Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

i know what you mean, yesterday a pilot maiden a 2.6 meter electric sail plane he bought from nitro planes.....i tossed it in the air and it looked beautiful. looked like it would float 30 to 1 ratio,he flew a few passes by the pits.....anyway,he start to do a dive and SNAP!!WINGS FOLDED. i went with him to pick it up and couldn't believe the damage. fuse destroyed .....the wings were supported by a 1/4"round carbon fiber rod that snapped. how can a wing with 2.6 meter span be supported by that thin a carbon fiber rod,thats cheap construction. when i saw him arrive at the field i was very impressed.......when i left with my birds intact i was alittle depressed for that guys wreckage.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

This isn't about a crash that has happened but one that surely will. I was in a LHS a couple weeks ago and the elder salesman was talking to a sixty or so year old very well dressed grandmother. She was there with her seven or eight year old grandson and they were looking for a plane. The boy had no flying experience and I heard no mention of flight sims. There was some talk of the HZ Super Cub and Mini SC but he convinced her that these were poor choices because of inferior radios. 290 dollars later they walked out with a Nextar Mini EP.

The salesman obviously felt no guilt but I felt guilty.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:57 AM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

Actually last Sunday. Cause was item #1. I had been flying a Venom Island Hopper, an old glow Sterling Fledgling, and a Park Zone micro P-51 in the 7 mph gusts with no trouble. Even got a flight with a Revell Piloto. So I took out the BNF Parkzone Sukhoi Su 26. Bad move. Plane MUCH more sensitive to controls than the same size and weight P-51. Fuse now in 3 pieces, but repairable.

Will not crash this afternoon after the club meeting. Guaranteed. No damage will happen to the planes I have in the car, unles something lides around.

41st Wedding Anniversary, and this time the wife wrote it down on the calendar. (she sometimes forgets it, I haven't yet!) Staying to fly could be suicidal.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Default Great Planes Electrostik EP looking for elevator help

Off for a couple weeks vacation so went out last week and bought an Electrostik EP

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma7500.html

When I set the plane up I was surprised that the specified elevator travel was so tiny. +- 1/4 inch on high rate, +- 1/8 inch low rate, but rechecked the manual and set it up that way. Put it up the first time this morning, first flight went OK, needed a few clicks up elevator, but pretty uneventful. Wind picked up a little but not too bad so went up for a second flight. On second flight, from the outset I was having a tough time keeping the nose up, especially after making a fairly tight turn from down wind to upwind. Had to roll the plane over a fair amount to turn, loosing altitude as expected, and in spite of having the stick completely back, and rolled back level, the plane continued to nose dive. Just missed the ground on one pass, and a couple passes later clipped a wing on a tree. Took out one wing and impacted the ground shortly after. The fuse is repairable, and I have ordered a new wing
The plane balanced at the spec point on set up, and I am pretty sure I had the battery at the point I marked, but could not verify it afterward as it appeared the battery had slid forward on impact in spite of being velcroed down and strapped. The battery was secure enough on set up to stay in place despite being upside down and shaking it.

Looked at a friend's EFlite Ultra Stick 25

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...5#quickSupport

which is a little smaller airplane with a slightly larger elevator surface, elevator throws on it are 3/4 inch low rate, one inch high rate

Anyone else flying this plane or similar, what elevator throws are you using? The spec throws seem a little under powered to me but???
Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 PM
park
Clear !

Those look like fun! I've been flying my Apprentice and MM P-38 at least once a week.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 PM
TalonOne
Crasher of things built..

Well not exactly a crash....but possibly more scary.

Last night after a great session flying with my son I went in the house to recharge all of the lipo battery packs and get ready for the next time we can fly.

I charged off one of the packs and went on to the second pack....a questionable pack.......it had only about half the normal time.....but I set it up to chaerge anyway.....and walked away.

While watching the tube and sipping a cold one.....I heard my wife scream from the dining room......and as I ran over there the pack had exploded into flames!!! on my counter top.....I quickly grabbed a jacket off of a chair and smothered it , and my son came running in with a pitcher of water to help out.

WE got it out...but the lesson is <FOLLOW CHARGING INSTRUCTIONS>

Charge in a safe place with batts in a firebox of some sort. And pay attention to them.

I had gotten lazy and just therew my packs on the charger right there at the table.

Dumb idea........and I almost caught the whole house on fire.

BE SAFE....

TalonOne

Over and out!!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:30 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Default Who crashed today?

This guy did! Glad everyone was OK, but the onboard video is awesome!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/loc...hes-at-na.html
Old 06-09-2010, 10:59 AM
ArneH
Balsa Builder

Sorry for that fine old airplane! This was an expensive landing. Typically the photographer on the field mowed the camera in the critical moment.
Glad they where OK too, and thanks for sharing.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:26 PM
cheshireflyer

This happened last Sunday.

I flew my Easy Star for about an hour and then decided to try a plane "Cherub" a power glider which I bought last year. This is an all balsa ARf model from Overlander.
It is s400 powered . This was the first and last flight.

Launched into wind - climbed nicely but needed down trim. I input a little rudder to keep within the field. She starts to turn then -------- Nose down, full power and straight in the deck - no control at all.

I walked over to the the hedge behind which Chrub crunched. I leaned the tranny (35 FM) against the hedge and retrieved the bits - too many for a rebuild. I went back for the tranny the aeriel looked strange. I went to push in the ariel and it fell in half and a small brass plate fell out. I have owned the gear (JR) for several years but it has only had a few hours use.

