good one to get.

My requirememnts are fairly flexable:

-It must have ailerons.

-It's speed should be between that of my skyfly and the trojan so I can make the transition.

-Must be rtf

I am looking to spend about $150 but less is better.

Basically, I am looking for an in-between plane that I can fly for a few weeks before I try the trojan.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:13 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Do you have a radio already?

Likely that would cost you more than the $150 that you have set aside for the in between plane. But it will be the best investment. Preferably a computerized radio, so you can program your multiple planes into it.

Although, I would still recommend that you buy the RTF kit for the trojan. For the price difference, you get a free receiver, battery, charger, and radio.

You can sell the charger, and radio. You're better off with the better radio, and the charger is practically useless.

But, there's maybe 40 bucks difference between the the PNP and the RTF, and that battery is easily worth that difference.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:40 AM
carld2002

I need a trainer more than a radio. Plus the trojan comes with a reusable radio and that should do me allright for a while.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I've just been catching up on this thread. Quite a saga so far!

Monkey's right. A good radio is a great investment.

I've got a JR computer radio that I absolutely love. Only problem is that it is a positive shift radio, whereas Parkzone 72 MHz radios are negative shift. What that means is that my RTF Stryker C (my second airplane after the Super Cub, BTW) came with its own radio, and I cannot use my JR radio to fly it. No biggie, but if you get a Futaba or Airtronics (both negative shift), then you can use it to fly the T-28 with the Prkzone RTF receiver.

Or you get the PNP version of the T-28, spend an extra $30 on an Rx and you are good to go with whatever radio you find.

Look to eBay for a radio. The one I got was from someone who was selling the Tx separately from the Rx and servos that were packaged together. I got a brand new $350 radio for $130. It is synthsized frequency, meaning you can tune it to whatever frequency you need to match the Rx. No crystals for the Tx. Very cool!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:46 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Well, for a trainer, there are lots of great build ideas for flat foam. Either you use blue foam or the foam board that you can buy at Walmart or the Dollar Store.

Then you buy the electronics to fill it. They are all reusable as you build your skills.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 AM
carld2002

I am not ready to buy a radio yet.

Sometime down the road, I will but not now or anytime soon.

Not looking for a scratchbuilt either.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Check out the Multiplex line. I have heard good things about the MiniMag. It can be built with 3 or 4 channels, upgraded to brushless power. Available as a kit, PNP or RTF.
http://www.multiplexusa.com/
Old 12-04-2007, 02:20 AM
carld2002

That's a nice looking plane.

it just seems too expensive for what I am looing for.

I am looking for a fairly cheap aileron trainer that I can take out of the box and just fly.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:21 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

I am not ready to buy a radio yet.

Sometime down the road, I will but not now or anytime soon.

Not looking for a scratchbuilt either.
But what we're saying is, as soon as you're ready for your second plane, you save money by getting a radio and going with ARF kits. When you go with the RTF stuff, you are paying extra for the radio, and usually it's crap.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:25 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I am looking for a fairly cheap aileron trainer that I can take out of the box and just fly.
I have found, in this hobby, the less money you think you're spending, the more you end up wasting.

spend your money on the things you'll be keeping.

but, it's your money.

You asked for advice, we're giving it.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

If you can use the T-28 Tx, you might be able to get something descent in the air for $150, but there aren't many good options unless you find something used.

The MiniMag PNP is $120 at Tower. You could probably find it cheaper, but even so you would have to add a Rx and a battery.

If you don't mind waiting a couple weeks you could try HobbyCity.com in Hong Kong. They have dirt-cheap stuff there and user reviews so you can find something that others think is okay. Just don't order anything that is backordered.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:59 AM
carld2002

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
But what we're saying is, as soon as you're ready for your second plane, you save money by getting a radio and going with ARF kits. When you go with the RTF stuff, you are paying extra for the radio, and usually it's crap.
If i was to buy another radio, it would be for at least the fourth plane but that won't be for a long time.

I am looking for opinions on things more in the aerobird or wing dragion level. (though definately not limited to those aircraft)

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
I have found, in this hobby, the less money you think you're spending, the more you end up wasting.

spend your money on the things you'll be keeping.

but, it's your money.

You asked for advice, we're giving it.
The thing is, you suggested the t-t28 because you said it was a good plane.

So, I changed my list and asked for one as a present.

Then you told me that it would make a good third plane.

So I am now looking to get a cheap mid level trainer as my second plane for the transition because it is too late to change what I am asking for again.

I need a trainer plane, not a radio. The radio that comes with the trojan will be fine for an entry-level arf plane i'm sure.

I have to thank you guys though. I started this thread looking for something to screw around with once in a while.... I ended up entering the sport of rc flying. (and with a trainer) Maybe I shouldn't... I will soon have triple the value that I wanted to spend origionally haha.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:06 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Fly the T-28 I say! Get as good as you can get with your 3 channel plane and the simulator and fly that T-28 on Christmas day! Then re-charge the batteries and fly it again!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 03:24 AM
carld2002

Originally Posted by D Payne View Post
Fly the T-28 I say! Get as good as you can get with your 3 channel plane and the simulator and fly that T-28 on Christmas day! Then re-charge the batteries and fly it again!!!
So you don't think that i will need an aileron trainer?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:39 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

So you don't think that i will need an aileron trainer?
If you want a 4 channel trainer then I will once again suggest the WingDragon4 .....After it, you will be more than ready for the t-28...
Also I believe it comes with decent Rx and servos that can be used in your 4th plane....or do like a lot of guys here do, and use the wingdragon4 as a platform for aerial photography....
Old 12-04-2007, 03:47 AM
carld2002

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy View Post
If you want a 4 channel trainer then I will once again suggest the WingDragon4 .....After it, you will be more than ready for the t-28...
Also I believe it comes with decent Rx and servos that can be used in your 4th plane....or do like a lot of guys here do, and use the wingdragon4 as a platform for aerial photography....
I was definately considering the wing dragon 4.

It seems like a good value for the price.

A question... would it be faster than my sky fly?

What do you other guys think of the wing dragon 4? How about the aerobird swift?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:53 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

You're not understanding though... If you spend $200 (or even less) on a radio now, you could build 4 more planes for $400 (or less), but 4 RTFs would be more like $800 (or more)

Having a universal radio saves you a ton of money. It is the one thing that all your planes need. And learning how to wire up planes means you can re-use parts if you want to retire one and build another one with those parts. For example, you could build one of these for $20, because all you would buy is the foam:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/yak55.htm

Or you could build a Stryker for $100, or a Brio for $150, or a Formosa for $50, etc, etc...
Old 12-04-2007, 03:58 AM
carld2002

I do understand but what I need is a trainer to learn on before I fly my t-28 and crash it into the ground.

You are not understanding that I plan to buy one eventually but it is not what I need right now.

After the two trainers and the trojan, I will probably never buy rtf again.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:30 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

but that would be three useless radios kicking around.

oh nevermind

do what you will...
Old 12-04-2007, 04:47 AM
carld2002

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
but that would be three useless radios kicking around.

oh nevermind

do what you will...
As opposed to two radios and a hunk of destroyed foam?

Quick Reply: Aircraft reccomendations for new flyers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10267 seconds with 11 queries