Aircraft reccomendations for new flyers - Page 15 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Aircraft reccomendations for new flyers

Old 12-13-2007, 05:46 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
help?

what help?

you contributed nothing at all!
did somebody hijack Wilburs account?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:51 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Nah, he'll take a look, decide it is too ugly, and go with a 1/4 scale Piper Cub for $999.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

I don't know why this thread is so long other than belaboring the obvious. I saw a lot of good advice, but I think carld2002 has misrepresented himself. Twelve hours in a glider is nothing. Reminds me of a 16-year-old who can't wait to get behind the wheel of his dad's Jaguar sport sedan. I hope I am wrong.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:06 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Not really...

My kid just got a 3000GT. This kid has, in two years, completely destructed a Neon just by driving it, rear-ended somebody and totaled a Probe, and got a speeding ticket in a minivan. And he has the gall to ask if he can drive my RX-7

I'm worried... but these airplane things don't usually hurt anything but your wallet
Old 12-13-2007, 08:17 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
I don't know why this thread is so long other than belaboring the obvious. I saw a lot of good advice, but I think carld2002 has misrepresented himself. Twelve hours in a glider is nothing. Reminds me of a 16-year-old who can't wait to get behind the wheel of his dad's Jaguar sport sedan. I hope I am wrong.
mostly because the members of wattflyer are honest, helpful, trusting people by nature.

me on the other hand, would rather dope slap someone up the side of the head for being ignorant.

of course, i would try to help them see their ignorance first.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

mostly because the members of wattflyer are honest, helpful, trusting people by nature.

me on the other hand, would rather dope slap someone up the side of the head for being ignorant.

of course, i would try to help them see their ignorance first.
Don't waste the dope Fred....use a Taser instead!

Zzzzzaaaaapppp!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:21 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

but I think carld2002 has misrepresented himself.
it is obvious that he has been less than honest with us. I will try to chalk that up to wanting to sound more experienced than he is, so that people wouldn't consider him a "stupid kid"

he does not have the experience with rc airplanes he lead us to believe at first. I doubt he's done as much real flying as he's claimed, otherwise he would have a better understanding of aerodynamics, especially as a glider pilot. and I am quite sure that his LHSs do not carry the parts to the diablo, as he has stated.

but, I've asked the slate be swept clean, now that all of this is out in the open.

As someone else mentioned, we all want to see him fly successfully. were you never an over eager kid once?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

were you never an over eager kid once?
No, I've always been 30 years old... my mom thinks that's weird
Old 12-13-2007, 08:40 PM
carld2002

I think we're over that hurdle, I bet he buys a wingdragon today when he goes to the LHS.

he said yesterday, he would look into it.
Not going to the lhs today.

Anything I buy will be after christmas.

Otherwise, you are correct, I most likely will be buying the wd.

it is obvious that he has been less than honest with us. I will try to chalk that up to wanting to sound more experienced than he is, so that people wouldn't consider him a "stupid kid"

he does not have the experience with rc airplanes he lead us to believe at first. I doubt he's done as much real flying as he's claimed, otherwise he would have a better understanding of aerodynamics, especially as a glider pilot. and I am quite sure that his LHSs do not carry the parts to the diablo, as he has stated.

but, I've asked the slate be swept clean, now that all of this is out in the open.

As someone else mentioned, we all want to see him fly successfully. were you never an over eager kid once?
Did I ever lead to you believe that I had much experience with r/c?

I have done 12 hours of flying and have been licensed for half a year now.

I don't see what I am missing with aerodynamics? I have understood why the planes that I had asked about were bad choices previously.

I don't really understand your point.

How have I misrepresented myself?

What does yor example have to do with this at all?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Just out of curosity, how many total hours do you have and in what type of plane.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

you implied you had some experience, and that you wanted a plane for an experienced pilot...

Originally Posted by carld2002 View Post
I do not have much experience with r/c aircraft but I do not want a trainer for these reasons:

For those reasons, I would like recomendations for an experienced flyer. I want the best aircraft for the money, not the easiest to fly.
from the sounds of your flying experiences, you are lacking a knowledge of basic aerodynamics. as a pilot, cg would be a very important factor. I know that full scale pilots have to pack planes, and seat passengers accordingly. so I would have expected these things to be looked at more carefully during your rc attempts.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:01 PM
carld2002

you implied you had some experience, and that you wanted a plane for an experienced pilot...

from the sounds of your flying experiences, you are lacking a knowledge of basic aerodynamics. as a pilot, cg would be a very important factor. I know that full scale pilots have to pack planes, and seat passengers accordingly. so I would have expected these things to be looked at more carefully during your rc attempts.
Yes, a plane that an experienced pilot would use, not being one myself.

