learned a new trick to finding a down fpv wing. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

UAV / FPV Forum to talk about UAV / FPV electric R/C flight.

learned a new trick to finding a down fpv wing.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:34 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

Default learned a new trick to finding a down fpv wing.

What a beautiful day for flying today. Lots of fpv flight with only one mishap.

The Crashtesthobby wing was at the furthest part of our club field and my remote control tx browned out resulting in a death spiral. I knew it went down in the grass since I had video reception the whole way down until it went behind the hill.

Before I left in my car to drive the distance of the club field, a friend explained that if I still have video I can remove the circlepolerized antenna and replace it with the cheap dipole type. when you go to where your plane is downed just view the goggles and turn around a 360. at some point reception will breakup and get better. obviously when the reception has no static your pointing in the direction of your plane.

I drove to the other side of the field where I crashed and did the search starting by pointing at the vast open field in front of me .....I got static on the goggles view and could see clearly blades of grass. then I turned around and the picture got better behind me. I thought...crap! It's in the woods. Low and behold...it was 10ft behind me. In the grass patch thats right next to the woods. The dipole antenna idea worked fantastic and seriously I would have thought the wing was up the hill a bit from where I was first standing. if I had walked up and started my search there it would have been an exhaustive and a futile search.my car parked where it was blocked my view of the lil patch of grass it was in. to funny

No damage to the epp wing and it was up and flying as soon as i returned to the tables. What a great day!!!
Old 06-11-2016, 11:12 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Cool !
Old 06-12-2016, 12:18 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Another trick is to buy a tile. It's a 1x1 thin wafer that works with an app. Amazon sells them. Great for keys, phones, planes, etc. Will direct you to location
Pretty cool. Just Google Tile for lost items

Hawk
Old 06-12-2016, 07:15 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Another trick is to buy a tile. It's a 1x1 thin wafer that works with an app. Amazon sells them. Great for keys, phones, planes, etc. Will direct you to location
Pretty cool. Just Google Tile for lost items

Hawk
I looked at that .... but the price ! OK - its less than a model value. Its also Bluetooth as far as I could see - which means very limited range.

Maybe you could do a write up about it ? Give us some ranges that it works to ?

Me - I have the beeper alarms. If I have a spare channel - I like the ones I can activate by a switch, if not then its piggyback a channel. Only thing is - distance you can hear the beep depends on the mass of grass around the model !

Nigel
Old 06-12-2016, 01:25 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

+1 on the beeper. I have that also on all my planes and wings. I never had to use it this weekend as i turned around and the wing was in plain sight 10ft away behind where i was standing. on the Crashtest hobby I have a voltage checker locator alarm hooked up to an unused channel and switch activated[Louder than most locator beepers]. I have the beepers from HK on both 250 quads and a custom loud buzzer on the 650 sport quad hooked up to a HK rx switch. I also ordered 4 of the tiny alarms that go off after 1 minuted of channel unuse these came from HURC and if I turn off the transmitter they go off . these are not my fav to use as i don't like any devise connected to a servo used channel. still , they are cheap and better than nothing. I can put them on a switch and flip the switch every minute to keep it from going off.

Note: I installed tags from Loca8tor on the 250 guadrs because they are so small and discovered they don't work well if down in tall grass. I could hear my beeper clearly and the Loca8tor didn't go off till i was right on top of it. I will change the battery in both the tag and hand held locator and do a test.....better to test then wander around hoping something will work. if it improves i will free up one of the tags and start fastening it on each model being flown so it won't fall off in flight. I guess I'll always find the tags though....

Today is a Chapel picnic and winds are supposed to be 25 to 30 mph. later I will do a short video of the various buzzer/beepers and post it here.

The tile did look interesting but I also wonder if distance is an issue and really didn't research it yet. I think a small gps tag that works on a map off a smart phone would be the most awesome idea. and hopefully wounld'nt cost a fortune like the hand held Marcopolo devise.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:32 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I know this is way out of the price range at over $500 for a basic unit ...

But the SoloShot camera system uses GPS data and a range that is far more than sight.

If a model goes down - the camera always points towards the model ... so if down.... just walk with the camera and it will orientate in direction as you walk ... if it swings to left ... walk to the left etc.

But again I must say its over $500 for basic system ... WHEN YOU CAN GET IT !!

Nigel