Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Hobby Store Franchises?

Old 10-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Update --> My website is really starting to take off... I've managed to convince GWS to allow me to be an offical GWS Retailer, so now I can buy from GWS at a discount for resale on my web site.

I hope that this gets my foot in the door, and I can use it to convince other wholesalers (like E-Flite) to buy from them at wholesale as well.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:40 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Are you deciding to remain internet-based, and forgo the brick-n-mortar storefront?
Old 10-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Nope -- I'm still moving forward with the brick-and-mortar storefront... I'm just doing my best to build my customer base between now and then.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:02 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Sweet! Sounds like a winner to me......
Old 10-22-2008, 06:39 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Update --> My website is really starting to take off... I've managed to convince GWS to allow me to be an offical GWS Retailer, so now I can buy from GWS at a discount for resale on my web site.

I hope that this gets my foot in the door, and I can use it to convince other wholesalers (like E-Flite) to buy from them at wholesale as well.

Congrads man. GWS is a good connection and we need a few more GWS dealers this way. So tell me, I need a GREAT price on a BEC.... lol...

Good luck LL, you seem to have devised a plan to make it all work now!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:41 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

So, Guy........

What will my Zero run me?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

LOL -- don't worry guys -- my GWS prices will be good.

I'm waiting for a bunch (a package of 90) of 8x6HD props to become available -- when it's available, I will place my first order. At that time, I will update my web page...

If you are REALLY interested in a GWS BEC, or GWS Zero, please PM me, and I'll quote you a price.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:41 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Well, I hesitate to post this...

I'm currently a man between jobs... :o

This could be good news... but it sure feels like bad news...
Old 11-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Dang, Guy,

I hope you get your job situation worked out quickly!!
Old 11-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Yeah, it's (almost) an ideal time to open the hobby store... However, the economy is bad, it's too late to be open by Christmas, and all the money we had set aside to open the store was in the (ahem!) stock market... :o

We're still going to try to work it out... Time will tell...

In some respects, this is the event I was waiting for -- the catalyst to open my hobby store...
Old 12-05-2008, 07:23 PM
mmackin
Electrics Journeyman

Sorry, been following this thread for a little while now. I just happened upon it one day. I'm curious any update on the progress? I'm rooting for ya from the sidelines.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by mmackin View Post
Sorry, been following this thread for a little while now. I just happened upon it one day. I'm curious any update on the progress? I'm rooting for ya from the sidelines.
Thanks, mmackin. The funds which were put aside for me to open the business were in the stock market, and are currently worth about 40% of what they were this time last year.

In short, I don't have the money to open the store -- at the moment.

When the stock market rebounds, the money will be there again -- the big question is, how long will it take for the stock market to recover what it lost in the last 12 months? :o
Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Firestem4
inexorably eccentric

I'm sorry to hear that Guy. I hope things work out for you.

Its hitting everyone hard. I was talking today with a man who owns a business right next to where my dad works. He builds custom helicopters. (Very expensive helicopters. His cheapest model is $1,500 and it can reach $30,000) easily. Electric, nitro and Turbine powered.

His business is really doing bad right now.It isn't a store or anything but no one is buying these expensive helicopters right now. Before he moved in near my dad he worked out of his house (i think). I was hoping to see if he had any jobs available so we were talking for a while.

Unless things turn around he's going to have to pack up shop. Hopefully it happens soon.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:46 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Well, I have some good news to report. I found a job! I'll be doing the exact same job for a different company, in my same city. It took me 7 weeks and 5 days to land the job, but I got it.

My goal was to get a job on or before January 5, 2009. That way, there wouldn't be any gap in my employment history. As with everything I do, I met my goal -- I start my new job on January 5, 2009.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:12 AM
rcflyair

Whew, congrats dude. I recently did the extended time off thing, and it was not fun.

Now, when can I start ordering all that way cool GWS stuff, esp. props. For some reason, I seem to need lots and lots of props......
Old 12-31-2008, 04:25 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

They're already in stock!

Just check out my web page. If you don't see what you're looking for, let me know and I'll order it.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:51 AM
GaFlyBoy

I just found this thread....probally looked over this....but what is your web site?...I want my on Hobby Shop one day....I'm a small business owner for many years and right now the economy is not the best ....i wish you the best
Old 12-31-2008, 02:34 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Check his Sig "www.KarglUSA.com"
Old 01-01-2009, 01:43 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Well, I have some good news to report. I found a job! I'll be doing the exact same job for a different company, in my same city. It took me 7 weeks and 5 days to land the job, but I got it.

