FAA Releases Drone Registration Location Data - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

FAA Releases Drone Registration Location Data

Old 05-20-2016, 05:21 PM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Default FAA Releases Drone Registration Location Data

Well the list is out, at the bottom where it says "Browse the geographic listing of sUAS registry enrollments and registrants"

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/

The state/province and zip code of every FAA registered drone owner. Looks like I am the only one that registered in my zip...which I was afraid of since I know there are many 'drones' in my area.

I can personally name at least 15 people that apparently didn't register. So now I wonder if something happens in my zip if they go to this list and say "Oh...it must be this guy".
Old 05-20-2016, 05:33 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Yeah but no names or addresses.. yet.

This is just the number of registrants by zip code.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:41 PM
Brner
AMA16634

Originally Posted by P51 fan View Post
.......So now I wonder if something happens in my zip if they go to this list and say "Oh...it must be this guy".
You got it...lol Prime suspect number 1! Fortunately, we have 82 "prime suspects" in my area, that'll keep them busy for a bit anyway....
Old 05-20-2016, 06:07 PM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

You got it...lol Prime suspect number 1!
Yep, I probably hung myself trying to "go by the rules".
Old 05-20-2016, 07:39 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

We're from the government and we're here to help.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:48 PM
Bald Paul

I'm not worried. They can't even get my zip codes right - see attachments. One is a United States Postal Service list of the two zip codes for Boiling Springs, SC. The second is the list of zip codes the FAA has.

Stupid government can't get anything right. I'm just glad I got my $5 back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (18.9 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg
FAA Zips.JPG (15.0 KB, 242 views)
Old 05-20-2016, 10:24 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Why would Ozzies and UK people register their birds? Or are they living there?
Why bother.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:53 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

13 of us out here. Glad I live in the berbs instead of the sticks like we used to. 0 in that area.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:58 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Why would Ozzies and UK people register their birds? Or are they living there?
Why bother.
Don't worry... the UN will soon demand that all RC models be designated as weapons of mass destruction.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:02 AM
Porcia83

Yep, I probably hung myself trying to "go by the rules".
Not at all....if ya don't do nuthin wrong, ya won't get caught.

Although I don't think it would ever get to that point, the authorities can suspect all they want, but not proof = no problem.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:08 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post

Although I don't think it would ever get to that point, the authorities can suspect all they want, but not proof = no problem.
You've never dealt with the IRS where you are guilty until proven innocent.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:41 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

within a 10 mile radius miles of my town, our neighboring towns have on average are 35 to 50 folks in each town registered. that shows the popularity of rc in our local area. thats also 100's of pilots to consider if someone fly irresponsibly.

what is a bummer now that theres numbers in how many are owners of uav's that towns may decide they have to many and put more restriction in place.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:57 AM
birdDog
Charging....

So what purpose does this serve again?

Notice that there are about 40 different Chicago. chicago, cHicago, chicgo CHicago entries with various incorrect zip codes as well. Is this security theater or a comedy show?
Old 05-21-2016, 01:48 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
So what purpose does this serve again?

Notice that there are about 40 different Chicago. chicago, cHicago, chicgo CHicago entries with various incorrect zip codes as well. Is this security theater or a comedy show?
Did anyone notice (those who registered) were not required to provide "legal" proof of residency, photo ID, driver license, VISA, Passport. ect. or anything that could be traced back to a legit "concrete" place to search and detain..........?

Anyone could have used a BS address and zip code that matched whatever location (even AMA requirements do not ask for such).........That is why I'm involved with a group out here that is campaigning to require the dealer/vendor (even E-traders) who sell the unit as an ARF/RTF (specifically anything classified as a multi-rotor quad/octo or with a payload capacity over 1lb) to require the buyer to provide legal proof of residency that matches the credit card....pay pal and cash customers must also provide legal proof, just like an FFL would require for a firearms purchase here in California.............if the FFA wants to get serious about restrictions (and have the penalties stick in a court of law), then they should also get serious about the purchase requirements........quit puccie-footing around, and put some teeth on this bull-sheet..........

And no.....I have not registered any of my craft, nor do I intend to until the laws are completely resolved (approved by all jurisdictions) and have a proven court case precedent or a leg to stand on without being in court for a decade before my attorney fees expire to "maybe" get back in my possession, the $200.00 DRONE the authorities confiscated while I was flying it out in the middle of nowhere some place in rural California.....lol
Old 05-21-2016, 02:04 AM
Porcia83

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Did anyone notice (those who registered) were not required to provide "legal" proof of residency, photo ID, driver license, VISA, Passport. ect. or anything that could be traced back to a legit "concrete" place to search and detain..........?

