Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Dx61 questions

Old 10-11-2011, 11:15 AM
slipstick
Super Contributor

I have an Orange Rx in my old S400 glider and that gets to a fair height on good days....I've never had any worries with that. I guess if I ever flew big, fast, heavy models I might fork out for expensive Rxs but I don't. I have a few Spektrum Rxs but I'm not even sure which models they're in at the moment. I just haven't found it a problem.

I've only been to Bunny Hill a couple of times this season but that's not because I object to anything my fellow modellers fly....the weather has been the normal problem .

Steve
Old 10-11-2011, 04:01 PM
CNY_Dave

Well, I've got a DX5e and an OrangeRx (with satellite rx) for my .40 sized electric trainer (converted), I'm hoping that it works at least as far as my champ and T28 micros- they go far enough out for me, regardless of the size of the plane.

Dave
Old 10-18-2011, 01:14 PM
cheshireflyer

Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Well, I've got a DX5e and an OrangeRx (with satellite rx) for my .40 sized electric trainer (converted), I'm hoping that it works at least as far as my champ and T28 micros- they go far enough out for me, regardless of the size of the plane.

Dave
I think sometimes we are brain washed by what we read here and also by makers flashy adverts and so on.

So far so good with the cheap Orange receivers for me. I think the main point is to take care with installation and keep any RX well away from wires and other signal blocking items like bateries and engine blocks. This applies to all lakes of equipment of course.

At the weekend I took particular note of how high and far out I was comfortable flying with a 50 inch vintage model. In actual fact I don't think we fly that far away unless we happen to have big gliders or quater scale stuff.
As it happens I was flying with my new DX6i and A600 receiver but I am sure I would have been ok with an Orange receiver. Its just that it took me months to build the model from scratch and the A600 made me feel better. As I say its just brain washing but worked on me on this occasion.

I do use Orange in other models of the same span and higher speeds. The difference is that I feel personal pain when something I produced from a box of balsa parts is lost or damaged.

I am playing around with a JR TX I converted to Frsky and that works perfectly. In fact I shall put that system in an even bigger vintage model and have no worries at all having flown it on many flights in my old Easy* test bed.
The TX module and receiver cost me just 28. Again, sometimes we don't have faith unless gear costs us 100s of $.
Strange creatures are we not.

I only have the DX6i because I was 60 recently and was asked what I wanted.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:34 PM
CNY_Dave

I am wondering on my orange setup with satellite- one antenna pointing up, the other sideways? Both up? Both sideways? My micros all have the antenna sideways, and my TX always has the antenna bent sideways as recommended.

I am going to place my RX on one side wall about 1/3 of the way back in the main compartment under the wing, was going to place it high up, but maybe low down would be better, it will be sometimes shielded by the battery no matter where I put it.

The satellite RX I will place on the opposite side of the fuse as far back as possible (will be just behind the wing high up on the side).

Dave
Old 10-18-2011, 04:41 PM
cheshireflyer

I am wondering on my orange setup with satellite- one antenna pointing up, the other sideways? Both up? Both sideways? My micros all have the antenna sideways, and my TX always has the antenna bent sideways as recommended.

I am going to place my RX on one side wall about 1/3 of the way back in the main compartment under the wing, was going to place it high up, but maybe low down would be better, it will be sometimes shielded by the battery no matter where I put it.

The satellite RX I will place on the opposite side of the fuse as far back as possible (will be just behind the wing high up on the side).

Dave
Hi Dave

I did a lot of homework on this and it came out like this.

One receiver with antenna pointing frome nose to tail.
One receiver with antenna pointing from botom to top of fuselage. ( runway to sky when model is placed on the runway.

Just spin the pane around in all directions and pretend you are the TX antenna. Can you see one or the other (electricaly) at all times. Dont worry if you cant but as much of the time as possible.

Hope this helps.

Pete
Old 10-18-2011, 04:41 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

90 degree orientation is best...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Oct. 18 09.44.gif
Views:	80
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	154021  
Old 10-18-2011, 04:43 PM
CNY_Dave

90 relative to...? Relative to the horizontal antenna on the TX?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:46 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

To each other - see the pic I just added for clarity.

