Park flyers at a club field - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Park flyers at a club field

Old 05-25-2008, 01:33 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Thumbs up Park flyers at a club field

Well we were going to go to an indoor flying event tonight at one of the hangars at the Newport News Airport, bad news was it was last night and not tonight... I should really read my emails better.:o

Anyway, it was still daylight so we headed to the club field. All we had with us was the Slow Stick, the Beaver, and the Pico Cub since we were headed to the indoor deal.

2 things to point out here.

First we have a great club. No one gives us a hard time over our little electrics, they actually think the slow stick is really cool. One guy that was getting ready to leave stopped and stayed and watched us fly it. We may have another convert soon!

Second is, Mason an myself have some pretty big planes now between his Jenny, my Waco and Airliner and such, heck my receiver battery in my Waco is bigger than my flight battery for the Cub and the Beaver! But we still had an absolute blast chasing each other around the sky in our 2 smallest, park flyers.

Just goes to show it does not matter what you fly... as long as you fly!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:13 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Bill,

I was kinda worried I would get shunned or what-not before I joined my club for the same reasons, but actually, (and today was another example), I am often introduced proudly as the member who flies ONLY electric. And, I have worked to convert my flight instructor as well, who now has 2 electrics as well as his slimers.....

It's all good. And more and more people are realizing we ALL can share in the fun!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:16 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

yeah it's pretty cool huh. A couple of guys were actually disappointed I did not have the Waco with me.

I am known as the electric guy too. We have a bunch who fly electric but I think me and Mason are the only ones who are complete wattheads, and I'm ok with that!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:27 AM
Redneck Air of ME

Giggle's !!

I am lucky to be invovled with a club that most that fly there are there to fly and enjoy both slimmers and watts. most often we fly watts till 8 am then mix it up the rest the morning! Must say though I am really learning to love Electric more. and plan to purchases a new http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL4800 as sson its released. kinda killing two birds with one stone. Wanted the radio awhile ago and well the plane is a bonus.

P.S.
Think I am getting the gal invovled as well !!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:28 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Same here. I don't bash glow/nitro/gas (except with a couple friends in my club, and in a very fun-natured manner), but I just don't want it. I am not well versed in IC stuff, but electrical I get more easily. My grandpa used to teach me all sorts of electronic stuff when I was a kid, and it's really cool to put some of that knowledge to good use. And it kinda keeps me connected to him, even though he is gone. (I bet he'd even enjoy watching these "toys".)
Old 05-25-2008, 02:29 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Redneck, first post of your's I have encountered, WELCOME to Wattflyer!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:33 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

same here Kev, I like watching the glow/gas guys do their thing. I like 'em all, I just like the ease of the electrics.

Like today, showed up at the field and within 5 minutes, including talking with the guys, we had both planes in the air. As soon as we were done they were back in the truck and off we went.

I do like the sound of those big ol DA100's and such!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:34 AM
Redneck Air of ME

Nice to meet you as well .. havnt post much but have been reading alot here.. . Btw forcast for our area for our get together tomorrow is outstanding being next to the big pond.. giggle
2 to 5 mph wind till 1 pm then only bouncing up to 7mph..
Old 05-25-2008, 02:34 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Yeah, my buddy John had his plane up, I think that has a DA in it (dont ask me for particulars, I know NOTHING about that stuff), but some refer to it as a chainsaw engine. Runs on gas, not nitro. Stopped by on my way home.

Someday I am gonna get smart and keep a plane in my car.....maybe a MiniPulse XT?
Old 05-25-2008, 02:38 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Where are you redneck?

Our forecast looks stellar as well! We will be back at the field tomorrow afternoon with the big guns!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mason's jenny.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	66978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4447.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	66979  
Old 05-25-2008, 02:51 AM
Redneck Air of ME

I flying in a small coastal town called Searport. In fact if you haved watched the movie The Hunt For Red October it where the movie is ending.. kinda a joke cause it isntreally the habor but.. just a little movie tirvia to add to the location..
Old 05-25-2008, 02:53 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

cool! Pretty country up that way, I went to Portsmouth NH a few years back for some training and took a drive up along the coast there. Very nice.

Of course that was in the spring, don't think I'd want to be up there come winter time!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:56 AM
Redneck Air of ME

Yeah was an above normal amount snow this year.. got some great pic of northern maine and there plus 15 foot snow banks on the side the road. Keep me busy as a heating tec. But heck as this weekend I dont care I am on a much deserve Vacation for the week and plan to fly as much as the weather will allow . starting in the am
Old 05-25-2008, 03:01 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

well good for you! Enjoy!
Old 05-25-2008, 06:48 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Bad reports about fuel-elitists are what's keeping me from joining our local club. Too bad, because they've got a really nice flying field with a paved air strip and everything.

But man would I love to take out my little red delta (or "Screamin' Delta Demon", as I like to call it) and blow the doors off some of their gas guzzlers at over 100mph before shooting straight up into the sky while corkscrewing like there's no tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:39 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

don't listen to the rumors. I heard the same thing about my club before I joined. It kept me from going there for almost a year before I finally tried it out.

I felt really bad about my pre conceived notion since me and boy were welcomed with open arms.

Don't knock them til you give them a chance.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:42 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

I've heard all sorts of rumors about my club, too. Guess what, I've been flying small electrics there for 5 or 6 years now, and I've never had a problem. I fly a mix of stuff and as long as common sense is used, there are no problems sharing a field. We have gliders, 450-size helis, .90 size helis, Parkzone Micro Cessnas, speed 400 planes, "sporty .40s", 3-Ds, and large scale warbirds all flying on a given day at our field. But not at the same time.