Scale Short Kits - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Scale Short Kits

Old 11-04-2011, 02:06 AM
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Default Scale Short Kits

I have built Tritle's Piper Super Cub as well as a T-41A (USAF Cessna 172) and they were great kits and fly superbly well.

I just received 2 more short kits the other day and I am just blown away by the quality of Pat's design work. He sells a short kit that will build a wonderful scale model and they are really light.

I received two days ago the 54" Cessna 310 as well as the DC-6B. The shipment came in about 3 business days. I have always wanted to be a competent multi-engine pilot and eventually I want to scratch build Pat's 71" B-17. These two kits are just fantastic and I expect them to be great flyers as well. The quality of the wood and laser cutting is first class. The quality of the vac formed parts is really nice as well, the thickness of the parts makes them very sturdy and they don't have really thin spots in them as you often see.

I really like short kits because you can then select the best balsa for the stick material and components you like instead of some of the cheapy stuff you would normally get with a full kit. It is hard to believe but even at 54", the 310 is supposed to weigh about 34 ounces and the 60" DC-6B is supposed to be under 30 ounces.

Can't wait to dig in to a couple of nice Winter build projects.

http://www.patscustom-models.com/

Dave
Old 11-04-2011, 02:53 AM
mararra

Those are real beauties! I have only recently stumbled upon the Tritle kits. I had noticed a post or two awhile back, but after reading a little, figured his stuff was way beyond my abilities. Then, sometime last summer I found Pat's build thread on his Pilatus Porter. I have always been intrigued by that ungainly, yet remarkable piece of aeronautical engineering. So, I started reading the build thread and then visited Pat's website which linked me to his other builds. I must have spent dozens of hours over the last few months reading everything I could find about his kits and his building philosophy and methods. What finally hooked me was watching flight videos of his models. They are simply amazing flyers. So graceful, smooth and realistic in their flight characteristics
I have been busy finishing up a couple projects so I can clear the bench to get the Porter started shortly after Christmas.
I have built many laser cut full kits, a couple die cuts and a Telemaster, which is probably the closest to the type of stick construction Pat designs use. Now we'll see if I'm ready for "prime time"
I'll be looking forward to hear of your progress on your two Tritle treasures.

M
Old 11-04-2011, 03:46 AM
payne9999

Pat's kits are not hard to build. I think the Pilatus looks pretty straight forward. I saw some video on you tube from a kid that must have been about 12 years old that documented his Pilatus build and maiden flight.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP-BSdYgrDY[/media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze-NfyQvZ5M&feature=related[/media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaqScmWe0l0&feature=related[/media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5pS4sa4aBU&feature=related[/media]

I like that the Porter is big (60") and really light (26 ounces). With that big wing and flaps it out to be able to land and take off in very small spaces.

The Porter is on my list as well!

Dave
Old 11-04-2011, 01:38 PM
spad

I enjoy building Trittle kits and designs, and agree that they are usually simple or "easy;" however, he does have a "habit" of using $1.00 worth of parts, at times, to build a part available for a few cents-likely the result of his perfectionist character!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 PM
payne9999

Originally Posted by spad View Post
I enjoy building Trittle kits and designs, and agree that they are usually simple or "easy;" however, he does have a "habit" of using $1.00 worth of parts, at times, to build a part available for a few cents-likely the result of his perfectionist character!
I suppose you are referring to something like building a nose wheel pivot and steering system from wheel collars, lite ply and brass instead of a packaged Du-Bro set. I think some of that comes from a long tradition of being a scratch builder. Also sometimes it seems as if the choices are for lightness like the pull-pull rudder design. Seems like that system is lighter and very positive when compared to most push-rods.

Dave
Old 11-05-2011, 01:53 AM
mararra

I thoroughly enjoyed the thread and videos that young builder put up. He did a great job, both building and flying.

I too, like spending hours rigging up something I can buy inexpensively, just for the fun of it, though I usually end up scrapping my rig and go with the ready made version...especially if it's a mechanical setup; not my strong suit

M
Old 11-05-2011, 05:54 AM
payne9999

I thought it was pretty inspiring to see a young person doing such a good job. I was considering the Porter earlier (that is when I found the videos) on but after coming back to the hobby last year, I set some goals that included faster low wing planes and multi-engine.

Been flying an RV-9 that is quite quick, a P-51 and now I have the twin Cessna in the works. I will build the Porter eventually though and probably many other kits that Pat makes. I especially like some of the bi-planes he offers.

Dave
Old 11-06-2011, 12:44 PM
mararra

Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
I thought it was pretty inspiring to see a young person doing such a good job. I was considering the Porter earlier (that is when I found the videos) on but after coming back to the hobby last year, I set some goals that included faster low wing planes and multi-engine.

Been flying an RV-9 that is quite quick, a P-51 and now I have the twin Cessna in the works. I will build the Porter eventually though and probably many other kits that Pat makes. I especially like some of the bi-planes he offers.

Dave
Looks like we are on opposite ends of the spectrum, I'm a low and slow guy . I built a MM P-51 last winter that hasn't even been in the air yet. Maybe never will. Looks real nice hanging from the ceiling.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 PM
payne9999

Originally Posted by mararra View Post
Looks like we are on opposite ends of the spectrum, I'm a low and slow guy . I built a MM P-51 last winter that hasn't even been in the air yet. Maybe never will. Looks real nice hanging from the ceiling.
Well, most of this flying season I have been flying a Piper Super Cub and a Cessna 172. I really enjoy flying the slow park flyers as well. I have a MM P-51 too and it is more challenging.

One of my goals has been to not only become a better pilot but in doing so challenging myself to some more difficult planes as well as wanting to be competent flying multi-engine planes. I want to stay within the realm of parkflyers though. All of Pat's models fit in that category. I believe they are all under 2 lbs. Also the majority of his models are easy flying and slow.

I have gotten to the point where I just don't get very upset if I crash. I expect that I won't crash when I go flying knowing that if it does happen I have to take it in stride and not get upset. My goal is to get to a point where there are almost no mishaps. In RC flying I think it is realistic to accept the crashes as valuable learning experiences.

I crashed my MM P-51 the first time out but it was a good learning experience and it is back in the sky now with several successful flights.

Dave
Old 11-10-2011, 01:23 PM
road king 97
old hat

I fly the snott out of my scratch builds and they never will collect dust. I want to build pats tri pacer and i have thought about the 310 also . You build a nice lookimg plane . joe
Old 11-10-2011, 02:36 PM
spad

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
I fly the snott out of my scratch builds and they never will collect dust. I want to build pats tri pacer and i have thought about the 310 also . You build a nice lookimg plane . joe
I have the Pacer and love it-three channels, only-the Tri-Pacer should be fantastic.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:15 AM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Pat Tritle DH82 Tiger Moth (as kitted by Dumas) in progress below...

I also have a few of Pat's short kits to build this winter:
- Gee Bee D
- Ultimate Bipe
- Clipped Wing T-Craft

I fly mainly small parkflyers so Pat's planes fit the bill for size and scale looks. You just can't go wrong!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pat Tritle TM - Build 2.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	154682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pat Tritle TM - Build 4.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	154683