As the radio was still working in what was left of the plane and the tranny next to the model it seems that the aeriel must have come adrift when I extended it to fly. It must have gone out of range because in effect I was flying with half an eariel so the tuning of the tranny would have go way out of limits.

Lesson learned. Check tranny aeriels now and then and make sure they are as they should be.
Now I have to peruade my wife that its a good idea to buy another Cherub. Wish me luck lol.
I am so glad it was not the easy star as that has become my best flying mate.

Pete
Old 06-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Dang Pete, what bad luck. I've left antennas down but not had one come apart!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:08 PM
cheshireflyer

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Dang Pete, what bad luck. I've left antennas down but not had one come apart!
Yes it never happened to me beore over many years of boat modelling.
I feel stupid as I was trained in radio and TV so should have been one person to be checking things like this.
If I had been on 2.4 it would have locked into all neutral and motor off. In that case I would probably have lost it as it is/was a real floater.

Well new aeriel is on the way as I type

Pete
Old 06-15-2010, 09:53 PM
cptdragn
If it flys,I can crash it

I didn't. Then again, Pretty much no one was able to fly ( legally ) much less crash from gulfport,ms to pensacola,fl due to the president being in the area.
The whole airspace is closed to aircraft including R/C until he leaves some time today.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:50 PM
dumo01
dumo01

Originally Posted by cptdragn View Post
I didn't. Then again, Pretty much no one was able to fly ( legally ) much less crash from gulfport,ms to pensacola,fl due to the president being in the area.
The whole airspace is closed to aircraft including R/C until he leaves some time today.
I know the feeling. I see he is supposed to be in our area Friday, with good weather of course. At least I have to be at work for most of the day
Old 06-15-2010, 11:07 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

On Sunday I flew my newly designed and built Su-47 profile pusher jet. Did the maiden, and the wingtips separated right where the carbon spar ended! Took about 5" off the tips. Fortunately, she was able to continue flying until I landed her safely near my feet. Then went out and picked up the wingtips.

An hour of repairs at home (including more CF spar) and she's ready to go again. I have a thread on it over in the Pusher Park Jet forum.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:52 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

I did not crash today but I did Tuesday.

Had my worst one ever when I made a pilot error aka Brain Fart today. We usually take off into a 5/8mph wind. Today was unusually calm & I made a normal takeoff which meant I was about 5mph slow.

Instead to continuing onto the grass strip from the paved one I rotated & tried to lift off at the end of the paving. Instant slow motion stall.

Bad news; plane broke into 3 parts. Good news; most of the breaks are along poorly factory glued seams & the wings, tail, motor, battery, gear & electronics are undamaged so the plane will fly again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bdcrash.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	130528  

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-17-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

What plane is that, BEAR?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:15 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

Sr. Telemaster decaled to look like an L-4
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Y1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	130529   Click image for larger version

Name:	l4.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	130530  
Old 06-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Thanks, I like that.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:37 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Bear, should be able to fix that one no problem. And if that's your worst one so far, you're doing pretty good!

My worst was a Phase 3 F-16. ESC crapped out and locked up my radio. Full throttle 70mph straight into the ground. It was like a foam grenade had gone off!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:50 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

Agree, I have been very lucky so far coming out OK even when I screw up.

Have a really nice bunch of guys that I fly with at the field that have given me a lot of help. Makes all the difference in the world.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:08 PM
1320fastback

Man I hate posting in this thread

Crashed my EZ* today, I had forgot the canopy at home and decided to fly anyway as I have done it in the past without issue. Well I think my battery had shifted because I was getting a lot of porpoising and put her into a steep dive to bring it back to land and reset the battery. Well half way thru the dive the nose tucked under and ejected the battery out like a sling shot, the plane then went inverted wings level and floated to the ground with NO damage. I never did find the battery
Old 06-20-2010, 12:17 AM
tr4252

A friend came along to watch me fly a Hobbyzone Champ I recently bought to learn with, and brought along his English Bull Terrier. I remember remarking to him just before I landed it that this was my fifth flight, and I was starting to get the hang of it.

The dog, who'd shown little interest in the plane, bolted and reached it before we did. Commands from the owner didn't stop him. What he didn't break, he bent.

We haggled a little, and I got the price of a used plane from the guy. I've ordered one of those brushless converted Cubs from Nitro, and am looking forward to trying it out.

Tom
Old 06-20-2010, 01:18 AM
1320fastback

Yes Terriers like to hunt and kill things that move like rodents, rabbits, birds, rc cars and model airplanes

I leave mine at home.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:33 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Man I hate posting in this thread

Crashed my EZ* today, I had forgot the canopy at home and decided to fly anyway as I have done it in the past without issue. Well I think my battery had shifted because I was getting a lot of porpoising and put her into a steep dive to bring it back to land and reset the battery. Well half way thru the dive the nose tucked under and ejected the battery out like a sling shot, the plane then went inverted wings level and floated to the ground with NO damage. I never did find the battery
Hmmmmm, your Plane is telling you to never fly me again with out My Canopy on or else It cost you a Battery this time and it saved its self See, these planes really do have Feelings and will Grumble if you dont treat them Right
Old 06-20-2010, 02:53 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

flew today at warwick airport in ny in front of alot of people[4 clubs combined] and didn't crash...but for a brief moment in time i left a smoke trail in the sky and landed dead stick with out issues...lol....turnigy sk motor finaly gave up the ghost in flight. it was old and served me well in the uproar....sat back and watched others fly....good day .

Quick Reply: OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14979 seconds with 16 queries