Recommendation for Trainer to TEACH with??? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Recommendation for Trainer to TEACH with???

Old 12-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Default Recommendation for Trainer to TEACH with???

I want to buy an ARF trainer that I can use next summer to teach totally new flyers on. I'll be using a buddy box (Dx7/Dx5) system and it will be electric.

To make it easy to see, and easy to fly I think this airplane should have a wingspan over 6 feet (maybe 8 feet), be high-wing and also have ailerons.

I'm looking at this 80" HobbyKing Cub, but would like your suggestions before I pull the trigger.

Thanks... The Bum

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15858
Old 12-23-2010, 11:53 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

It deviates a bit from your stated requirements but I use a Steven's Aeromodel SQuiRT. It's not nearly as big but it flies pretty slowly. That lets you keep it fairly close so that you don't have much trouble seeing it. It is also a laser-cut kit rather than an ARF, but it builds very quickly owing to a quality self-jigging design and assembly with thin CA. I outfitted mine with a $20 brushless motor that probably has well over 100 hours of trouble-free operation on it. They also have a "700" size version with a 57" wing span compared to 38" for the 400 size. Stevens also sells an upgrade aileron wing for 400 if you like. I use a pair of DX6i's for buddy-box teaching and it works great.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

The best trainer is the Easystar for the beginner, slow, easy to see, and tough and it can be converted for ailerons too and landing gear

http://www.airscaperc.com/Products.php

Old 12-24-2010, 12:02 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

the cub is nice, but not for a beginner to train on, its not as forgiving as the easystar, and its not as tough IMHO, the cub would be a nice 2nd or 3rd plane
Old 12-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

How about a Senior Telemaster?

How would that work out as a trainer?

Old 12-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
The best trainer is the Easystar for the beginner, slow, easy to see, and tough and it can be converted for ailerons too and landing gear

http://www.airscaperc.com/Products.php

Good suggestion Chellie, thanks. Especially the landing gear link. Didn't know that was available.

How do you think the EasyStar will handle 10mph winds? We have them a lot in the summer.

...The Bum
Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
It deviates a bit from your stated requirements but I use a Steven's Aeromodel SQuiRT. It's not nearly as big but it flies pretty slowly. That lets you keep it fairly close so that you don't have much trouble seeing it. It is also a laser-cut kit rather than an ARF, but it builds very quickly owing to a quality self-jigging design and assembly with thin CA. I outfitted mine with a $20 brushless motor that probably has well over 100 hours of trouble-free operation on it. They also have a "700" size version with a 57" wing span compared to 38" for the 400 size. Stevens also sells an upgrade aileron wing for 400 if you like. I use a pair of DX6i's for buddy-box teaching and it works great.

Slow is good but I also have 5-10mph wind about all the time. Is the Squirt too light to handle that?

...The Bum
Old 12-24-2010, 04:25 AM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Saddlebum View Post
Slow is good but I also have 5-10mph wind about all the time. Is the Squirt too light to handle that?

...The Bum
I'd say it depends a lot on whether it's steady or gusty. I've buddy-boxed a beginner in a steady 10 Mph breeze and it wasn't an issue except that I had to occasionally bring the plane back because the student would let it drift too far down wind (out over the trees! ). Variable/gusting is another matter all together though. Any high dihedral wing airplane, especially one with a thick, flat-bottom airfoil is going to get bounced around and that would make it challenging for a beginning. I've flown my SQuiRT in considerably more than 10 Mph but it isn't much fun.

I'm sure the 700 size would handle it better but I've not seen nor flown one.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:08 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Good suggestion Chellie, thanks. Especially the landing gear link. Didn't know that was available.

How do you think the EasyStar will handle 10mph winds? We have them a lot in the summer.

...The Bum
The easystar will handle 10 to 15 Mph wind with no problem at all

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuAXsE0RoZ4&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqN22OT1M6k&feature=related[/media]
Old 12-24-2010, 07:09 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj0SC8Zp2TM&feature=related[/media]
Old 12-24-2010, 07:15 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

How about a Senior Telemaster?

How would that work out as a trainer?

a Senior Telemaster is a nice trainer for someone that has had a little flight time flying a glider or has had some previous rc training, not really for a beginer, because if they land it hard, it wont take very much punishment, it wont bounce back like a foam plane will.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:12 PM
syd123

I think the Telemaster would be a better choice than the hobby king Cub. Though the Cub looks to be a beautiful "old school" model, I think the Tele's longer tail moment, diehedral, and lower wing-loading would make it an easier flyer. ..Given it's lack of wing diehedral, the Cub would probably need quite a bit of rudder/ aileron coordination to turn smoothly whereas the telemaster would be a simple "bank and yank" kinda flyer.

That said, I wonder if the Easy Star wouldn't be a better choice than either the Cub or the Telemaster. ..Flying characteristics are only ONE consideration. The other (and nearly as important) is durability and ease of repair. A hard landing could cause considerable damage to either the Cub or Tele whereas the Easy Star (from what I've read on the web) can take ridiculous amounts of abuse AND when a repair is needed it can often be accomplished at the field using packaging tape (ugh.. It's kinda ugly to begin with, I can only imagine what it would look like with wrinkly tape all over it.

