E-Flite TX & Recharable Batteries... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

E-Flite TX & Recharable Batteries...

Old 02-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Vendetta

Default E-Flite TX & Recharable Batteries...

I noticed that the E-Flite TX that came with my blade cp has a charger port clearly labeled "charge". Question, say I'm using 8 2000mAh Ni-MH "AA" Batteries for the TX can I use my DC charger to charge the TX batteries through the TX? Granted, using the correct polarity tip & that my charger supports Ni-MH batteries. Or will a "RC Style Charger" only charge RC style packs and not Tx's that use AA batteries?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Vendetta

Anyone?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Rodneh

I am not familiar with that exact setup but; after you insert the batteries and a voltage check at the charge terminals check out correctly, there is no reason you can not charge through that connector. There is some possibility that there is a diode connected between the charge jack and the battery. If so then your charger would not be able to use peak detection and might not work. You could bypass the diode if it exists and then use your charger.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Vendetta

Thanks for the reply, how about the charge current setting? There's basically 8 2000mah batteries so what should you set it to?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Will Hicks
Dealer

Charge at C10 for an overnight charge. That would be 200mA. Check to ensure that your charger will charge eight cells.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Vendetta

great thanks !! Question though... Why not charge at 2.0A? which would be 1C right?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Will Hicks
Dealer

It's been my personal experience that 1C creates a lot of heat for a NiMh battery. That's with using a quality charger that has NiMh cutoff.

By using a C10 charge the battery pack is not stressed at all. In reality, your transmitter will only need to be charged every couple of weeks or so, unless your flying every day. The transmitter will work fine down to 9.2 volts.

With a peak detection charger you'll have to either defeat the blocking diode in the radio or add a battery connector that can be disconnected for charging. With the C10 charge you only need a constant current charger.

Simple and works great.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Vendetta

Ahh I see thanks for the info ! That actually answers another question I posted and got no answer to a while back.. I asked why would E-flite pack the bcp w/ a 650mAh Ni-Mh and also pack it with a 60mAh charger if they could pack it w/ a larger mAh charger and not have to wait 2.5 hrs for the charge...

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Rodneh

Do not, repeat DO NOT
Old 03-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Vendetta

umm, can you be a bit more specific?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Rodneh

Sorry for the criptic comment above, somehow the last half of my reply got lost. Should say, definately not C10, I think the author meant C/10. That backslash makes a big difference as charging at 10 times the C rate will defiinately ruin the battery and possible cause a fire. The figure is more commonly refered to as 0.1C which becomes quite clear with no possibility of confusion. When you see ratings of C10 that usually referes to the maximum discharge rate that particular battery can sustain without excessive internal heating or loss due to internal resistance, certainly not charge rate.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Will Hicks
Dealer

Rodneh,

You are correct. In days, not long ago, we didn't try to use equations for referring to battery charging. It was simply C10; arrived at by moving the decimal one place to the left in the mAh battery rating. Any number used in front of the C, such as 2C, meant 2X the battery rating.

Sorry for any confusion it may have caused you.