Anyone could have used a BS address and zip code that matched whatever location (even AMA requirements do not ask for such).........That is why I'm involved with a group out here that is campaigning to require the dealer/vendor (even E-traders) who sell the unit as an ARF/RTF (specifically anything classified as a multi-rotor quad/octo or with a payload capacity over 1lb) to require the buyer to provide legal proof of residency that matches the credit card....pay pal and cash customers must also provide legal proof, just like an FFL would require for a firearms purchase here in California.............if the FFA wants to get serious about restrictions (and have the penalties stick in a court of law), then they should also get serious about the purchase requirements........quit puccie-footing around, and put some teeth on this bull-sheet..........
Nothing is really foolproof in terms of verification of ID, any form of this can be faked. No way for the FAA to really accept all those different means of ID either, I doubt the goal was to be able to track every single person back to a home. They did however require a credit card that for the most part (read "the majority) would be able to be tracked back. Yes, I know gift cards CC's were able to be used as well. I doubt the majority of people went to the time and effort to conceal themselves. Again, if you're not doing anything wrong, whats the real concern about being blamed for something? No hard proof...no worry.

Yes...IRS comment noted, apples to oranges comparison though, imo.

The reg process was created by, and managed by people, all subject to mistakes and errors like the rest of us. If that's the end of the govt's involvement, I would say it's smooth sailing after that. Yes, I know more involvement is possible.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:57 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

What I find amazing is the number of people who registered.

461433 Hobbyists
8417 Non Hobbyists

What percentage of RC flyers actually signed up? Maybe 25% ? If so, then you close to 2 million people are flying something.

Steve
Old 05-21-2016, 02:58 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Porcia83 View Post
Nothing is really foolproof in terms of verification of ID, any form of this can be faked. No way for the FAA to really accept all those different means of ID either, I doubt the goal was to be able to track every single person back to a home. They did however require a credit card that for the most part (read "the majority) would be able to be tracked back. Yes, I know gift cards CC's were able to be used as well. I doubt the majority of people went to the time and effort to conceal themselves. Again, if you're not doing anything wrong, whats the real concern about being blamed for something? No hard proof...no worry.

Yes...IRS comment noted, apples to oranges comparison though, imo.

The reg process was created by, and managed by people, all subject to mistakes and errors like the rest of us. If that's the end of the govt's involvement, I would say it's smooth sailing after that. Yes, I know more involvement is possible.
Our goal is to hold the "vendor" more responsible for the products they sell.....:
The ID aspect is meant as a tracking device, to also deter/discourage/slow down and complicate the purchasing process....particularly on the vendors end who have not to date, taken any responsibility for seamlessly providing ANYONE the ability to invade privacy, violate air space, chase harmless animals, disrupt peaceful environments, piss-off other club members, give the hobby a bad rap and negative perception to those who abide by the rules of conduct, and last but not least, give the ever present media something to fill their evening news gaps with......

To heck with the "anyone can fake" an ID........shallow are the minds who continuously believe "it will work it's self out"........"people make mistakes"......"we are all only human" mentalities.........when any person makes choices and acts on those choices that negatively effect others, just like vendors do selling products they turn their backs on and ignore after the cash is in their hands, the problem has become bigger than just what the FAA regulates as permitted usage guidelines......This from a guy who has had an "invested" interest in the sales and promotion of RC aerial equipment.

Sorry if I offend those who still believe all human nature starts out with good intentions........that is until $$$$ becomes the focused and determined factor.......Just ask any rep from DJI where their focus is, being able to reach out and sell product to anyone for any use, pumping out as much product they can to stay ahead of the competition and intervention.....or....making the product with limitations and restrictions that adhere to public scrutiny and local authority concerns.........I know what answer I got from the local DJI rep out here in SoCal.....yep #1 was make the product available to everyone, hands down.....!
Old 05-21-2016, 03:32 AM
Porcia83

Default Stop the press......

Our goal is to hold the "vendor" more responsible for the products they sell.....:
The ID aspect is meant as a tracking device, to also deter/discourage/slow down and complicate the purchasing process....particularly on the vendors end who have not to date, taken any responsibility for seamlessly providing ANYONE the ability to invade privacy, violate air space, chase harmless animals, disrupt peaceful environments, piss-off other club members, give the hobby a bad rap and negative perception to those who abide by the rules of conduct, and last but not least, give the ever present media something to fill their evening news gaps with......

To heck with the "anyone can fake" an ID........shallow are the minds who continuously believe "it will work it's self out"........"people make mistakes"......"we are all only human" mentalities.........when any person makes choices and acts on those choices that negatively effect others, just like vendors do selling products they turn their backs on and ignore after the cash is in their hands, the problem has become bigger than just what the FAA regulates as permitted usage guidelines......This from a guy who has had an "invested" interest in the sales and promotion of RC aerial equipment.

