"3696" Electric scale combat - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Combat Electric combat discussion in here.

"3696" Electric scale combat

Old 03-31-2007, 07:32 PM
cashrc

Default "3696" Electric scale combat

Hi ya'll..my name is Cash Hargett, and i live just north of Dallas in McKinney, Tx. I have been an active RCCA combat pilot for about 6 years now, and most of that time has been spent flying glow. One of outr local pilots, Lee Liddle, came up with a scale combat class for motors putting out roughly 170-200 watts on a 3-cell lipo swinging a Master Airscrew 9-6 at a 9000 rpm limit. These planes are designed to fly well at around 50 mph, and usually build to 28-32 ounces. They won't "furball", but will dogfight quite well, and are a blast to fly. They are also fairly rugged, as my Brester Buffalo took a hard hit from Ed kettler's Beaufighter, and the damage was relatively minor and easy to fix..(a hole in the wing and some servo gears) Here's some pics of my birds..

My Macchi 202

My Yak-3

The Brewster

And, the Bearcat

If anybody's interested on building techniques, power systems, etc, I will post any info here, or you can e-mail me, or check out the RCCA website at the WWII electric scale combat thread. There are quite a few other planes out there, including a couple of twins..lotsa fun!!

Cash

Last edited by cashrc; 03-31-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:04 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Thumbs up

Hey Cash,
You've got some sweet looking planes.
Welcome to Wattflyer, lotta good stuff goin' on here....
Old 04-08-2007, 04:24 AM
cashrc

Thanks, Bruce. I'm an active RCCA member, and I fly mostly glow combat, but I'm really digging the electric fighters. This was started last year by Lee, he wanted a good scale class that was all eletric, and easy to get into. The planes are limited to 36 inces in span, and 250 squares max. We've found out the hard way that "furballing" aircraft tend to midair more often..these planes will dogfight quite well, they just don't turn as hard as an open class ship. Some people think they weigh too much, but they fly quite nicely with about 160-180 watts up front. I'm using Elelctrfly outrunners and I'm barely pulling 16 amps at 9000 rpm-the exception is the Macchi, which is running a Park 400 inrunner and a Cobri Gearbox, and it pulls a bit less amps at the same RPM. They are fairly tough, as my aforementioned Brewster can testify to, and fairly easy to build. Since 36 ich span planes are pretty close to 12th scale, there's a ton of plans out there that can be converted to e-power and flown. In fact, the Machhi is an old Warbirds LTD glass and kevlar fuse that I had hanging around, I built up a blue foam wing and a wood tail and built it like a "kit", and it turned out nicely..

I'm not the only one flying these, but I didn't want to post the other guys planes without their permission..in Texas, there's my birds, Ed has a Mustang, the Beaufighter and a Focke-Wulf, Lee has a Stang, ME-410, ME-109, and a Corsair. Yjeres a couple of Hellcats and a P-47 in Florida, and a P-40 and a couple of Stangs in Colorado, and one member just did a BEAUTIFUL Sea Fury and posted the build pics on the RCCA website. Go to the RC combat forum at www.rccombat.com and check out the electric wwii fighter thread.

BTW, heres a link to a Quicktime clip of these things in action..Roy Appleton did the video..
http://www.rccagallery.com/video/200...7_LSN_3696.mp4

I've got a KI-43 planned, and there's more in the works, but the combat season is upon us, and experimental classes tend to slow fown a bit..hopefully this will be a provisional class for the RCCA soon..

Later!!

Cash
Old 04-08-2007, 05:18 AM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

Those look great! I've always been intrigued by Scale Combat, and I think it's great that it's moving over to the electric side of things as well. I wish there were more people in my area interested in it.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:35 AM
cashrc

Andy. thanks for the kind words..if you decide to build one of these, just give me an e-mail, or post questions here. They make great sport ships, and they can take some abuse, too...(ask me how I know!!) Anyway, there are still some scale kits that are around 36 inches that would be an easy conversion to electric, I think the JK Aerotech MIG-3 and FW-190 would work well...I would just delete the 2mm coro "sheeting" on the front of the fuse, and lay in 1/16th glass rods and tape instead..never know, build one or two, get a buddy interested, chase each other around at the local field and you might get some takers..

