Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Reload this Page >

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Master Onion 5

The name is mostly a derivative of my favorite game, Master of Orion, and my favorite TV show, Babylon 5. I had used Anlashok meaning "rangers" from Babylon 5 for a while, until online Xbox gamers thought it meant rear-end electrical shock! For the record, I don't like onions.

I figure I am nearing my plane limit when I run out of slots on my radio (30, but can up/download to my PC!), or more importantly when my basement is full! I read in one forum about a guy that had 500 planes! I have seen some of my fellow club members' full garages and have realized I might look like that some day... The only solution I have so far is to not buy more until I finish the ones I have, and build giant scale next so it takes a while.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:39 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Welcome, Onion! That sounds about like me - I was up to 12-15 or so after a year.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:55 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Welcome MO....

Sounds like you will be busy this winter. The Radian Pro thread details a few ways to program the Pro. Time to get her out of the floresent basement lights and into the sun for some flight time! I believe AEAJR can get you the right settings depending on what your using for a TX. Have fun..and happy flying!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 AM
sirdrakejr

I have been flying models since 1953 when I had a 1/2A wing control liner. Then I had a lapse while I was in the service and then married and started a family. Then moved on the RC in 1963 with gas jobs and a Bonner system. In 1969 I built a Heathkit GD-19 5 channel system and also had a MRC 5 channel system. I spent time in Alaska and didn't do much there. I went totally to gliders in 1983 to get away from the mess of gas. Although I didn't fly often enough to get "good" I still enjoyed them and took a glider with me when I traveled on my job. Took another SHORT break here in Las Vegas because I couldn't find a field to fly in. After a few more years I am active again and enjoying gliding and electrics. You can see some of how much I enjoy the flying by reading the club newsletters I put out for three years at the LVSC website with www as the opener lasvegassoaringclub.com/newsletter.htm

Frank
Old 09-20-2011, 02:56 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome! Thats a lot on the wish list!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:45 AM
vvabello

This is a great site
Old 09-20-2011, 04:51 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Welcome to WF Vvabello...what are you flying these days!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:20 PM
molokaiboy

Aloha and Welcome!! Have fun theres a lot of great info and great people here.

Les
Old 09-23-2011, 04:44 PM
cheshireflyer

[QUOTE=SARG5;833155]Les.---- Take a hard look at the Multiplex EasyStar another is the
Sky Surfer. These two planes are great trainers.
Find a local RC club. DO NOT TRY TO LEARN ON YOUR OWN!!!!!!!!!
Follow these folks here on this thread, they will keep you going.
SARG5

Absolutely.

My route after many years of failed attempts was :

FMS simulator - free off the web. - hours of practice on that.

Easystar
Twinstar

Britflight D-Zee aerobatic trainer.

Its Ok to go it alone after MANY hours on a simulator and reading up on safety points. Its much easier if you have an expert at your side though.

Remember Simulator first!

Pete
Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 PM
CNY_Dave

A great way to learn much (not all!) on your own is also to get started with a micro.
Stick-time is what counts, even if on a micro.

Dave
Old 09-23-2011, 04:55 PM
cheshireflyer

Default Get some in

Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
A great way to learn much (not all!) on your own is also to get started with a micro.
Stick-time is what counts, even if on a micro.

Dave

Like driving a car, what you are looking for is automatic reaction just like when a child runs out into the road. No time to think - reaction cuts in. It is the same with this hobby you will suddenly realise that the mind / hand conection has been made. After that just enjoy !

Good luck

Pete
Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 PM
bobby73
bobby73

I am signed up as well. I hope this site becomes very sucessful.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Flywhat2
One hitch AE1 -- USN

Default Fly Anything!!