I know how aerodynamics works, I know how c of g works.

"so I would have expected these things to be looked at more carefully during your rc attempts."

What? When did I say that I didnt?

Where are you pulling some of the things you say from? Seriously?

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Just out of curosity, how many total hours do you have and in what type of plane.
Like I said, 12 hours, glider.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

12 hours is all you need to get a license to fly a glider. Dang, it took me 40 to get my ppl
Old 12-13-2007, 09:34 PM
carld2002

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
12 hours is all you need to get a license to fly a glider. Dang, it took me 40 to get my ppl
It's not based on hours.

It's based on number of flights.

It could take 8 hours to get it or it could take hundreds of hours.

12 hours of glider flying is a lot of flights.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:50 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

15 pages

Old 12-13-2007, 10:33 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Where are you pulling some of the things you say from? Seriously?
carl, you're doing it again, I am trying to help, and you're getting defensive, offended, and next you'll start calling names.

for one, you mentioned you only checked your cg once every few days of flight.

I check the balance after every few days of flight.
you have stated the problems your having with flying, which pretty much rules out you getting anything more than a basic trainer...

I have realized that I really need some advice on the basics of flying.

My problem is flying straight and level and turning.

and sometimes I think you're trolling, especially when you say things like this...

I know this might be on the edge of acceptable but what do you guys think of the art zone su-27 for me?

Also, can someone explain 3d flying to me?
and

So Also, I'm not sure how well this will be recieved but... do you think something like the flyzone diablo would work for me? What draws me to it is the aerocell wing construction which is supposedly very durable.

so, where are we?

you wanted suggestions for a plane, you gave your requirements, you received several recommendations, almost all for the same plane. a plane that fit your requirements perfectly.

you now have this information, you will not be in a position to purchase anything until after christmas. I think all that needs to be said here has been said.

what you need to do now, is decide, what plane you want to get.

if you get something other than the wingdragon, say nothing until you have made some flights on it, and come back with a report.

if you decide on a wingdragon, take the time between now, and when you get it, to read every thread there is about the plane. how it goes together, how it is balanced, how it flies. take the time between now and then to work on a simulator.

what you shouldn't do, is ask, ever again, for recommendations for an aileron trainer. the suggestions have been given, you have access to the plane and parts, so you can't use that excuse anymore.

do not ask about more advanced planes. if you really want to know about them, there are hundreds, if not thousands of posts to be read on everything from the AHAA on up through turbine jets. once you've read all those posts, if you still have questions, please feel free to ask.

I am not saying this as a jerk, I am saying it as I would to someone at my own field, heck, if one of my nephews decided to take up RC, it's what I would tell them.

and, of course, you will feel tempted to reply with some sort of defensive response. something accusing maybe. don't, you're not winning any points by doing so. people are still willing to help you, and by the looks of things, you're going to need it. but the more people you alienate, the more they will be tempted to warn others that you will not take advice, and that their time would be better spent on people who will actually listen.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:40 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

It gets very tiring having someone ask for advice, and when you provide them said advice, they act like you haven't provided a good enough answer. Gets old in a hurry.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
It gets very tiring having someone ask for advice, and when you provide them said advice, they act like you haven't provided a good enough answer. Gets old in a hurry.
You should use JB weld on your Jenny motor mount.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:43 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
You should use JB weld on your Jenny motor mount.
Are you just going Off Topic, or making a point?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Are you just going Off Topic, or making a point?
Yes
Old 12-13-2007, 10:46 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Yes
LOL you suck, sir
Old 12-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

LOL you suck, sir
Sorry, I had to do that.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:51 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Just cuz I want the motor to not fall off like Brian had happen......I get ribbed about it......

Not like I have years and years of building experience like you do, after all......YEARS AND YEARS!!!!! LOL
Old 12-13-2007, 10:53 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

yet we're still here, still trying to help

there's a famous quote...

the definition of insanity, is doing the same thing, over and over, and expecting a different result.

I am not sure why that comes to mind right now...
Old 12-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Just cuz I want the motor to not fall off like Brian had happen......I get ribbed about it......

Not like I have years and years of building experience like you do, after all......YEARS AND YEARS!!!!! LOL

That really hurts. And I thought you were my friend. Just for that, you can't have the Zero. Oh, wait, you already have it.

Quick Reply: Aircraft reccomendations for new flyers

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14628 seconds with 13 queries