FAA registration - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

FAA registration

Old 01-07-2016, 12:44 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Default FAA registration

Here are a few pages concerning the FAA drone registration:

Re: scam sites:
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...on-scam-sites/

Re: D.C. no fly zone:
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...-the-d-c-area/

Re: voice your comments:
http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitC...2015-7396-0001
Old 01-07-2016, 01:42 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

I just voiced my comment (civilly) on the regulations.gov site. There were only 3099 comments as of yesterday. I think we need more to voice their opinion!

Steve
Old 01-07-2016, 01:59 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I posted a copy of the Special rule for model Aircraft which exempts model aircraft from the FAA.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:51 AM
FlyWheel

Which the FAA is fully aware of however they believe it doesn't apply, and has stated so.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

So in that vein, I don't believe the FAA's right to make me register, so I won't.

If the FAA can say a law doesn't apply to them, then why can't I do the same?
Old 01-08-2016, 12:09 AM
abborgogna

I just gave the Fed's my two cents, not that I think it will do any good. I just wanted to be heard.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:49 AM
wheelholder

I wrote a comment on the FAA site concerning the registration. Basically told them it was going against congress and with my membership in the AMA unnecessary.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Yakfishingfool

What happens when AMA releases all our membership info to the federals and a cross reference listing is done and we are not on both lists....IMHO, AMA is about to jump the shark and become irrelevant.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

As of yesterday, the AMA has changed positions and is now recommending you register.

At the AMA Expo, they stood together (FAA & AMA) and said to register. AMA also said that they are not done with their opposition and position, as they are still trying to get integration, but more so they appear to be working on the definition of model aircraft and a new ruling heading our way that lessens the restrictions toward 333, and possibly creates a few more valid uses for AP that do not require all the items currently needed for 333.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:30 PM
FlyWheel

Do you have a reference to that recommendation? Their blog still states that we should hold off.

I hear there is at least one lawsuit against the FAA to eliminate the registration altogether (at least for model aircraft)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl...tration-rules/

http://dronelife.com/2016/01/08/foll...-taylors-odds/
Old 01-11-2016, 09:03 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Here is the latest from the AMA website.

"These initiatives are a step in the right direction. However, we want to emphasize that this is not the end of our efforts to protect AMA members from this overreaching regulation. We are continuing to explore all legal and political options available, but these conversations may take time and a definitive solution is unlikely before the February 19 registration deadline.

Currently, registration is free of charge until January 19. If you would like to take advantage of this free period, you may want to register before that day. But please note that you have until February 19 to register in order to avoid violating the federal rule."

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...-registration/
Old 01-11-2016, 09:16 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Here's the full text of an email sent earlier today by the AMA to all its members:

Dear Members,

As you know, we have been working with our legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, FAA has agreed in principle to several proposed initiatives that will help ease this process for our members. Specifically, they are:

AMA and the FAA are working to streamline the registration process for AMA members whereby those who register with the FAA will be able to use their AMA number as the primary identification on their model aircraft, as opposed to adding a new federal registration number.

In addition, AMA members' federal registration will automatically renew provided membership remains active and current. We are working with FAA in negotiating the renewal fee, but in any case it is envisioned the renewal process will be provided as a member benefit.

In the future, federal registration will automatically be accomplished upon joining the AMA, eliminating the need to register with both AMA and the FAA.

These initiatives are a step in the right direction. However, we want to emphasize that this is not the end of our efforts to protect AMA members from this overreaching regulation. We are continuing to explore all legal and political options available, but these conversations may take time and a definitive solution is unlikely before the February 19 registration deadline.

Currently, registration is free of charge until January 19. If you would like to take advantage of this free period, you may want to register before that day. But please note that you have until February 19 to register in order to avoid violating the federal rule.

We also want to encourage our members to submit comments to the FAA about the registration rule. It is critical that all AMA members are heard loud and clear on this issue. The deadline for submitting comments is Friday, January 15. Additional instruction is available here.

Thank you for your patience as we work to find the best path forward on registration. We are committed to doing everything possible to protect our hobby and ensure that future generations have the opportunity to fly.

Sincerely,

AMA
Old 01-11-2016, 09:23 PM
maxflyer

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
So in that vein, I don't believe the FAA's right to make me register, so I won't.

If the FAA can say a law doesn't apply to them, then why can't I do the same?
Heh! Heh!

+1

Which one are you going to follow? The one made by congress, or the one drummed up by the FAA?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:56 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

The real failure of the AMA here is just looking out for their membership rather than the hobby as a whole. If they were seen to be looking out for everyone they would probably see the membership grow.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:11 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
The real failure of the AMA here is just looking out for their membership rather than the hobby as a whole. If they were seen to be looking out for everyone they would probably see the membership grow.
I see that as the exact opposite. Why would they be working for the whole, if in fact they dont have support from the whole? Hence the validity and benefit of MEMBERSHIP.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:20 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

Because of the principle of the thing and to preserve flying rights for future generations.