Bobby73, Glad you're here!! Does 73 have any reference to your age? (Hope thats not too impolite!), I'm 80 myself and only been doing RC for just over two years. I tried on my own with a Graupner foam Cub, Got it up to about 50 feet and lost it. never did have a successful landing. Finally wrecked it against corner of house.
Then I bought a little E-flight Mcx heli. Had fun and learned about anticipating and which way to move sticks depending on heli orientation, etc.
Then I found FMS flight sim. Practiced all one winter on it with different planes I like. Learned a lot regardless of what some folks say. Got invited to fly with some friends of a friend and their expert pilot put me on a buddy box with the club trainer (Sig high wing w/ailerons). Learned a lot there.
Got a GWS Slow Stick and learned to take-off and land in a local park. Also built a couple other slow flyers which I flew with some success (with a lot of repairs). Last one is called the Split Stick (see thread here in WF). Built from plans in late 2010 issue of Parkflyer mag, 24"WS, 3mm foam wing and tail, easy to build and repair and cheap. I have learned a LOT from flying her and only rebuilt once. haven't crashed her in many flights now.
Object of this lengthy discourse is, don't worry too much about how big or how many features your first couple planes are/have. Just get something reasonable (preferrably high wing, dihedral and not too fast) repairable, and fly the beans out of it!! I still reccomend FMS simulator to beginners. The price is right for us and it CAN teach you to fly as well as any other. I tried Realflight and then FMS, and I like FMS just as well. I'm sure good pilots will find Realflight to be more challenging, etc but for beginners, just learning which way to move the sticks without thinking about it is challenge enough!!

Best of luck to all us newbies! and as someone here said "If you're not crashing, you're not flying enough!!"

Check out Split Stick. Not fancy, not big, no retracts, just a nice slow flyer which has taught me, at least, much about RC flying!

Best wishes, Fly
Old 09-24-2011, 09:23 PM
munkee

Im a new signup! Got my first toy a week ago Art Tek Spitfire V2 =]
Old 09-26-2011, 03:13 AM
D Michael

Default Questions

Hello, how do I ask question using this forum?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:18 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by D Michael View Post
welcome to wattflyer! ask away,, we'll help point you where to go or maybe just help you on this thread, There lot's of threads here on Ton's of stuff with LOTS of info,,,bubsteve
Old 09-26-2011, 03:20 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by munkee View Post
Im a new signup! Got my first toy a week ago Art Tek Spitfire V2 =]
Cool munkee! welcome here! let's hear more and a flight report as well,,bubsteve
Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool How to ask a question

Originally Posted by D Michael View Post

The forum is divided into sections, like chapters in a text book. If you click here you see the sections that are directly related to flying electric airplanes
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Then there are sub-forums. You see General, Beginner, Foamies, Ducted Fans and others. These are devoted to particular topics within electric flying.

This link goes to the beginner forum which is usually be best place so start when you are first learning.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Before you ask a question it is best to take a look in the forum that seems to be best matched to your question to see if there is a discussion thread related to your question or perhaps to your plane or the charger you want to know about, etc.

At the top of each forum are "sticky threads" or discussions that the moderators feel are so valuable we always want them to appear at the top. I suggest you take a look at these as they are usually so valueable you don't want to miss them.

For example, within the beginner forum there are:

Six Keys to Success For New Pilots
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18

Everything you wanted to know about Electric Flight
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31368

This thread, were we are speaking now, is a general welcome thread. My suggestion is for you to find a thread that is more closesly related to your question rather than asking it here.

Hijacking a thread

I bring this up because people can get testy if you go into a thread on, say helicopeters, and ask questions about your super cub. That is WAY off topic. Kinda like the guy who interrupts a conversation were everyone is talking about cars and starts to talk about his living room carpeting. People give him a weird look and sometimes they walk away.

This is called "hijaking a thread" and it is not a nice thing to do. As a moderator I get complaints about people "hijacking threads" asking me to delete the offenDing posts. It kinda hurts when people delete your posts. If it happens, this may be the reason.

SEARCH

In the upper right corner, just above the discussions, is the SEARCH feature. Here you can put in a word or two that will search for useful information. For example, if you have a Hobbyzone Super Cub, you can put that in and it will bring up discussions that have information about that plane which may have your answer AND tons of other good information you never event thought to ask.

STARTING A NEW THREAD/DISCUSSION

Lastly, if you don't find what you need, there is the NEW THREAD button in the upper left, just above the threadd/discussions. Click that and post a new topic or question.

YOu don't have to do any of this, but if you want to be a good forum citizen I would suggest this is what you do before you drop your questions into random threads and people start throwing daggers at you for hijacking unrelated threads.

There is a wealth of information on Wattflyer. The good thing is just about any question you might have has has probably been asked and answered 1000 times. And variations of the answers are right there for you to read.

