Park Flyers - Which brand is best? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Park Flyers - Which brand is best?

Old 08-04-2007, 02:52 AM
uslimey

Default Park Flyers - Which brand is best?

I started with a Hobbyzone Firebird Phantom... It had 3 channels and cost $60... It was plagued with so many quality isues however, I ended up speending another $100 or so keeping it flying... I recently graduated to a Parkzone P51... It flew great for the first couple of flights... Since then, I have lost 3 pinion gears, each after a few minutes of high power flying.. This has resulted in some pretty hard landings, and I am now faced with the fact that I probably need a new motor with a brass pionion (instead of nylon) a new front cowel, a new fuselage, and a new scoop... That's probably $70+ dollars worth of repairs after less than an hour of fly time... In fact so far the plane is averaging about 10 times more time being repaired on the bench than it is flying in the air... I am beginning to wonder whether the brand is actually PART-ZONE!... It concerns me because I also have another PZ plane on order - the T28 Trojan... It looks like a nice plane (Lipo, brushless out runner, 72 Mhz radio), but now I am beginning to wonder if I am wasting my money buying another Horizon Hobby RTF plane... As such I was wondering what other people think about other brands... There are a lot out there... Does anyone have a better product or are they all plagued by quality issues?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:44 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi uslimey the rft planes are not all that good, cheap electronics, cheap powerplants, you would be better off, to buy a good quality Radio system like a hitec or JR and assemble your own plane with good quality motors, esc. etc, with most rtf planes and helis they are made cheap, so the quality is not there, and as you found out, you will spend more money to try to keep them flying, spend a little more at first, buy quality once and be done with it, thats my 2 cents worth, Take care, Chellie
Old 08-04-2007, 09:16 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

uslimey,
I agree with Chellie. I own a Slo-V and a PZ FW-190. Like your Mustang my Wolfe is down for repairs. I have had MUCH better luck and fun with the planes I've assembled myself. The first two being a GWS Picostik-F, and a foamie Chubby Lady. Both gentle flyers that have been in the 100% longer than they have been on the repair bench.

As to your orignal question, I think Hobby/Park Zone has pretty much the best of the RTF stuff out there. Maybe not the cheapest, but they have a customer service and replacement parts.

Last edited by max2112; 08-04-2007 at 09:22 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-18-2007, 01:33 PM
cellsitegod

Here's my experience,
Now bear in mind this is my first aileron plane and by no means am I expert on R/C planes.
T-28 Trojan RTF out of the box:
Stickers were coming off
I went to attach the wing and glue was filled up in the mount nut.
The screws for the aileron rod mounts stick through the wing almost 1/4 past, one looks mounted "cockeyed".
One of the servo's whines constantly.
The instructions are vague with no troubleshooting.
The instructions state all the servo reversing switches should be up on the TX. After checking everything, they only work correctly all down.
I emailed PZ 4 days ago inquiring about the servo reversing...no response.

I flew it yesterday, I got it about 10' up and it rolled to the right and nosed in. It seemed like it was struggling to gain altitude.
I'm not good enough to rule out operator error though.
Damages after only a 10' crash:
Cowl cracked in several places (see below)
Motor mount destroyed
Wing mounts for attaching to fuse broke off.
When I pulled the cowl off. I found a couple of strips of nylon reinforcing tape inside the cowl like maybe it was cracked before leaving Parkzone?.
Then when I re-attached the mount after crash I noticed it was glued on one side of the tab but, not the other.
After reading of the many troubles more experienced flyers have had with electronics on these. It makes me wonder if "operator in-experience" was not the only problem. After spending $225.00 plus tax and their vague owners manual it makes me wonder about their QC standards at Parkzone.
I'm going to repair it, shelf it, get more sim time in and try to find someone with more experience to to take it up for a check out.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:13 PM
gearz

Never had one...sounds like it came off the scratch and dent shelf. :[
Old 12-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Check out this web site for information on the ParkZone warbirds.

To answer your question, (which brand is best) -- I really like the GWS airplanes. They are inexpensive, fly great, and are easy to repair.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

I have never owned a rtf .But with 30 years R C experience I feel that term is a missleading missnomer designed to encourage "newbies" into the hobby .Unfortunately their 1st experience can discourage them right out of the hobby.Take Chellies advice minimize your lossess and go with an ARF that you outfit with a motor and an entry level 4 channel radio.If you can't get a good range check with the radio that came with your RTF see about getting a store credit for the money you've spent towards a quality set up.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

Someone please explain the appeal of Park Zone war planes. They're expensive and the included radios are three channel 27 mhz which can't be used with any "real" RC planes.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Someone please explain the appeal of Park Zone war planes.
Simple -- they're relatively inexpensive entry-level airplane kits which do not require any knowledge of the somewhat "scary" electronics which are required for an ARF. They appeal to newbies.

Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
They're expensive and the included radios are three channel 27 mhz which can't be used with any "real" RC planes.
I agree, to an extent. They're inexpensive when you consider the fact that you charge the battery and fly it in less than an hour -- it's called "instant gratification", and it's what makes the USA machine keep turning.

I will disagree with your statement about the ParkZone electronics can't be used in any "real" RC planes... I've put ParkZone electronics in a GWS Zero, and put 100 flights on it -- the ParkZone electronics came out of a ParkZone P-51, and the AUW decreased by 1/3 (which increased the power-to-weight ratio)!!! I'm currently building a GWS Slow Stick, with ParkZone electronics. It CAN be done, with excellent results.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:59 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Parkzone, Hobbyzone, GWS and all the others are pretty much the same. They produce some good quality kits and some real dogs. Occasionally one of their kits with a good reputation will be defective as well. This is not limited to one company.

Parkzone is catering to a specific crowd, the people who want RTF planes. This means they have a higher quality bar to meet than someone who makes kits. They have to make planes where all the parts work together, while a kit maker just has to make sure the airframes are solid and it's up to the user to make it perform well. Combine that with the fact that Parkzone stuff is still fairly cheap, and you have a situation where quality is going to suffer. Every one of their airframes is solid, but when you combine it with all the parts that make a plane work, there's bound to be problems.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Which Parkflyer?

Hello uslimey, Welcome to Wattflyer!
Well, you've gotten quite a bit of advice, here's mine;
Give up on RTF's and get a plane you know will fly, is durable and easy to repair/replace. Add a radio system that is reliable and will serve you through the next few phases of the hobby, if you choose to continue.
For the plane, I suggest the GWS "Slow Stick" or "E-Starter".
For the radio system, an inexpensive four channel "starter" radio from one of the major brands, like a Hitec "Laser" or similar Futaba or JR.
Once you get that flying, you will find several threads here on upgrading the power system, if desired. The 4-channel radio will be useable on many other models like Sailplanes, Warplanes, Sport Aerobatic and Scale models.
Depending on your involvement, within a couple of years, you may want to upgrade the radio system. By then you will have gotten your money's worth and will have a much better idea of what to buy.
Just my $.02,
Ron
Old 12-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

I agree with Ron, 100%.

If you are interested, here is a build thread, where I am installing old ParkZone electronics in a new GWS Slow Stick. I assure you it will work very well.

Alternatively, you can purchase the following components, and build a very good quality Slow Stick for very little money:So -- that's a grand total of $212, plus shipping, unless my math is wrong... :o

Last edited by Lieutenant Loughead; 12-19-2007 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Added LiPo battery, and charger to the list.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:41 PM
denial15
Swede

Lt, You forgot the battery and charger. But other than that, that's some really good work. I wish someone had done hat for me when I decided to get serious in the hobby.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
Lt, You forgot the battery and charger. But other than that, that's some really good work. I wish someone had done hat for me when I decided to get serious in the hobby.
OOPS! I was late for work this morning, and it slipped my mind!!!

I actually thought of it while I was building the list, but by the time I got to the end, I simply forgot it...

I will update the list now... :o

Thank you for the catch!
Old 12-20-2007, 03:49 AM
Mark Wood
Owner: LipoSack.com

Thumbs up Park Flyers - Which brand is best?

To answer the question: GWS.

Lots to choose from, they all fly well (some better than others) and accept many different kinds of power systems. Easy to build, easy to repair and lots of inexpensive fun in between.

mw
Old 12-20-2007, 04:16 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
To answer your question, (which brand is best) -- I really like the GWS airplanes. They are inexpensive, fly great, and are easy to repair.
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
To answer the question: GWS.

Lots to choose from, they all fly well (some better than others) and accept many different kinds of power systems. Easy to build, easy to repair and lots of inexpensive fun in between.
Hey Mark -- if you're going to copy my work, at least do it in your own handwriting.

(Just kidding -- I'm glad we agree on GWS!)
Old 12-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Mark Wood
Owner: LipoSack.com

I thought it sounded familiar...

Deja vu is the feeling you've heard something before.

mw (GWS rules for foam Parkies)