Sorry if I offend those who still believe all human nature starts out with good intentions........that is until $$$$ becomes the focused and determined factor.......Just ask any rep from DJI where their focus is, being able to reach out and sell product to anyone for any use, pumping out as much product they can to stay ahead of the competition and intervention.....or....making the product with limitations and restrictions that adhere to public scrutiny and local authority concerns.........I know what answer I got from the local DJI rep out here in SoCal.....yep #1 was make the product available to everyone, hands down.....!
Wait what, DJI has actually admitted that they want to sell a lot of their product? Unbelievable.

In other news I believe Jan from Toyota wants to sell a bunch of Camrys, and Jake from Statefarm wants more people to buy his insurance.

"making the product with limitations and restrictions...that adhere to public scrutiny and local authority concerns. Eh, what? We now expect commercial companies to submit their products to "public scrutiny and local authority concerns". Since when does a global company have to make something to deal with local authority concerns??? That sounds pretty Orwellian to me, and impossible to enforce.

I'm not sure "our" goal is to hold a vendor responsible for anything not on the books yet, it's not mine. If you have an "invested interest" in the hobby and this technology you probably realize almost anything stock can be undone and reworked. Even some shallow minded folks know that.

I did think I had heard it all in terms of the FAA's motivation for the registration, but "...deter/discourage/slow down and complicate the purchasing process...." is certainly a new one. I followed this process pretty closely and even sat through some of the live hearings, can't say I ever heard anything even remotely close to this.

Interesting that the idea of widespread commercial use by the folks at Walmart, Google, Amazon, Intel, among others didn't pop up as a possible reason the FAA wanted registration and more control.

\_(ツ)_/
Old 05-21-2016, 04:45 AM
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

I understand that, I was just saying I wonder if something did happen in my zip code, say someone reported a drone spying on them, if they would just look at this chart then try to come after me first as the only registered person and possibly the easiest target.

Interesting that the idea of widespread commercial use by the folks at Walmart, Google, Amazon, Intel, among others didn't pop up as a possible reason the FAA wanted registration and more control.
But...isn't Amazon the good guys now since they are so tight with the AMA? Not only do they want the airspace they want your money also, and the AMA is accepting that all the while they still claim to be "saving" the hobby lol.

https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-0799408

I think it is a bit ironic, I see Amazon as a bit of an enemy to our hobby myself, but yet it looks like they 'bought' the AMA.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:46 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

What.......?.....:

"making the product with limitations and restrictions...that adhere to public scrutiny and local authority concerns. Eh, what? We now expect commercial companies to submit their products to "public scrutiny and local authority concerns". Since when does a global company have to make something to deal with local authority concerns??? That sounds pretty Orwellian to me, and impossible to enforce."

Every car, boat, aircraft, gun, ect., ect., which can and do harm to property, persons, privacy, environments (all globally/commercially sold and distributed), are regulated, inspected, and mandated to meet Federal, State and local authority guidelines and regulations....to include public scrutiny (defects, failures, discomfort, recalls)....and they are and have been enforced liberally.......when it comes to public safety and environmental/public property concerns, why not hold the RC/UAS/UAV manufactures/vendors/operators more responsible for contributing to the harm those devices (like stated above) can/do cause........?......please don't bother throwing some feeling out there..... the issue is...... do we care more about the pieces, rather than the whole (synergy)........The UAV/UAS issue has become and is much bigger than what the average hobbyist like most of us here deal with.....obviously the FAA thinks so.....!......you can argue their validity and/or motives.....but if one desires to beat their head against a rock (much like I'm doing here now)....the outcome (when and if one ever becomes conscience/conscious) will be the same....... the decisions will benefit the best good for the greatest amount of people.....the hobby may suffer but the public will have it's say and safety/privacy in the end.

Last edited by pizzano; 05-21-2016 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:05 PM
Porcia83

I understand that, I was just saying I wonder if something did happen in my zip code, say someone reported a drone spying on them, if they would just look at this chart then try to come after me first as the only registered person and possibly the easiest target.

Great, and the first thing you respond with, if you decide to even speak to "they", is...prove it.

There are a million and one "what if" scenarios.

But...isn't Amazon the good guys now since they are so tight with the AMA? Not only do they want the airspace they want your money also, and the AMA is accepting that all the while they still claim to be "saving" the hobby lol.

https://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-0799408

I think it is a bit ironic, I see Amazon as a bit of an enemy to our hobby myself, but yet it looks like they 'bought' the AMA.
Well, I think you've uncovered the truth, it can't be disputed. The AMA has been bought and paid for, the .5% donation is going to be huuuuuge! Are the numerous charities that get donations from Amazon guilty of collusion as well?

The Natural Conservancy....ASPCA, and of course, those dastardly folks at The Red Cross.