Mike
Old 10-18-2011, 04:46 PM
cheshireflyer

90 relative to...? Relative to the horizontal antenna on the TX?
Remember being a kid playing cops and robbers using your hand as a gun. Thimb vertical - index finger horizontal as the barrel.
Hols your hand like that at the side of the plane pointing to either the nose or tali and that is how the antenas need to be.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:13 PM
CNY_Dave

Yes, more general rule I guess is if at any orientation you are looking at just the ends, end-on (end at the RX or free end) you done screwed up.

So key for me will be making sure I won't be looking at an and of the sat RX wire when the main rx is in the battery or motor shadow.

Dave
Old 10-19-2011, 10:49 AM
cheshireflyer

Yes, more general rule I guess is if at any orientation you are looking at just the ends, end-on (end at the RX or free end) you done screwed up.

So key for me will be making sure I won't be looking at an and of the sat RX wire when the main rx is in the battery or motor shadow.

Dave

Dead right can't add anything to that.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:22 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by cheshireflyer View Post
I think sometimes we are brain washed by what we read here and also by makers flashy adverts and so on.

So far so good with the cheap Orange receivers for me. I think the main point is to take care with installation and keep any RX well away from wires and other signal blocking items like bateries and engine blocks. This applies to all lakes of equipment of course.

At the weekend I took particular note of how high and far out I was comfortable flying with a 50 inch vintage model. In actual fact I don't think we fly that far away unless we happen to have big gliders or quater scale stuff.
As it happens I was flying with my new DX6i and A600 receiver but I am sure I would have been ok with an Orange receiver. Its just that it took me months to build the model from scratch and the A600 made me feel better. As I say its just brain washing but worked on me on this occasion.

I do use Orange in other models of the same span and higher speeds. The difference is that I feel personal pain when something I produced from a box of balsa parts is lost or damaged.

I am playing around with a JR TX I converted to Frsky and that works perfectly. In fact I shall put that system in an even bigger vintage model and have no worries at all having flown it on many flights in my old Easy* test bed.
The TX module and receiver cost me just 28. Again, sometimes we don't have faith unless gear costs us 100s of $.
Strange creatures are we not.

I only have the DX6i because I was 60 recently and was asked what I wanted.
Don't know about the Orange receivers, but the last hard copy issue of the now defunct RC Report magazine did a study on the Spektrum/JR/Futaba 2.4 Ghz radio systems. They put the top of the line Spektrum/JR receiver at the top of the list, with Futaba close behind.

Both of these receivers had solid signals line of sight from the transmitter of three MILES. The Futaba receiver was a little more susceptible to interference when many other 2.4 Ghz transmitters were turned on. These tests were conducted several years ago, and it's likely that performance on these radio systems has changed.

So, if you've got a off brand receiver that only gets one mile range under optimum conditions, and because of installation issues, you only get 50% of that mile, you've still got a model so far out, you can't see it to fly it. (Back in the mid 1980's I was part of a team that did cross country racing with 14 foot wingpspan sailplanes. Some of those models were tracked at over 6000 feet altitude by full size airplanes. Take you eye off of a model that far away, and its very difficult to find again.)
Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default New Question

While checking the Set up on my Dart (a delta wing) I accidently hit the reset function on the model set up. Figuring it was no big deal I just went through the setting to return things they were they suposed to be setup. However for some reason when I push the right stick to the right I have down ailerons and right is up and when I push down on the the stick I have left turn and up is right. So I switched the wires on the Rx no change Tried reversed setting on Tx no change other than opposite. Switched back the wires back on Rx left the TX reverse on and no change. Tried as many combinations as I can come up with. What Gives? I am now totally confused can someone help??? I no longer remeber or can see which wire is the right servo or left. SO I am just totally confused now
Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
However for some reason when I push the right stick to the right I have down ailerons and right is up and when I push down on the the stick I have left turn and up is right.