Quite coincidentally, I bought an Easy Star for my 10year old for Christmas So in a few weeks (weather permitting) I'll share my thoughts on how easy it is to teach someone to fly one.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:39 AM
opwan

Get a Parkzone Radian, hands down the best trainer out there. My son flew and landed perfectly the first try. Never flown a sim, just me telling him what inputs to make on the DX-7
Old 12-25-2010, 06:10 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by opwan View Post
Get a Parkzone Radian, hands down the best trainer out there. My son flew and landed perfectly the first try. Never flown a sim, just me telling him what inputs to make on the DX-7
Agree the parkzone Radiant and the Easystar are just about the same thing, a big easy glider to learn with. the Easystar has the advantage of the prop being out of Harms Way

Old 12-25-2010, 04:42 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

I like the yellow Sr.Telemaster. Very easy to fly & very easy to see. Some name brand pro trainers use them. Totally dislike the decals all over them but they do peal off with no problem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tj.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	140961  
Old 12-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Henry Sistrunk

Default Flight Training

I have had really good luck using this system with a trainer cord and buddy-box.
First: I start out with the powered glider. I take it up high, cut the power and let him start out with gliding down. When he has mastered this I let him start using power.
Second: Move on to a Tower Trainer 40 and the the Tower Trainer 60.
Last: The Senior Telemaster: It's really easy to fly but is easy to make a bounce or two landing.
Hope this helps.
Henry

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	140962   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	140963   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	140964  
Old 12-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Henry Sistrunk

Default Flight Training

Heres the glider.

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	140965  
Old 12-26-2010, 12:27 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

I too have to put in a vote for the Easy Star, or some other high wing Elapor plane. The design makes it a very easy plane to fly and Elapor is virtually indestructable. Or at least very simple to repair; a little Gorilla glue and it's back flying.

I have had my Easy nose in from as high as 25-30 feet! I cut the thottle and if it doesn't recover it just bounces on the grass. It also flies very slow. Most of the time the throttle isn't even on, I just use it to climb. Unless I catch a thermal, then God provides the thrust.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:44 AM
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

if you are going to be the instructor and going to teach new people at a club feild.. go with the biggest you can afford or fit.
60 size plus ...
you wont be letting them land, etc till you are comfortable to do so ...

foamies have thier place... if you are going to be the one you look up too .. what does that say that you only want o fly a foamy.

if i was new( a while since then) and i had a choice between that foamy or a large rc plane which do you think i would take , what would you....

our club has a Gas TRAINER and most others are 60 size.

and i was looking at that cub for the same reason...

and don't give me that tail dragger BS they have to learn it sooner or later...
Old 12-26-2010, 01:06 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tampaflyer View Post
if you are going to be the instructor and going to teach new people at a club feild.. go with the biggest you can afford or fit.
60 size plus ...
you wont be letting them land, etc till you are comfortable to do so ...

foamies have thier place... if you are going to be the one you look up too .. what does that say that you only want o fly a foamy.

if i was new( a while since then) and i had a choice between that foamy or a large rc plane which do you think i would take , what would you....

our club has a Gas TRAINER and most others are 60 size.

and i was looking at that cub for the same reason...

and don't give me that tail dragger BS they have to learn it sooner or later...
I Hate Tail Draggers Funny thing is that all of my planes are tail draggers because of there design I learned with a tricycle landing gear,much easier, good thing because tail draggers take some getting used too, I love watching the newbies at the flying field trying to take off with a tail dragger like i said, Trying to Take off it crackes me up
Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 12-26-2010, 01:35 AM
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

you should have had a better instructor

and they deserve better...

? do you taxi and fly a plane ... or is it always 3 steps..takeoff, fly , landing.

if you teach people to look at it as 3 steps , you are still learning
Old 12-26-2010, 03:40 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj0SC8Zp2TM&feature=related[/media]
He Chellie, I couldn't help but notice the pilot was using the left stick (Mode 1?); is that you?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:05 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
He Chellie, I couldn't help but notice the pilot was using the left stick (Mode 1?); is that you?
No, Thats a video i got off of Youtube, I cant fly Mode 1 Take care, Chellie
Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Agree the parkzone Radiant and the Easystar are just about the same thing
As a Radian flier, I take umbrage at that!
Old 12-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

There are lots of good ideas here (and lots of opinions!).

Since I own a Radian, and have used it already to train an 8 year old, I agree it may be a good first choice for a raw beginner.

But my club seems to attract "older" new flyers, many of them with a smattering of experience and most of them lusting after some form of an electric.

The current stable of "club trainers" are all .60 size, 4 channel, glow planes. Most are tail draggers and a few are trikes.

The club procedure is for the instructor to get the plane three mistakes high, and "give" aileron and elevator (only) at first until the student masters holding altitude while turning. Once that is mastered, throttle and rudder are added. The next step is low passes, then landing and finally, take-off.

It seems to be an advantage to have a BIG, SLOW airplane for beginners; easy to see for old eyes and docile in its response. I like the yellow Senior Telemaster because it fits those characteristics nicely. If I could build it with tricycle gear that could be a plus. Anyone ever seen that done?

...The Bum

Last edited by Saddlebum; 12-26-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: speling!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10433 seconds with 17 queries