Seems everyone's on the take now.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Porcia83

What.......?.....:

"making the product with limitations and restrictions...that adhere to public scrutiny and local authority concerns. Eh, what? We now expect commercial companies to submit their products to "public scrutiny and local authority concerns". Since when does a global company have to make something to deal with local authority concerns??? That sounds pretty Orwellian to me, and impossible to enforce."

Every car, boat, aircraft, gun, ect., ect., which can and do harm to property, persons, privacy, environments (all globally/commercially sold and distributed), are regulated, inspected, and mandated to meet Federal, State and local authority guidelines and regulations....to include public scrutiny (defects, failures, discomfort, recalls)....and they are and have been enforced liberally.......when it comes to public safety and environmental/public property concerns, why not hold the RC/UAS/UAV manufactures/vendors/operators more responsible for contributing to the harm those devices (like stated above) can/do cause........?......please don't bother throwing some feeling out there..... the issue is...... do we care more about the pieces, rather than the whole (synergy)........The UAV/UAS issue has become and is much bigger than what the average hobbyist like most of us here deal with.....obviously the FAA thinks so.....!......you can argue their validity and/or motives.....but if one desires to beat their head against a rock (much like I'm doing here now)....the outcome (when and if one ever becomes conscience/conscious) will be the same....... the decisions will benefit the best good for the greatest amount of people.....the hobby may suffer but the public will have it's say and safety/privacy in the end.
You might want to stop beating your head against a rock, nothing good will come of it. Sort of like asking for a response but then dictating the terms by which someone may chose to respond, ie, don't give me feelings.

Your premise is understandable, but flawed by none other than one of the items you noted...guns. They are by their own design made to create harm and death. The manf of guns can do far more than they have now to make them safer, but have not. I've yet to see them held accountable on any large scale when people misuse them (and for the record, I don't think they should be). Don't want to turn this into a weapons discussion, but you noted guns in your example. Actually every item you listed has been involved in federal and civil litigation for causing injury or harm due to design and usage defects. Nothing is perfect.

I see the FAAs involved as a direct result of increasing commercial use, and I'm actually happy they are hopefully going to do something to stop commercial interests from taking over our skies all in the name of delivering a book, an Ipod, or a roll of toilet paper to someone. I wish and hope they continue to recognize our hobby for the good we do and have done, and will continue to carve our exceptions for us.

Off to a sailplane event...clear blue skies for a change!
Old 05-21-2016, 01:05 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

.....and the time's,they are a changing....old lyrics to a song.

Fact!Goverment does not act always for the better for the whole anymore. Seems if they want to ban rc'ing to make the many who don't rc feel better could become a reality overnight.

they also have lost their ability to keep moral values that protect the general public [the whole] for the rights of a few. example: new Trans-gender rules set up on schools to follow or face loosing federal aid. i had no say on this subject and am furious by the new regulations imposed on our children.

so today by government informed rule...If I feel like a woman[which I am NOT!!] ,I can pee next to your daughter who may under 10years,12years,16years old. thats just plain wrong!! I miss the days when folks had basic morals and didn't yield to a group because they were afraid to offend group.d

The Faa is suddenly in control of us who are building and enjoying this rc hobby for so many decades. They can ultimately pull all the string taunt and make our hobby unbearable. I truly believe we are living the last years of our hobby in the USA ,if someone uses rc to attacK a target and succeeds,if the news stations broadcast it endlessly. we are doomed.

As for me,I say loudly with my faith in God,not men..." Boy's!!!!stay out of the ladies room".[that goes for ladies staying out of the mens room even though i don't care if a woman uses the urinal next to me...just kidding.]

to everyone here at Wattflyer, charge up batteries and go fly. thats what I will be doing this entire day.[stepping off soapbox now to load the car].I gotta get many hr's of flying in before the clock runs out and we can't fly anymore.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:24 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Bravo tobydogs. Well put.

"I did think I had heard it all in terms of the FAA's motivation for the registration, but "...deter/discourage/slow down and complicate the purchasing process...." is certainly a new one. "

Mine and many other people first inclination on this entire process is that it is designed to create a chilling effect on the purchase and use of these aircraft.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:58 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Please....quote me in context with the points of my discussion......:

"Our goal is to hold the "vendor" more responsible for the products they sell.....:
The ID aspect is meant as a tracking device, to also deter/discourage/slow down and complicate the purchasing process....particularly on the vendors end........just like an FFL would require for a firearms purchase here in California".........

Our goal, the group I'm campaigning with, to require venders to.............. never said, eluded to, or implied it was the FAA's motivation or requirement....!......

Last edited by firemanbill; 05-26-2016 at 03:52 AM. Reason: deleted derogatory comment

Quick Reply: FAA Releases Drone Registration Location Data

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15993 seconds with 15 queries