banned from park flying :( - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

banned from park flying :(

Old 11-21-2007, 07:14 PM
  #1  
redneckflyer
GIT-R-DONE!
Thread Starter
 
redneckflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fletcher, North Carolina
Posts: 464
Default banned from park flying :(

a while back i went to the only park, even remotely close to my house to have some harmless rc flying fun.

and what do i find? a fresh sign at the field that i fly in that is away from people walking, playing baseball,riding bikes, ect. that reads:

"flying toy airplanes anywhere inside this park will no longer be tolerated, because they are dangerous and harmful to the public. and violators will be banned from this park permanently. thanks for your cooperation,
fl****er recreational park."

so what this means for me is my flying is now limited to flying just my small planes in my grandparents pasture because it is not big enough for some of my bigger planes.

there is a rc club around here that im not a member of. (yet) but it is still a ways away and it will not be as convenient as the park.

arghhh! this maks me mad!
redneckflyer is offline  
Old 11-21-2007, 08:04 PM
  #2  
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer
 
EpoweredRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: B.N.R in Paulding now In Buchanan,GA
Posts: 2,200
Default

I would tell them to remove the Toy part, toys to not harm people these airplanes can.... that sucks really, I am suprized parks around here have not done the same
EpoweredRc is offline  
Old 11-21-2007, 08:21 PM
  #3  
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees
 
vax6335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 760
Default

But you're not flying toys.... You're flying a model airplane......

Ask the park department to show you where in the city or county code it says that is not allowed.
I can put up a sign saying anything I want, but if it's not actually illegal, it's just words on a board.
vax6335 is offline  
Old 11-21-2007, 08:32 PM
  #4  
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1
 
Murocflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Posts: 7,044
Default

Originally Posted by vax6335 View Post
But you're not flying toys.... You're flying a model airplane......

Ask the park department to show you where in the city or county code it says that is not allowed.
I can put up a sign saying anything I want, but if it's not actually illegal, it's just words on a board.
I agree. Some soccer Mom could have put that up. Check with the city managers or town board.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline  
Old 11-21-2007, 08:51 PM
  #5  
Airhead
Redneck Member
 
Airhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntsville AL.
Posts: 5,624
Default

Hi Redneckflyer,
I agree with Frank and Vax, Maybe you could look into this a little further. It wouldn't hurt to try. These aren't toys and you are a responsible flyer. good luck.
Airhead is offline  
Old 11-21-2007, 09:08 PM
  #6  
pd1
Still Learning
 
pd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 4,098
Default

A while ago My dad decided to fly at the local school. While there were no prohibitions against model airplanes, in the past there has been a lot of complaints about noise .

My dad met with some selectmen and city councilors and after explaining how quiet these planes were we were asked to give a demonstration.

After a few flights one city councilor was quite impressed and issued a letter of authorization granting us permission to fly at the school.

A lot of people have the misconception that models are noisy and dangerous.
If you take the time to show them they are not dangerous and you are responsible and won't use them in a dangerous way, you might be able to change their minds.

Good luck

Paul
pd1 is offline  
Old 11-22-2007, 02:29 AM
  #7  
TLyttle
Super Contributor
 
TLyttle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Keremeos BC Canada
Posts: 1,025
Default

Exactly right, Paul. I am always amazed that ONE PERSON can kill off the enjoyment of many people... or just one other person.

I, too, would go to the Council to ask for justification for the ban, and it better be good. It always help to have a few people there, even if it is only people who enjoy watching. It helps even more if one of the people is a cop, or a councillor etc.

Quiet and slow is the key!
TLyttle is offline  
Old 11-22-2007, 08:50 AM
  #8  
panzerd18
Member
 
panzerd18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 104
Default

Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Exactly right, Paul. I am always amazed that ONE PERSON can kill off the enjoyment of many people... or just one other person.

I, too, would go to the Council to ask for justification for the ban, and it better be good. It always help to have a few people there, even if it is only people who enjoy watching. It helps even more if one of the people is a cop, or a councillor etc.

Quiet and slow is the key!

Because if something goes wrong, lawyers will have a field day...
panzerd18 is offline  
Old 11-22-2007, 11:29 AM
  #9  
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan
 
FlyingMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 32459
Posts: 8,930
Default

One of the questions to ask, is do they allow baseball?

Softball?

Do they allow people to play full contact football there?

Any one of these sports could do just as much, if not more harm than an RC airplane.

What it might be, is the local club pushing to keep you from flying there.

Our club actively pursues preventing people from flying at the local ball fields.

At first this sounds like they're being jerks, but there is a good reason for this.

Anybody flying within two miles of the field, could potentially cause one of our planes to be "shot down" with radio interference. If you're flying at a park, and turn on your radio that's on the same channel as one of the guys at the field, you could walk over his signal, and cause that plane to crash.