I hope you find this useful. Learning where to find things is the first lesson everyone needs to learn. It makes Wattflyer much more useful.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 PM
D Michael

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:17 AM
bobby73
bobby73

Default thanks Flywhat2

Originally Posted by Flywhat2 View Post
Bobby73, Glad you're here!! Does 73 have any reference to your age? (Hope thats not too impolite!), I'm 80 myself and only been doing RC for just over two years. I tried on my own with a Graupner foam Cub, Got it up to about 50 feet and lost it. never did have a successful landing. Finally wrecked it against corner of house.
Then I bought a little E-flight Mcx heli. Had fun and learned about anticipating and which way to move sticks depending on heli orientation, etc.
Then I found FMS flight sim. Practiced all one winter on it with different planes I like. Learned a lot regardless of what some folks say. Got invited to fly with some friends of a friend and their expert pilot put me on a buddy box with the club trainer (Sig high wing w/ailerons). Learned a lot there.
Got a GWS Slow Stick and learned to take-off and land in a local park. Also built a couple other slow flyers which I flew with some success (with a lot of repairs). Last one is called the Split Stick (see thread here in WF). Built from plans in late 2010 issue of Parkflyer mag, 24"WS, 3mm foam wing and tail, easy to build and repair and cheap. I have learned a LOT from flying her and only rebuilt once. haven't crashed her in many flights now.
Object of this lengthy discourse is, don't worry too much about how big or how many features your first couple planes are/have. Just get something reasonable (preferrably high wing, dihedral and not too fast) repairable, and fly the beans out of it!! I still reccomend FMS simulator to beginners. The price is right for us and it CAN teach you to fly as well as any other. I tried Realflight and then FMS, and I like FMS just as well. I'm sure good pilots will find Realflight to be more challenging, etc but for beginners, just learning which way to move the sticks without thinking about it is challenge enough!!

Best of luck to all us newbies! and as someone here said "If you're not crashing, you're not flying enough!!"

Check out Split Stick. Not fancy, not big, no retracts, just a nice slow flyer which has taught me, at least, much about RC flying!

Best wishes, Fly
thanks Flywhat2, i was born in 1973 and its my third saisons of flying. i start whit fms and built my first epp hellcat whit a friend and i learn to fly, after 2 months the plane was too heavy , too much epoxy to repair all the crashs.i built an other one...and i built a p-47 thunderbolt last year and now i just built a yak-55 3d. we fly 3 evening a week and we heve a lot of fun. i post videos if you want to see

thanks again for the nice welcome and i like that "If you're not crashing, you're not flying enough!!"
Old 10-13-2011, 08:30 PM
JV's89

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and the sport. I went from zero to six planes in the short span of about two months. Some of them are even still in one piece

I started out with a Sky Ranger followed by a couple of Champs, a couple of Super Cubs and finally a Parkzone Corsair.

Needless to say I'm addicted to these things. The corsair has been a little challenging, but the little plastic guy inside is still alive and kicking - although I'm pretty sure he's developing a drinking problem.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 PM
FLOYD V. ULRICH

Most plastic little guys in planes have a drinking problem. Got to the point the little guy drank more than me. I flew the wheels off an LT 40 . This goes back about 17 years. I am pushing 83 and still interested in the hobby. I have not flown a plane in the last two years but I am on Whattflyer almost every day. Get something slow and foregiving and have fun. The bumps along the way are a learning curve.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:29 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome JV!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Alaskan Flyer

Hello All,
I am new to the forum and to the addiction...er hobby. I bought a Blade MCX2 Heli about 2 weeks ago. The factory transmitter didn't trim everything out well enough for me so I bought a DX6i. Then I bought MSR heli (just waiting on it to arrive) already had to get half a dozen lipo batteries just to keep flying. Ordered a sim today. I have been looking at the HZ Super Cub for a first trainer. But with snow on the ground now It will be about a month before there is enough snow cover to be able to land and take off without hitting tall grass and weeds. The Local flying club runway is closed for the winter. I will be going to my first club meeting begining of next month. As if you could not tell... I cought the bug bad!

Alaskan
Old 10-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome to Wattflyer Alaskan!

Quick Reply: Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16588 seconds with 13 queries