Look at it from the other side, why should the FAA make accommodations for a club rather than the body of users?
Old 01-12-2016, 01:42 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Here's the full text of an email sent earlier today by the AMA to all its members:

Dear Members,

As you know, we have been working with our legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, FAA has agreed in principle to several proposed initiatives that will help ease this process for our members. Specifically, they are:

AMA and the FAA are working to streamline the registration process for AMA members whereby those who register with the FAA will be able to use their AMA number as the primary identification on their model aircraft, as opposed to adding a new federal registration number.

In addition, AMA members' federal registration will automatically renew provided membership remains active and current. We are working with FAA in negotiating the renewal fee, but in any case it is envisioned the renewal process will be provided as a member benefit.

In the future, federal registration will automatically be accomplished upon joining the AMA, eliminating the need to register with both AMA and the FAA.

These initiatives are a step in the right direction. However, we want to emphasize that this is not the end of our efforts to protect AMA members from this overreaching regulation. We are continuing to explore all legal and political options available, but these conversations may take time and a definitive solution is unlikely before the February 19 registration deadline.

Currently, registration is free of charge until January 19. If you would like to take advantage of this free period, you may want to register before that day. But please note that you have until February 19 to register in order to avoid violating the federal rule.

We also want to encourage our members to submit comments to the FAA about the registration rule. It is critical that all AMA members are heard loud and clear on this issue. The deadline for submitting comments is Friday, January 15. Additional instruction is available here.

Thank you for your patience as we work to find the best path forward on registration. We are committed to doing everything possible to protect our hobby and ensure that future generations have the opportunity to fly.

Sincerely,

AMA
Yeah, same thing as what is in the link I posted.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:36 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

So much for equal protection under the law. One treatment for AMA members and quite another for everyone else. That makes is even worse.

It also gives the AMA quasi-regulatory status. That is dangerous. It marks the AMA as a subservient organization, a division of the FAA. That doesn't bode well for the future at all. Instead of acting to protect us the AMA jumped right into bed with the enemy.

This is gonna get ugly.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:21 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

I cannot believe it will be legal or possible for the FAA to impose a different set of regulations, rules, or laws on the general public then they do on AMA members or members of any other CBO. Is there any legal precedent for federal regulations being applied differently to members of certain clubs than to the general public? I seriously doubt it.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:47 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

I dont think, nor is there any implication that the AMA wants a different set of rules for AMA members or associates. What they are wanting is to use AMA as a valid registration base.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:10 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I can't wait for toy cars to be required to be registered at the local DMV and emissions tested with plates. This is basically what the faa is doing to us, so the DMV must have the same power. Just get the NTSB to define model cars as cars.

I have a bigger rubber band glider I bought for my kids for Christmas. I should weigh it and add lead until it weighs .55 lbs and show the local news what the faa defines as an aircraft.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
I dont think, nor is there any implication that the AMA wants a different set of rules for AMA members or associates.
Well, they seem to think there is. They seem to think that only AMA members are protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which is part of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. There are a number of specific points mentioned in the Q&A here:

http://www.suasnews.com/2016/01/4119...-registration/
Old 01-12-2016, 02:03 PM
ooOoo
Ninja

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
I dont think, nor is there any implication that the AMA wants a different set of rules for AMA members or associates. What they are wanting is to use AMA as a valid registration base.
I agree, they don't want a different set of rules. Apparently they just want to be exempt from all rules that will still apply to non-AMA members.

So I wonder, how can the government make exempt people from a community based group such as the AMA?

Old 01-12-2016, 02:08 PM
ooOoo
Ninja

Originally Posted by AMA
Q: Do I need to list both my AMA number and my federal registration number on my aircraft?

A: No. AMA has secured a concession from the FAA that allows AMA members to continue using their AMA numbers as the primary identification on his or her aircraft. AMA members are required to still have a hard copy or electronic copy of the federal registration certificate on them while flying.

Q: Am I permitted to fly first person view (FPV)? Can I fly at night?

A: Yes. AMA members are still protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which is part of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. As long as AMA members continue to follow AMA’s safety guidelines for these activities, they can continue to fly. The checkbox guidelines listed on the FAA UAS registration website do not apply to individuals who belong to a community-based organization such as the AMA.
Yep, it sure seems that members of a paid membership community based group are exempt from the rules that still apply to me. Lovely.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:13 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Pay to play?

Quick Reply: FAA registration

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15408 seconds with 12 queries