Before you start pushing, do some digging. Get friendly with someone at the park. Find out who makes the rules, find out why the rule was made. It also wouldn't hurt to become a member of the club. They might actually try to help reopen the ball field to you.

Nothing helps increase their membership, like exposure. Flying a quiet, safe airplane, at a park where fathers are waiting for their kids to finish practice, will get them thinking "hmmm, if I was to buy one of those 'for my son' we could spend more quality time together".
FlyingMonkey is offline  
Old 11-22-2007, 03:29 PM
  #10  
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor
 
Sky Sharkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,455
Default Yep, We're Outlaws!

Hello Redneckflyer,
I agree with the posts so far, all good advice.
Here in greater Denver, all the counties have Park and Open Space rules prohibiting "Flying Models" or "Powered Models" or some such ban. Generally these are only honored in the breech, that is, not until somebody actually complains to the authorities. I've had more than one local Cop or Sheriff tell me exactly that, when asked.
And Fred is right, the AMA has a rule stipulating no R/C flying should be done within 3 miles of a chartered R/C club site, and won't grant another club (field site) charter if they are closer. We (Rocky Mountain Electric Flyers) ran into this clause when we obtained a site fairly close to an existing R/C club, the Arvada Associated Modelers. Eventually we proved we were over the 3 mile limit and did a series of frequency scans with flyers at both sites to reassure everyone. Only then did the AMA grant our club charter.
So, I believe the suggestions to contact the R/C club, City Council, Park + Rec Superintendent or whomever might be able to help you, are good ideas. Maybe you CAN fly there!
Ron
Sky Sharkster is offline  
Old 11-22-2007, 04:12 PM
  #11  
redneckflyer
GIT-R-DONE!
Thread Starter
 
redneckflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fletcher, North Carolina
Posts: 464
Default

Originally Posted by vax6335 View Post
But you're not flying toys.... You're flying a model airplane......

Ask the park department to show you where in the city or county code it says that is not allowed.
I can put up a sign saying anything I want, but if it's not actually illegal, it's just words on a board.
this is true, thanks for the info!
and yes i am flying a model airplane, not a toy. this is another thing that makes me mad, that they belittle model aeronautics.

anybody that says "oh that is just a toy" just have a chip on their shoulder because they don't have the privilege of flying rc airplanes, or because they think it is stupid. and they think that if they don't or can't do it, than you can't do it.

because they don't care about anything but themselves.
redneckflyer is offline  
Old 11-22-2007, 04:17 PM
  #12  
redneckflyer
GIT-R-DONE!
Thread Starter
 
redneckflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fletcher, North Carolina
Posts: 464
Default

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
One of the questions to ask, is do they allow baseball?

Softball?

Do they allow people to play full contact football there?

Any one of these sports could do just as much, if not more harm than an RC airplane.

What it might be, is the local club pushing to keep you from flying there.

Our club actively pursues preventing people from flying at the local ball fields.

At first this sounds like they're being jerks, but there is a good reason for this.

Anybody flying within two miles of the field, could potentially cause one of our planes to be "shot down" with radio interference. If you're flying at a park, and turn on your radio that's on the same channel as one of the guys at the field, you could walk over his signal, and cause that plane to crash.

Before you start pushing, do some digging. Get friendly with someone at the park. Find out who makes the rules, find out why the rule was made. It also wouldn't hurt to become a member of the club. They might actually try to help reopen the ball field to you.

Nothing helps increase their membership, like exposure. Flying a quiet, safe airplane, at a park where fathers are waiting for their kids to finish practice, will get them thinking "hmmm, if I was to buy one of those 'for my son' we could spend more quality time together".
you know you have a really good point there! thanks for the thoughts.
redneckflyer is offline  
Old 11-22-2007, 04:22 PM
  #13  
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan
 
FlyingMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 32459
Posts: 8,930
Default

shhhhhhhhh!

You'll ruin my rep...
FlyingMonkey is offline  
Old 11-22-2007, 04:22 PM
  #14  
redneckflyer
GIT-R-DONE!
Thread Starter
 
redneckflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fletcher, North Carolina
Posts: 464
Default

Originally Posted by Sky Sharkster View Post
,
the AMA has a rule stipulating no R/C flying should be done within 3 miles of a chartered R/C club site,
Ron
but see that is the thing, the club i was talking about is about fifteen miles away from the park. and the park is right in between the club and my house. so this means that the park is more convenient.
redneckflyer is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
CFIT
Beginners
122
12-26-2007 08:14 AM
rcfs
New Product Announcements
1
10-11-2007 12:16 AM
Flyer 1
Aerial Photography
26
06-09-2007 04:32 AM
OhioBuckeye
Beginners
12
01-16-2007 10:58 PM
nova801428
General Electric Discussions
6
09-03-2005 10:04 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Quick Reply: banned from park flying :(


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.07787 seconds with 13 queries