Cash
Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 AM
txcombatguy

Default Some more 3696 birds

Cash asked me to post a few of my scale electric birds. This is a Bristol Beaufighter powered by two 2409-18s, weighs about 39 ounces, uses two 1320 3S lipos for power. 45" wingspan. Currently down waiting for new shafts after a midair with Cash.

This is my FW-190D9. It is covered in packing tape, primed, then airbrushed with Polly Scale acrylic paints. All blue foam, coroplast tail, pop bottle cowl.

And here is a Lee Liddle kitted P-51D, a little worse for wear after a couple of midairs and some run ins with Mother Nature. Still going strong!
Old 04-13-2007, 02:17 PM
tha king

Hello!

Beautiful planes. I will make P 40 Warhawk. can you tell me how you covered plane, with what?

Many thanks
Old 04-13-2007, 02:48 PM
txcombatguy

tha king,

Thanks for the kind words.

The P-51 is covered with Zagi (AKA packing) tape. The Beaufighter is covered with low temp Ultracoat and painted with Monokote Olive Drab. The FW-190 was covered in packing tape, scuffed with steel wool, cleaned with alcohol, then primed and painted with acrylic model paints using an airbrush.

Lots of different ways to get 'er done
Old 04-13-2007, 06:44 PM
cashrc

Lots of different ways to get 'er done
Thats true...the Yak is covered in Easykote, sprayed gray on the bottom, the Brewster is covered in Ultrakote and Econokote, the F8F in Econokote, and the Machhi is covered in Litekote, sprayed with Lustrekote paint for the base, bottom and camo...

I've also found that by looking at the parts list for GWS fighters and the Parkzone WW2 planes, you can get part numbers for various decal sheets, canopies, etc.. I'm a cheap so and so at heart, but sometimes time costs more than money..

Cash
Old 04-13-2007, 10:58 PM
tha king

Great, I learned something new

For moment I have only one ELECTRIC combat plane. That is Corsair:
Old 04-13-2007, 11:17 PM
cashrc

Nice looking Corsair!! Whats the specs? (motor, span, weight,etc..) Looks good, King!!

Cash
Old 04-13-2007, 11:23 PM
tha king

Motor is Bmi-spitz 170 W, I used 3S Kokam Lipo 910 mAh, Wingspan is 82 cm, weight about 450 g)...
All parts was cutted by CNC:

lp
Old 04-13-2007, 11:35 PM
cashrc

BMI-spitz...hmmm.....found their website, for some reason the name of the company seems familiar. I spen some time in Germany when I was in the Air Force, spent a LOT of off-duty time in the local hobby shops in Kaiserslautern, Zweibrucken and Landstuhl, might be where I saw the name. How are the motors, good?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:39 PM
tha king

Originally Posted by cashrc View Post
BMI-spitz...hmmm.....found their website, for some reason the name of the company seems familiar. I spen some time in Germany when I was in the Air Force, spent a LOT of off-duty time in the local hobby shops in Kaiserslautern, Zweibrucken and Landstuhl, might be where I saw the name. How are the motors, good?
Yes I have 2 of their motors(spitz is just serie of BMI motors) and both work great with no problem!

http://www.bmi-models.com/site/index.php?p=6

Old 04-13-2007, 11:44 PM
cashrc

Good looking kit too, looks like it was CNC cut. Just did the conversion on your plane, about 32 inch span and 16 ozs, nice bird!! Gotta go now, I'm at work, end of the day it's either hectic or slow, today it was slow...

Need to check the weather too, they're talking about tornados and hail....

Later!!

Cash
Old 12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Cash, as I told you already, I dig your planes! I just wanted to subscribe to this thread so I can find it more easily than jumping through my old posts. Keep up the good work and thanks for putting out information on combat 3696 specs. I have an all-foam P-40 Warhawk that will make a good combat plane- if and when my skills get to that level. Again, great information. Enjoy your flying time!

Bob
Old 12-06-2007, 04:59 AM
txcombatguy

A couple more planes from the Kettler Flugzeugwerks. The SBD was scratch built from blue foam, and the Zero and Hamp are prototypes for CNC kits we hope to offer soon. The current plane in the shop is a 45" wingspan He-219