My goal was to get a job on or before January 5, 2009. That way, there wouldn't be any gap in my employment history. As with everything I do, I met my goal -- I start my new job on January 5, 2009.
Congrats Guy!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 01:20 AM
atlav8r
DJ at RCRN

Why buy a Franchise?
IMO a franchise is for an entrepreneur that does not know how to do it
A hobby franchise (again IMO) is the kiss of death or think about it this way. Take all of the money you take in each month and before you do or pay for anything else send 6%-10% of it off to someone else.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have but don't even think about starting unless you have at least 250K for inventory and then depending on where you want to put the store the $ for all of the build out and at least 6 months of free operating capital.

I also came out of the corporate world, High salary private jet the whole thing but this business is much harder.

Cliff

Hey guys,

So, what are some RC hobby store franchises? I can only find two:Are there others?

Also, I look forward to talking with anyone who has ever traveled down this same road.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Cliff,

I'm not really sure how to respond to your post. I read it the day you posted it, and I intentionally did not respond until now...

Originally Posted by atlav8r View Post
Why buy a Franchise?
IMO a franchise is for an entrepreneur that does not know how to do it
Yes, I would agree with your assessment -- "a franchise is for an entrepreneur that does not know how to do it" -- that's the whole point. If you would like to educate me on all the in's and out's of your business, then I can avoid going with the franchise. Is this something you would be interested in doing? Would you hire me as a manager in your store for 6 to 12 months, with the understanding that I would take the knowledge I gained and start my own business, which would be competition for you? There aren't many people who would be willing to do that... :o

A hobby franchise (again IMO) is the kiss of death or think about it this way. Take all of the money you take in each month and before you do or pay for anything else send 6%-10% of it off to someone else.
Sending 6% to 10% off to someone else is not realistic. The realistic number is 2.5%. Yes, it's still a lot of money, and it's based on the GROSS sales (so it is possible that you could send more money to the franchise than you make in a month) -- but that's how it works. If I could open the store myself, I'd do it -- but I'm a retail store virgin, and need someone to hold my hand... :o

I am happy to answer any questions you might have but don't even think about starting unless you have at least 250K for inventory and then depending on where you want to put the store the $ for all of the build out and at least 6 months of free operating capital.
Again, 250K is excessive. In today's LEAN environment, a more realistic number is $80K to $150K. If I wanted $250K of inventory, I would have gone with Hobby Town USA...

The "build out" is not a problem -- it's covered in the lease agreement, as is the first three months rent.

Six months of free operating capital is nice, but they've been saying the same thing about home finances (that you need 3 to 9 months of salary saved up, in case of emergency) -- but I've been operating with NO savings for the last 15 years, and I've been doing just fine.

That being said, I do understand what you are saying, and I think I have that covered... Maybe not a full 6 months of operating capital, but I will have something...

I also came out of the corporate world, High salary private jet the whole thing but this business is much harder.
Again, I find this difficult to believe. The three hobby stores in my town are operated by people who NEVER would survive in the corperate world. If they can do it, surely I can beat their pants off...

You know, I don't have to beat the top three hobby stores in the world -- I only have to beat the three hobby stores in my area...
Old 01-11-2009, 12:22 AM
atlav8r
DJ at RCRN

Again,
My offer is to answer any question you have regarding the starting and running of a profitable hobby shop from someone that is doing it and not trying to sell you anything.

Feel free to call me at the shop on any morning if you want to talk. My company www.atlantahobby.com and my background www.cliffwhitney.com is very open and my only modivation would be to help you and give you honest answers and councel to your questions.

Thanks
CW
Old 01-11-2009, 02:47 AM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Again, I find this difficult to believe. The three hobby stores in my town are operated by people who NEVER would survive in the corperate world. If they can do it, surely I can beat their pants off...
Believe it. I have known Cliff for a long time. You can take everything he said to the bank and draw interest off it.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Again,
My offer is to answer any question you have regarding the starting and running of a profitable hobby shop from someone that is doing it and not trying to sell you anything.

Feel free to call me at the shop on any morning if you want to talk. My company www.atlantahobby.com and my background www.cliffwhitney.com is very open and my only modivation would be to help you and give you honest answers and councel to your questions.

Thanks
CW
Okay Cliff. How about Saturday (or Sunday) morning? Shall I call the main phone number at your hobby store?

What time would be good for you? (Please keep in mind that Tulsa is one hour behind Atlanta.)
Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Wow, That was nice of Cliff. You dont see that happen everyday.

Quick Reply: Hobby Store Franchises?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13334 seconds with 13 queries