Ummmm, what? While I don't understand that at all, I'll just ask since it's a wing, did you turn on the mixing again?
Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

nope did not mess with mixing at all. Neither before or now and I do have it set for Elevon Wing Type has me stumped.

Last edited by Fishbonez; 11-28-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:23 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Well, that sentence still has me stumped. If you can describe it better, and your delta wing setup(Elevons?), I'm sure someone will be able to help. I'm trying to go over that sentence again and again, but I can't figure out what you're trying to say. Well maybe it's me. It's past my bed time, I'll check again in the morning, as I'm curious.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:28 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well I can be kinda confusing with my lack of typing skills so I will try again.

While checking the Set up on my Dart (a delta wing) I accidently hit the reset function on the model set up. Figuring it was no big deal I just went through the settings to return things back to where they were suposed to be. However for some reason when I push the right stick to the right I have down ailerons and when I push the stick to the right I have up. When I push down on the the stick I have left turn and when I push up on the right I have right turn. So I switched the wires on the Rx no change Tried reversed setting on Tx no change other than opposite. Switched back the wires back on Rx left the TX reverse on and no change. Tried as many combinations as I can come up with. What Gives? I am now totally confused can someone help??? I no longer remeber or can see which wire is the right servo or left. SO I am just totally confused now.

Hope that is better
Old 11-28-2011, 10:26 AM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
However for some reason when I push the right stick to the right I have down ailerons and when I push the stick to the right I have up. When I push down on the the stick I have left turn and when I push up on the right I have right turn.
Hope that is better
Push right get down, push right get up ? Push up on the right to get right ? That's not a lot better.

Try going back to the basics. I think this is still a DX6i, and the plane has elevons, right ? And I think you're saying the elevator function is showing up on what should be the aileron control (RH stick, left/right) while the aileron function is on the elevator control (RH stick, up/down). Is that right ? So what WingTailMix do you have set and what Rx channels are the servos connected to ?

Steve
Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Bonez, we have to assume since it's a delta you're using elevons? Go to page 43 of the Dx6i manual, and start reading. It'll show you what you need to do.

To figure out which servo is which now, just plug one connector in and see which one moves, then mark a small piece of tape and wrap it on it's wire.

Hope this will help. Sounds like your getting frustrated and more confused. Just take it one step at a time.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:20 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

OK I checked everything out and I believe I have everything hooked up correctly yet no change. SInce my question was confusing while typing it in I made a video and I will add it as soon as Youtube is done uploading. I appreciate all the help thus far. For me this is a head scratcher. I have never had a problem like this before. I have a gut feeling the answer is right in front of my face but I just dont see it.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:21 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

OK, I'll be watching. Meanwhile, at the risk of being accused of hijacking a thread, here's some more examples of mixed up communication, pireps and their solutions from full scale aircraft:

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on back-order.

P: Autopilot in altitude hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute
descent.
S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
S: That's what friction locks are for.

P: IFF inoperative in OFF mode.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.
S: Suspect you're right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.
S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.

And the best one for last..................

P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget
pounding on something with a hammer.
S: Took hammer away from midget.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:31 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

xmech2k that is great. I have seen it before and as a member of the Air Force and a Vehicle Mechanic we see that kinda stuff a lot. We often chuckle and laugh at the folks who wrote them up. I guess now karma has now gotten the best of me My favorite write up was the thingy underneath my truck is broken LOL\

the Youtube uploader is incredibly slow today or my Internet connection must be lagging. The video is only 15% uploaded so... I appreciate your help and patience with me
Old 11-29-2011, 04:28 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

OK. Well, it's bed-time for me, so I'll check in the AM. I figured most people here have seen those, but I figured it would be a little fun to see again while we wait.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:31 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Yes I apologize and definitly did not expect you to wait on me. 33% so I guess it will definitly be in the morning before it gets done. Just my luck that when I need something to be fast I get slow
Old 11-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Question Question in video form HELP is needed

Well it took far to long but here is the video of my question. I hope this help explain my question a bit better.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcMEzIM4LOI[/media]
I eager await your replies
thanks in advance
Fishbonez

Quick Reply: Dx61 questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17072 seconds with 16 queries